Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window specs, not u values.

Options
  • 19-09-2019 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

When ordering windows, they are ordered as per engineers spec at the start of the build.

I have a u value in the ber assessment.

The concern I have is that the house will end up like a green house from heat gain through the windows.
    A friend left her house yesterday evening and returned at midnight. She said the heat was in excess of 25 degrees. There are plenty of South facing double glazed windows in her house and this will be similar setup to mine. The heating system, underfloor, has been off all summer.
    Surely if the heat can get in, as per above, it can get out of there's a solar gain to the level the house is uncomfortable??

Is anyone specing a value for heat gain? I think it's a k value, and if so, what is specced? I don't want a hot house that I won't be able to sleep in.
    I will have mhrv for circulation but I know that won't cool the house.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Triple glazed units have lower solar transmittance (g-value) than double glazed therefore less solar gain.
    Make sure your mvhr unit has a summer bypass option.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

youre friends house isnt designed for passive cooling then..... its easy enough to include for at design stage

Advertisement