Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP!! (coffee extraction)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Aghh... This is wrecking my head...

Yesterday, I got a good shot.
    Grind size 8, 17 seconds
    The basket was slightly over filled & the puc stuck to the head (but a nice enough shot).

Tried the same today, but dropped the grind time to 16.6 seconds... no extraction...

Increased the grind incrementally until I got an extraction at 14 grind size, but the shot wasn't good, infact it was far from drinkable.

I'm pulling my hair out... All fun though.

Have ordered a stash of Kaph blend, so hoping I don't waste too much of that.
    You definitely should use scales to weight input /output.....
    It is all learning curve and practice.... Better machines and grinders give you SAME ,CONSISTENT results with less effort, but even with Sage/Delonghi you will get perfect shots sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Oh no! Before I realised what I was doing... I started logging my progress. I'm very sad now...

Grind: 14 sec, 15 size, 17.9g
    Output: 35.7g, 15.9 seconds, 17/05 sour

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Oh no! Before I realised what I was doing... I started logging my progress. I'm very sad now...

Grind: 14 sec, 15 size, 17.9g
    Output: 35.7g, 15.9 seconds, 17/05 sour

17.9g is a huge dose for the 54mm baskets. Drop the dose to 16g and aim for 34g in the cup in 25-28 seconds.

Keep your grind where it is, drop the dose and see what happens, then adjust the grind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

When it is 18 g at 16 sec, hardly possible to get 16g in 25-28 sec with the same grind settings, otherwise totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

alec76 wrote: »
    When it is 18 g at 16 sec, hardly possible to get 16g in 25-28 sec with the same grind settings, otherwise totally agree.

At the start it's good to see what changing only one parameter does. The grind will need to drop by about 5 clicks I'd imagine before he's close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

17.9g is a huge dose for the 54mm baskets. Drop the dose to 16g and aim for 34g in the cup in 25-28 seconds.

Keep your grind where it is, drop the dose and see what happens, then adjust the grind.

I started on 18g in the basket when I bought my Barista Express, it was veryyy hit and miss tho. Dropped to 16g as someone told me 18g was a lot for that basket, much better results.

I still find it hard to get past 25 seconds, even on like a 3 grind setting. The coffee is really nice tho.

I just wanted to say: agggghhhhhhhhhh

That is all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

When I had a GC, I used the pressurised basket at first.....for a while. Nice crema n all that but reading on line, was told most people don't use them, not a natural flow. It's the pin hole one right?

If so, I'd stash it away and use the normal basket. Takes a while to get it sorted re grind size etc but persevere. I used to weigh and time everything etc but after a while you'll get the hand of it. Actually, it was my wife who suggested to grind coarser (Baratza Encore). Hate to admit it but she was right. Too fine and not alot was coming out, portafilter was working it's way off and destroying the gaff!! Too much pressure, water wasn't coming through the coffee.

Like now, Rocket Appartamento, I had to buy the E61 thermometer to get used to how much to flush out the "boiling water" to get it down to the right brewing temp. It cost me about €100 or so. But essential to begin with. I was all over the place.
    Trial and error and a few dozen brews it's second nature now and I don't really need the E61 brewhead thermometer. (Won't be selling it though, I don't think :D)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you never see other espresso makers using a pressurised basket.

Planet X wrote: »
    When I had a GC, I used the pressurised basket at first.....for a while. Nice crema n all that but reading on line, was told most people don't use them, not a natural flow. It's the pin hole one right?

If so, I'd stash it away and use the normal basket. Takes a while to get it sorted re grind size etc but persevere. I used to weigh and time everything etc but after a while you'll get the hand of it. Actually, it was my wife who suggested to grind coarser (Baratza Encore). Hate to admit it but she was right. Too fine and not alot was coming out, portafilter was working it's way off and destroying the gaff!! Too much pressure, water wasn't coming through the coffee.

Like now, Rocket Appartamento, I had to buy the E61 thermometer to get used to how much to flush out the "boiling water" to get it down to the right brewing temp. It cost me about €100 or so. But essential to begin with. I was all over the place.
    Trial and error and a few dozen brews it's second nature now and I don't really need the E61 brewhead thermometer. (Won't be selling it though, I don't think :D)

Correct me if I'm wrong but you never see other espresso makers using a pressurised basket.

