Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 Predications

Options
  • 18-02-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

As spring training is under way, i thought i'd get the ball rolling on the 2009 season. After an offseason full of stories i'm starting to get excited about the season again. So here are my playoff predications..

AL East: Red Sox
    AL Central: Indians
    AL West: Texas
    Wild Card: Yankees/Rays (too close to call)

NL East: Mets
    NL Central: Cubs
    NL West: Giants
    NL Wildcard: Reds (going for a long shot!!)

Above are my thoughts on the year ahead. As a red sox fan i had to be biased there, alot of the other selections are rolls of the dice admitingly. I think the Indians will bounce back in the central and surely Texas are now finally ready to take a wide open division. In the NL the giants and reds could go to the playoffs as both have very young quality players in their sides.

Who do other people think will make the playoffs???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

pfffft! Dodgers all the way baby :)

Cubs to tease all the IL fans again by flirting with triumph!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nick_Angel

Those predictions are pretty ridiculous, you'll be very lucky if half of them come up.

The AL East is a toss-up, I'll give you the Red Sox. The AL central is there for the taking I think, but I think its more likely to be Minnesota. To Say the AL West is wide open is just daft, the Angels won the most games in baseball last year and losing K-Rod won't change that. I do think the Mets can win the NL East but theres no way the Phillies wont get at least the wildcard. The Giants have no offense period and yes I suppose the Cubs can win the central. There is absolutely no way the Reds will get the woldcard, in fact it would not suprise me if they were the worst team in baseball this year since they lost both Dunn and Griffey.

My predictions:

AL East: Yankees
    AL Central: Twins
    AL West: Angels
    Wildcard: Red Sox

NL West: Dodgers
    Wildcard: Phillies

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Nick_Angel wrote: »
    Those predictions are pretty ridiculous, you'll be very lucky if half of them come up.

The AL East is a toss-up, I'll give you the Red Sox. The AL central is there for the taking I think, but I think its more likely to be Minnesota. To Say the AL West is wide open is just daft, the Angels won the most games in baseball last year and losing K-Rod won't change that. I do think the Mets can win the NL East but theres no way the Phillies wont get at least the wildcard. The Giants have no offense period and yes I suppose the Cubs can win the central. There is absolutely no way the Reds will get the woldcard, in fact it would not suprise me if they were the worst team in baseball this year since they lost both Dunn and Griffey.

My predictions:

AL West: Angels
    Wildcard: Red Sox

NL West: Dodgers
    Wildcard: Phillies

In fairness if you read the predications correctly i did say a couple were outside shots. You are saying that the reds could be the worse team in baseball because of losing griffey. You couldnt be more wrong. While griffey was a great teammate, he is not the same player he once was. Players like Jay Bruce and Joey Votto are going to be stars and with the rotation being a big positive, you cant help but like their chances of an upset. Def not the worse team in the league, far from it..

As for your picks, they are all obvious and you have to agree that each year throws up a couple of surprise teams. I'll give you the Giants offence is poor but their rotation will carry them a long way in a poor division. If the Dodgers struggle then why not the giants..

The angels madea great signing with Abreu and that may keep them on top if Fuentes settles into the closing role.. But you cant dismiss any team in that division, they all could be good or bad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nick_Angel

I agree Votto and Bruce are great prospects, I just think they're a year or two away from making the Reds a force....volquez was outstanding alright, but tailed off a little...it'll be interesting to see how he is this year, Harang is very good but not sure after that, I dont rate Cueto...I just think they have too many question marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Certainly some wild ones there Kinda....I can't see the Red Sox doing it this year and Texas? No way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

zuutroy wrote: »
    Certainly some wild ones there Kinda....I can't see the Red Sox doing it this year and Texas? No way.

Yeah i guess that Texas is a bit out there alright!! I think Andruw Jones could have a big year.. Admittingly angels will be tough as usual in the west though.. As for the Red Sox, the AL east is a beast of a division and could go anyway, but i'm actually positive about the Sox.. Think the off season moves were very positive (if Saito and Smoltz are fit and injury free they will be huge contributors)..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭ADTR

Mariners for the AL West!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Kinda32... good prediction. My changes to the list would be: Mariners in the AL West and Phillies take AL Central (the Mets have zero money for any mid-season changes).

Of course, my Red Sox will take it all the way. :) (Btw, I have tickets for the Sox & Yankees at Fenway in August)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Jhazon wrote: »
    Kinda32... good prediction. My changes to the list would be: Mariners in the AL West and Phillies take AL Central (the Mets have zero money for any mid-season changes).

Of course, my Red Sox will take it all the way. :) (Btw, I have tickets for the Sox & Yankees at Fenway in August)

wow I've only been away a few days and the phillies have moved central and changed league ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,595 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't post much here but I am a huge fan of the Boston Red Sox since the mid nineties. I spent many enjoyable afternoons and evenings in Fenway, I love the place.

Anyways my predictions are as follows.

AL East: Red Sox
    AL West: A's
    Wildcard: Rays

NL East: Braves
    NL West: Giants
    Wildcard: Mets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Mad_Max wrote: »
    wow I've only been away a few days and the phillies have moved central and changed league ;)

Wasn't sure what you meant at first, lol... it was late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

ADTR wrote: »
    Mariners for the AL West!

I'm assuming that's a joke. :)
    zuutroy wrote: »

I wouldn't say "no way" to Texas personally. I mean the Angels have to be favourites given that they were the best in the regular last year and are miles ahead this pre-season BUT they did win an awful lot of tight games last year. Think i read a stat about them having the most 1 run games or something so Their offence wasn't pounding them out and their pitching was top notch. They've lost on offence with tex going even with abreau coming in and with Lackey, Santana and Escobar starting on the DL they might lose some ground early with the young pitchers filling in.

The A's have reloaded and I think will make a great run at it plus Texas' offence is stacked just depends on their arms so it could be closer than expected. I still think the Angels will come through in the end mind.

I wouldn't discount the tigers from discussions in the AL Central either, Not saying they'll win necessarily but they won't be as bad as last year.Cabrera will have a big year after getting used to the AL and with Inge getting back to the hot corner he'll give some better Defense and his bat should be better without having to catch. Jacksins not a bad addition to the rotation either.

The mets seem an obvious or at least strong choice for AL East after addressing the closer and set up roles but they still have issues with the bridge to them and with pelfrey, perez and maine I wonder how many games will be gone before putz or K-Rod get in. Still I think theres a great battle in that division.

I think the AL East depends on the yankees rotation. If it clicks you have to fancy them to be right in there. I mean they were only 8 back with ponson, pavano, aceves, coke et al making starts not to mention the disaster that was hughes and kennedy and wang going down. You have to think that CC, AJ can easily replace the two :) Also Arod being out for a while aint the worst thing to ever happen!!

They still have a massive challenge to beat out the other two, I think the sox have added nicely to their pen and lowell looks better this spring. Questions about ortiz maybe but still a great lineup.

ooooh its getting close... cant wait!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

NL East: Phillies (Yeah Baby!)
    NL Central: Cardinals
    NL West: Diamondbacks
    NL Wildcard: Cubs

AL Central: Indians
    AL West: Angles
    AL Wildcard: Red Sox

World Series will see a Phillies repeat performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

ALE: Sockies
    ALC: Cleveland
    ALW: Halos
    ALWC: Jays

NLE: Marlins
    NLC: Cubbies
    NLW: LA
    NLWC: Brew Crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GodOfRadio

Cubbies BLOW. Tampa is going to pull it out this year. Maybe Milwaukee.

Advertisement