Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary shed issue.

Options
  • 10-09-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I would really appreciate help with this issue.

Our home is situated on a long, narrow site. The boundary between ourselves and our neighbour is approximately 100 metres.

Straddling a 15 metre stretch of this boundary is the back of our neighbour's shed, made of galvanise sheeting.

(When I say 'straddling' - there had once been a wooden post-and-rail fence which has long since rotted away. However, our neighbours say this represented the actual boundary, which it probably did.)

The shed is in very poor condition and many of the galvanise sheets are collapsing and rusting away with holes in them. This is obviously completely devaluing my property as it looks disgusting.

Do I have any rights to tidy up the back of the shed (new galvanise sheets, paint etc.)?
    Or do I even have the right to demand my neighbour clean it up? Obviously I don't want to go down that road as I'd be willing to do it myself, but it would be interesting to know.

Does the back of the shed now constitute the boundary as it is a structure built so close to the previous boundary?

I know this area is a legal minefield. I also know that it is advisable to keep the peace with our neighbours. I would just like to know what the facts are in this situation.

I would really appreciate any help with this.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

welcome to Boards
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/enacted/en/print#part8-chap3

rights and obligation of both parties set out here

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnFord7

Thank you for the welcome! And thank you for that link, but I have read it a number of times previously and I'm still not quite sure where I stand.

Reading that, my understanding of it is that a.) the back of the shed now constitutes the boundary and/or b.) I'm entitled to clean up the back of the shed.

I may be very wrong though...

Advertisement