Not using pressurised baskets

14 sec, 15 grind, 17.9, 35.7g out, 15.9 seconds, 17/05 sour, dry puck
    13.6 sec, 15 grind, 17g, 31g out, 15.3 seconds 17/05 bitter, wet puck, bad
    15 sec, 12 grind, 17.63g, 9g out, 23.39 seconds,, 18/05 not good
    14 sec, 12 grind. 17g, 1.7g out, 15seconds, 18/05 nothing to show
    13 sec, 12 grind, 15.26g, 23g out, 16sec, 18/05 slightly sloppy puck

I need to stop drinking coffee for a while... I'm not sure where to go next with this. Might aim for a 16g grind at size 13... I'm nowhere near getting the extract time I'm looking for, although taste is a bit better. I wasn't expecting to spend a week trying to get the basics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

14 sec, 15 grind, 17.9, 35.7g out, 15.9 seconds, 17/05 sour, dry puck
    13.6 sec, 15 grind, 17g, 31g out, 15.3 seconds 17/05 bitter, wet puck, bad
    15 sec, 12 grind, 17.63g, 9g out, 23.39 seconds,, 18/05 not good
    14 sec, 12 grind. 17g, 1.7g out, 15seconds, 18/05 nothing to show
    13 sec, 12 grind, 15.26g, 23g out, 16sec, 18/05 slightly sloppy puck

I need to stop drinking coffee for a while... I'm not sure where to go next with this. Might aim for a 16g grind at size 13... I'm nowhere near getting the extract time I'm looking for, although taste is a bit better. I wasn't expecting to spend a week trying to get the basics.

Try and keep the amount your putting into the portafilter the same and the output, you need consistency to try and get the right variables.

So for example, use 16g every time and get 32g out. Then you try and adjust the grind finer to get closer to your desired time. Try and tamp evenly and with the same pressure each time.

The less variables you change the easier it'll be to dial in.

Try and keep the amount your putting into the portafilter the same and the output, you need consistency to try and get the right variables.

So for example, use 16g every time and get 32g out. Then you try and adjust the grind finer to get closer to your desired time. Try and tamp evenly and with the same pressure each time.

The less variables you change the easier it'll be to dial in.

That seems like a reasonable approach... I'm gonna take a break from it till tomorrow, for everything I've listed above, there's more that wasn't worth recording...

I feel like I'm at least understanding what I'm doing a bit more, so hopefully should get closer to a good shot soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

It's a pity its so difficult sourcing those baskets, I ordered mine last week said mid to end of June delivery time.

Actually it arrived this morning, going to try it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just had my first coffee with non pressurised basket, dialled Sage Pro to12 and it produced a richer espresso than I could get with my pressurised basket at grind size 20 which I had to use due to it choking Dedica on a lower grind size. Delighted for the change around a tenner made.

The cappucino I'm getting is usually quite tastey... But the espresso isn't so good... Any advice would be appreciated:

15 grind, 17.9g, --- Out: 35.7g, 15.9 seconds, 17/05 sour, dry puck, decent *
    15 grind, 17g, --- Out: 31g, 15.3 seconds 17/05 bitter, wet puck, bad
    12 grind, 17.63g, --- Out: 9g, 23.39 seconds,, 18/05 not good
    12 grind. 17g, --- Out: 1.7g, 15seconds, 18/05 nothing to show
    12 grind, 15.26g, --- Out: 23g, 16 seconds, 18/05 slightly sloppy puck
    13 grind, 15.93g, --- Out: 27.7, 20 seconds, 18/05 wetish puck
    13 grind, 16.73, --- Out: 30.85g, 16 seconds, 19/05 wet puck stuck to PF*
    12 grind, 15.64, --- Out: 32.29g, 17.54 sec, 20/05 bitter, wet puk stk 2 Pk
    12 grind, 15.7g, --- Out: 17g, 21.94 seconds, sour
    12 grind, 16.74g, --- Out: 28.71g, 16.63 seconds,
    11 grind, 16.77g, --- Out: 9.96g. 22.6 seconds
    11 grind, 16g, --- Out: 1g, 24.51 seconds

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You need to change 1 thing at a time. So start with 17g, grind 12 (or whatever) and pull the shot until you get to around 35g. How long does it take. If it takes longer than 30 seconds, change to a coarser grind setting, if it takes shorter than 25 seconds go with a finer grind.

Got some advice over at the sage user group on Facebook...

14 grind at 19g... Here's what I got:
    27.8g, 19.36 seconds... It's a huge improvement, I'm much closer now!!!

Advertisement