Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethically sourced Nespresso alternative

Options
  • 17-06-2020 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

I have been watching Channel 4's Dispatches: Starbucks and Nespresso: The Truth About Your Coffee and I would prefer to now order capsules for my Nespresso machine from a supplier that does not use child labour.

Is there an alternative online for good quality coffee where I can order capsules that will fit the machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

you could purchase the re-useable puds and use a ground coffee from any of the many suppliers. reduced waste and choice of coffee etc - its win win

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

Thanks, it is actually someone else's machine and I have floated that idea, they are considering it but also asking if there is any ethically sourced ready-made pods?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks, it is actually someone else's machine and I have floated that idea, they are considering it but also asking if there is any ethically sourced ready-made pods?

If it fits the machine then it can't be ethical because the company is paying to use the Nespresso name.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Coffee & Kin or Halo are ethically sourced and the pods are biodegradable

Have to get them online though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Coffee & Kin or Halo are ethically sourced and the pods are biodegradable

Have to get them online though

Still supporting Nespresso because they will have to pay for the licence. If you don't want to support Nespresso then you can't use any official products for their equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah you’ve made that point earlier.

Indirectly paying Nestle licence money on pods isn’t creating demand for coffee pods made from beans harvested by children or whatever, no more than buying a bottle of Vittel water is.

Of course Nestle isn’t a nice company. That’s a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I don't think a licence is necessary to manufacture and sell Nespresso-compatible pods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

This is probably what you are looking for.

https://colonnacoffee.com/products/capsules-all-3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Espresso machine. But organic / fair trade ground coffee.

Cheapest espresso machine can be had for 100 quid.
    Ground coffee to avoid the need to grind it.
    Making a coffee doesn't take much more time once you're up to speed.
    Much better taste, no plastic, no waste (only compostable used up ground coffee).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

We have been drinking coffee for decades without the need for fancy pods. Just grind and add water!!

• Advertisement

McGiver wrote: »
    Espresso machine. But organic / fair trade ground coffee.

Cheapest espresso machine can be had for 100 quid.
    Ground coffee to avoid the need to grind it.
    Making a coffee doesn't take much more time once you're up to speed.
    Much better taste, no plastic, no waste (only compostable used up ground coffee).

I use beans myself but the person I was asking for is set on their machine. Compostable pods filled with Lavazza arrived from coffeeclick.ie and they are very happy with them.

wildwillow wrote: »
    We have been drinking coffee for decades without the need for fancy pods. Just grind and add water!!

Personally, I hate Nespresso machines!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

+1 on the reusable pod. I have a gusto machine. Bought the reusable pod about 18months ago and I use it all day.
    Means i can buy from the interweb, 3fe or Aldi. Everything fits and i can just follow the flavours I like.
    I wouldn't be the most green person, but the amount of plastic I was using was getting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I use beans myself but the person I was asking for is set on their machine. Compostable pods filled with Lavazza arrived from coffeeclick.ie and they are very happy with them.

Why would you try and force your views on them then?

How about you do you and let them do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I dig the old grounds out of the pods wash them and put them in the recycling.
    Grounds go to compost.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I dig the old grounds out of the pods wash them and put them in the recycling.
    Grounds go to compost.

Nice!

Advertisement