Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Letterkenny

Options
  • 02-07-2020 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Me and my girlfriend are considering moving to Letterkenny because I work remotely so we want to leave Dublin to buy a more affordable house. We're both from Dublin originally and I have a strong Dublin accent, is that likely to be a problem? I heard that in some parts of Ireland it's very hard to get accepted with a Dublin accent and people have even got beat up because of it. So I'm wondering how accepting the people of Letterkenny are of Dubs ? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Honestly I've only heard of people having a problem with Dublin people because that particular person would go around calling everyone from outside Dublin rednecks and shouting about how this and that were better in Dublin and looking down on people that weren't from Dublin. As long as you want to be part of the community here I don't think there would be any problems. Just don't come up here shouting about how much better you are because you're from the Dublin and nobody will even look twice

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

Vibrant, busy town in scenic county. Very affordable property and good shopping.Fairly low crime rate, good parks. Unfortunately, suffers from bad planning, awful traffic, very hilly, no public transport, overcrowded schools, wet, windy climate and isolated from the south. However, it has little virus and has good leisure centers and reasonably close to Derry airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

your both from dublin, your going to be moving 3 hours + away from your family and friends, unless your willing to make fairly drastic changes to your lifestyle i wouldnt recomend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Vibrant, busy town in scenic county. Very affordable property and good shopping.Fairly low crime rate, good parks. Unfortunately, suffers from bad planning, awful traffic, very hilly, no public transport, overcrowded schools, wet, windy climate and isolated from the south. However, it has little virus and has good leisure centers and reasonably close to Derry airport.

Letterkenny is actually quite a good town to rear kids. There are plenty of amenities, sports clubs cultural opportunities all in a relatively small area. Traffic can be a pain but usually only at certain times.
    I have 2 teenagers and they're well served.
    Pubs, restaurant are quite good and Donegal is the most scenic county in Ireland. (Fact, not an opinion)

You might miss Dublin for the big events. There is a acute hospital but cancer services etc are often elsewhere Galway usually.
    It is also mandatory that you become a Donegal supporter.

The Dublin accent thing won't be a problem, and i don't think we get enough dubs to have an anti Dublin issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

kbooax wrote: »
    Me and my girlfriend are considering moving to Letterkenny because I work remotely so we want to leave Dublin to buy a more affordable house. We're both from Dublin originally and I have a strong Dublin accent, is that likely to be a problem? I heard that in some parts of Ireland it's very hard to get accepted with a Dublin accent and people have even got beat up because of it. So I'm wondering how accepting the people of Letterkenny are of Dubs ? Thanks in advance

I'm English and have lived in Donegal for 27 years and am yet to be beaten up for my accent you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

fawlty682 wrote: »

Equally close to Donegal Airport which has daily flights to Dublin this would probably be of more interest to someone from Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

dinorebel wrote: »
    I'm English and have lived in Donegal for 27 years and am yet to be beaten up for my accent you'll be fine.

I've heard rumours there's roving gangs of local savages going door to door specifically listening out for Dublin accents though, OP better be careful :pac:

I've lived in Letterkenny on and off for 15 years, it'll take a bit of getting used to coming from Dublin but by rural Ireland standards its a decent town with plenty of services. Main issues is crap road and public transport links to the rest of the country and the lack of social events (a rally that attracts a 'certain demographic' is the social highlight of the year).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭macchoille

kbooax wrote: »

I’m originally from Leixlip (yeah not Dublin but not far off), been in Letterkenny since 1996 after I did my LC and got into college here. I can probably count on one hand the amount of times my accent was even brought up and I believe only once that I got a bit of abuse over it and that was back in 1998. So I wouldn’t worry at all about being from Dublin a problem. I sound like a ‘Northy’ now to people at back home including my family but still sound like a ‘Dub’ (I’m from Kildare !) to locals including my wife and kids.

However as other people have mentioned, both your families/friends will be about a 3 hour drive away (fastest I’ve ever got was about 2hrs 40), I would consider this. With the current climate of social distancing etc and that you work remotely , making a new network of friends etc could be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I've heard rumours there's roving gangs of local savages going door to door specifically listening out for Dublin accents though, OP better be careful :pac:

I've lived in Letterkenny on and off for 15 years, it'll take a bit of getting used to coming from Dublin but by rural Ireland standards its a decent town with plenty of services. Main issues is crap road and public transport links to the rest of the country and the lack of social events (a rally that attracts a 'certain demographic' is the social highlight of the year).
    The Errigal Arts Festival is on annually, the Arts Centre and An Grianain get good events throughout the year.......for a mid-sized Irish town, I wouldn't say it lacks social event. Compared to Dublin, sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 zemerin

I was going to make a very similiar post, was thinking of moving to Letterkenny or somewhere in Donegal...lived in Dublin for a long while now but live with family in Sligo till I can save up and move out. Wanna buy a house but no where is affordable bar Donegal or Limerick maybe (that has civilisation anyway)

To answer OPs question based on what I looked up it doesn't really seem to be an issue about the accent as long as you don't act like a big man from Dublin who's better than everyone else. Other than that youre grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

Accent is not a problem. If you can handle the windy/wet weather(it’s been windy and rained here every day this week), frustrating with such lovely beaches here, distance from concerts, games etc, very hilly with no public transport which hopefully may be improved, and overcrowded schools, it’s a good lively town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

cosanostra wrote: »
    Equally close to Donegal Airport which has daily flights to Dublin this would probably be of more interest to someone from Dublin

Better road to Derry

Advertisement