Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floor and Roof insulation for breathable house

• 14-12-2017 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Working on renovating 1910ish house .Typical 2 story farmhouse of the time.
    Thick stone walls ,now with wet dash - practically no foundations and the ground floor is a simple suspended timber floor over dirt no more than 8 inches below the floorboards. The floor plates (which have probably been in situ over 100 years) ,there is one damp patch and one or two corner presses have a slight mould , so will be lifting the boards that I thought I would have been able to keep, and since lifting wondering what would be the best type of insulation?
    I plan on later picking walls and applying hemp lime to walls and felting roof , also wondering what roof insulation would be best for breathable house?
    And preferable most cost effective, is it worth the cost to insulate floors?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Have you used the search function?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Howzit17

Some unfinished answers for stone house floor insulation, plenty cavity wall floor insulation posts.wasnt sure if same measure to be taken with stone wall

Best wall insulation in an old stone house: hemp lime or calcium silicate, or anything breathable that doesn’t suffer from mould.

Roof, Are you taking of the existing and starting again? If so breathable felt and mineral wool or cellulose would be breathable options with intello vapour barrier internally.

Floors is a tough one, depends on disruption. If your not doing the floors it may be best to consider external wall insulation

Cheers Bryan ,
    Yeah having trouble deciding what to put under the floor.
    Builder suggested just putting some rubble and cement and putting boards back on...I would like to keep original boards, but thinking might loose a lot when pulling them up.
    the same builder didn't know what I was on about when I mentioned hemp lime, so I guess I will just do that myself at a later stage when have time.
    Yes, the slates will come off as there is no felt at all on now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Howzit17 wrote: »
    Cheers Bryan ,
    Builder suggested just putting some rubble and cement and putting boards back on...I would like to keep original boards, but thinking might loose a lot when pulling them up.
    the same builder didn't know what I was on about when I mentioned hemp lime, so I guess I will just do that myself at a later stage when have time.
    Red flag right there. Don't take conservation advice from a builder who doesn't understand conservation.

There are horror stories about combining old and new construction techniques and materials.

https://passivehouseplus.ie/forum/showthread.php?1138-Thick-Cottage-Walls-Should-I-Insulate

• Advertisement

Cheers man,
    That's what I know.will get him to do the work he good at

Cheers Bryan ,
    Hemplime is a wet trade, mind your construction sequence. You could always look at an of the shelf product, but the breathable options can appear costly against the cheap dry-lining options such as plasterboard slabs - be careful who you listen to, interstitial condensation and mould are a consequence.

Sounds like You must do details for the builder. Particularly eaves detail. No doubt some sole plate repair will be required and concrete will be the go-to material so thermal bridging must be considered.

Look up ‘leca’ for the floor - for a product that will work with the likes of limeCrete.. If your messing with concrete you could just do a traditional radon/EPS/concrete floor

Finally got a quote for the roof...

Erect Scaffolding
    Strip & Refelt Roof
    New Laths
    Relead Chimney, and plaster
    New P.V.C Fascia & Guttering
    1 side of roof roof with exsisting slates and the other side new "Bangor" slates and new ridge tiles
    Labour & Materials
    5,750 Euro
    Any ideas how much "mineral wool or cellulose would be breathable options with intello vapour barrier internally" should add to this cost?Any preference on which to use? I've yet to get a quote for this.
    And since getting a new roof with extended overhang, External insulation will now be possible, but is there any trouble applying this to a wetdash finish? see photo link below
    https://imgur.com/tj5mKFo
    Just want to Get the Roof and walls sealed 1st, then can concentrated on picking the walls and applying the hemp myself at a later time, do you think this would be the correct construction sequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hochnie

Finally got a quote for the roof...

Erect Scaffolding
    Strip & Refelt Roof
    New Laths
    Relead Chimney, and plaster
    New P.V.C Fascia & Guttering
    1 side of roof roof with exsisting slates and the other side new "Bangor" slates and new ridge tiles
    Labour & Materials
    5,750 Euro
    Any ideas how much "mineral wool or cellulose would be breathable options with intello vapour barrier internally" should add to this cost?Any preference on which to use? I've yet to get a quote for this.
    And since getting a new roof with extended overhang, External insulation will now be possible, but is there any trouble applying this to a wetdash finish? see photo link below
    https://imgur.com/tj5mKFo
    Just want to Get the Roof and walls sealed 1st, then can concentrated on picking the walls and applying the hemp myself at a later time, do you think this would be the correct construction sequence?

Hi. Any chance you could message me the details of the roofer you used for this job?
    What method did you use for insulating the floor?

Advertisement