Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap water / filtered water

Options
  • 23-06-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I see that filtered water is recommended for making a brew rather than tap water. Does anyone know if it makes much of a difference? Or are we talking about marginal improvements...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Dublin tap water is soft and considered some of the best for espresso, no need for bottled... Not sure whether that is true of French Press or Filter...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Dublin tap water is soft and considered some of the best for espresso, no need for bottled... Not sure whether that is true of French Press or Filter...

Good to know. Nice one!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If lime doesn't build up on your kettle and your water tastes fine at room temperatueebthen you're grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I use a BWT jug with filters but only because we get our water from the Leixlip plant and I've used a couple of those test kits and our water's a wee bit hard (small bit of scale on kettles etc), so mostly just to convince myself that I don't need to do a full descale or the espresso machine that often.

Taste is pretty negligible to be honest. James Hoffman and a few others say that water plays a huge part in terms of brews, but I'm not sure if that's just because a lot of England etc have extremely hard water supplies compared to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I use a Britta filter as the water isn't suitable for filter in Dublin. It tastes a bit gross coming from the tap which I do feel makes a difference.. I've heard of people adding minerals to water too which Is probably a step too far for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

We had a boil notice here years ago and used get a smell of chemicals in the water for a time after so we started using a Britta filter which I've continued with for coffee. I find the cheap Amazon filters produce nicer water than the expensive Britta Maxtra ones but our water is pretty good now and not hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Bluefoam wrote: »
    barrac wrote: »
    Good to know. Nice one!

it depends on where in dublin you are, there are at least three different supply lines into DCC and the water profiles are different in each

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

it depends on where in dublin you are, there are at least three different supply lines into DCC and the water profiles are different in each

Drumcondra.

Drumcondra.

you are probably on the same supply as me then, which has always been full of bicarbonates, and chlorine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

I see that filtered water is recommended for making a brew rather than tap water. Does anyone know if it makes much of a difference? Or are we talking about marginal improvements...

Depends where you're living and what your water is like.

It's not just about taste.

If the water is very bad it can cause build up in machines too which means you'll have to clean them much more often

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You can check on Irish water:

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/water-hardness/

Enter your Eircode.

For me it gives 68 mg/l of Calcium which it says is soft. It says anything below 100mg is soft.

The WHO however has a different definition:
    Water containing calcium carbonate at concentrations below 60 mg/l is generally considered as soft; 60–120 mg/l, moderately hard; 120–180 mg/l, hard; and more than 180 mg/l, very hard (McGowan, 2000).

I use a Britta filter for my coffee, not sure how much difference it makes but I haven't had any issues with the espresso machine since I started doing this, where I was having issues previously. I have a machine that is pretty difficult to descale so this is worth it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

adrian522 wrote: »
    You can check on Irish water:

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/water-hardness/

Enter your Eircode.

For me it gives 68 mg/l of Calcium which it says is soft. It says anything below 100mg is soft.

The WHO however has a different definition:

I use a Britta filter for my coffee, not sure how much difference it makes but I haven't had any issues with the espresso machine since I started doing this, where I was having issues previously. I have a machine that is pretty difficult to descale so this is worth it for me.

No informformation available for my area...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Shows 73 for me.

I mostly use bottled water but I hadn't checked this previously

we're on the navan road, i find the water very hard- goes through kettles, shower head, has a shiny buildup on tea, leaves hair/skin oily

filter everything we drink/cook with these days and it makes a big difference to taste, cleans that film off the surface of the tea nicely, etc

those readings from the website are not to be taken as absolutes

they are a snapshot of a sample

what is especially noticeable is the amount of chlorine, after a spate of bad weather the chlorine gets ramped up for example.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

those readings from the website are not to be taken as absolutes

they are a snapshot of a sample

what is especially noticeable is the amount of chlorine, after a spate of bad weather the chlorine gets ramped up for example.

There are many samples though not just one. You can check all sorts of things, not just hardness.

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/

For chlorine I can see 126 tests this year and of those 5 had a reading of above recommended levels.

Advertisement