Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supporting craft breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Christ.. definitely remiscent of Glasto ticket morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pen Rua wrote: »
    It's the most I've ever spent on beer (60/4 = €15 per bottle - crude calc that ignores the fancy smancy glass and that there are 2 x 2020 bottles and 2 x 2018 bottles) so I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

Could never bring myself to pay more than €8-9 for a very high quality / limited edition beer - now I do 4 in one go!

Having been suckered in by Mikkeller in the past, this felt like a bargain.
    Basq wrote: »
    Christ.. definitely remiscent of Glasto ticket morning! :D

Ha. Even when I got in I was disbelieving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd probably not normally spend that much on a few beers but I'm putting it down as something special to drink over the Christmas period, plus I'm not getting to go out to the pub for another 2 weeks by the looks of it so I can afford to spend a bit more on fancier beer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

RasTa wrote: »
    It's because I know 200 is a tenner and I've no interest in a glass. So I'd basically be paying €20 for those two specials.
    I'd have been a lot more interested in two-year-old double-barrel-aged imperial stout if they hadn't added sweetshop flavourings to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Having been suckered in by Mikkeller in the past, this felt like a bargain.

What you get and how much? Pliney?

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'd have been a lot more interested in two-year-old double-barrel-aged imperial stout if they hadn't added sweetshop flavourings to it.

It's not Omnipollo levels in fairness. One of them is just coffee beans.

No issue now on Galway Bay site and 200 Fathoms box still in stock.

One of them is just coffee beans.
    There's no call for it, I say*.

*apart from the massive consumer demand

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I liked the 200 Fathoms in the past but I won’t be paying €50 for 3 bottles and a glass.

If they are in off licenses I will pick up plenty of them if they are at the €9-€10 euro mark like previous years.

Can you call Galway bay a craft beer crowd anymore, they are pretty big?

I am bit fed up with the prices of craft beer, fairly normal to see €6 a can and more, just getting too expensive.

If they are in off licenses I will pick up plenty of them if they are at the €9-€10 euro mark like previous years.
    It will be.
    Can you call Galway bay a craft beer crowd anymore, they are pretty big?
    You can. How big do you think they are?

• Advertisement

It will be.

You can. How big do you think they are?

I had to look it up but €18m revenue in 2018 and they have 10-12 pubs listed on their site. That is fairly big?

There’s bigger than Galway Bay using the description isn’t there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bradley's will have a special barrel aged stout from DOT next week to celebrate 170 years in business.

http://www.bradleysofflicence.ie/bradleys-1850-celebration-imperial-stout-barrel-aged/
    Produced especially to celebrate the 170th anniversary of the foundation of Bradley's. This is a limited edition imperial stout, single barrel aged in 1991 Irish single malt ex rum cask.

Rich, lush chocolate and molasses with a distinct Irish single malt fruity nose.

Someone ended up buying me the 3 bottle set, tried to get the 4 but it was sold out on payment page.

There’s bigger than Galway Bay using the description isn’t there?
    BrewDog $188.2m, Sierra Nevada $300m. I met an American beer writer visiting Ireland a few years back and he couldn't believe any Irish microbrewery is large enough to be sustainable. Even the bigger ones like Galway Bay, Porterhouse, Carlow and Rye River are quaintly tiny by international craft beer standards and there's a huge gulf between them and Ireland's Big Four multinationals.

Under European law, Ireland can give a small-breweries tax break to anyone making under 200,000hL a year. The cut-off point is currently set at 50,000hL. So no Irish micro is even a quarter of the way towards being considered non-small in European terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

Interesting. Could you suggest the Treaty ones you've tried which remind you of Australian pale ales? I got into craft beers over there so would be interested to try them out.

The Harris Pale ale reminds me of Little Creatures Pale Ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Only 10 Fathoms sets left apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What you get and how much? Pliney?

On further reflection and discussion with herself it was Omnipollo. Can't for the life of me remember the beers though. I will endeavour to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Why would you barrel age for the guts of two years only to add coffee &/or coconut?? I would have bought them, at that price if they left them as is.

I'll keep an eye out for a couple of bottle of 20. Still have a '17 & '18 knocking around this might be the year to open them.

Why would you barrel age for the guts of two years only to add coffee &/or coconut?? .

If I was cynical I would say the barrel aged didnt taste very good so they lashed in some coffee and coconut :)

• Advertisement

I don't see the issue with adding coffee and coconut. They get added to stouts all the time so why not combine it with barrel aging.

irish_goat wrote: »
    I don't see the issue with adding coffee and coconut. They get added to stouts all the time so why not combine it with barrel aging.
    Would you pay a premium for a whiskey product that had coffee and/or coconut added, or would you prefer just what the brewing, barrelling and blending produced by themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

If I was cynical I would say the barrel aged didnt taste very good so they lashed in some coffee and coconut :)

Never thought of that but (and only speculation) if it tasted bad before additions, it would probably taste poor anyways.

Interesting view though

Would you pay a premium for a whiskey product that had coffee and/or coconut added, or would you prefer just what the brewing, barrelling and blending produced by themselves?

I'm not sure there's a comparison to be made there, but plenty of cocktail bars will add premium whiskey to all sorts of ingredients.

Proof will be in the drinking but it wouldn't be the first barrel aged beer I've bought which has had things added. As above, if it's poor quality and appears like they've added coffee and coconut to cover it up I'll know for future reference.

irish_goat wrote: »
    As above, if it's poor quality and appears like they've added coffee and coconut to cover it up I'll know for future reference.
    For the record, I don't think for a second that this is the case.

They're still this brewery:
    https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/849958829009887232

Aging beers on coffee and coconut is going back centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Blacks are doing a bulk deal today (not just the brewery side of things).
    Purchase this deal via the item listing in the shop. You will get 1 case of beer and 4 bottles of Spirits! SAVE €135 PLUS FREE SHIPPING

1 case Kinsale Pale Ale (24X330ml Cans) €60

1 Bottle Blacks Irish Gin €45

1 Bottle Blacks Spiced Rum €55

1 Bottle Blacks Golden Rum €55

1 Bottle Black OPS Irish Whiskey €55

€270.00 €135.00

Seems pretty damn good to me and a lovely stock to have for the next couple of months.

KPA is a lovely beer too..

Why would you barrel age for the guts of two years only to add coffee &/or coconut?? I would have bought them, at that price if they left them as is.
    Good news! 2018 Double Barrel will be available without the additions as part of another box set, included with a bottle of 200 Fathoms 2020 and one of 200 Fathoms 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Basq wrote: »
    KPA is a lovely beer too..

Lovely beer all right but I can't work out why the most expensive place to buy it is direct from the brewery. Its always cheaper to pick it up at the local off license or even local shop.

Someone was telling me Yellowbelly were bought out by ID. The basically want the casks for whiskey and told them just make what you want. No idea if it is true but it would explain why they went dark on social media for a few months this year after being leaders at it for a while. Free delivery on their slabs is nice. Always great to open the door and find a slab of Citra pale ale there. Still in my top few Irish beers.

Advertisement