Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's First 24hr City Bus Service to launch in Cork

Options
  • 29-12-2018 12:48am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It's long been rumoured that it will happen, but seems that Cork has pipped Dublin to be the first route to operate 24 hours from 13th January.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=3267&month=Dec
    Route 220: Ballincollig – City Centre – Carragaline - Crosshaven
    The timetable on this route will be significantly enhanced with core frequency being doubled throughout the day. The main service enhancements are as follows:

- The route will now operate 24hrs per day.
    - Core weekday frequency will be doubled from every 30mins to every 15mins from 6am until midnight.
    - 30min/60min frequency will operate between midnight and 6am
    - Core weekend frequency will increase to every 15mins from 9am until midnight
    - All services will now operate to Grange Manor (Ballincollig)
    - All services will now serve the Carragaline Primary Care Centre
    - Every second service will now operate to Crosshaven

Route 220x: Fountainstown – Crosshaven - Carragaline – City Centre – Ballincollig
    The timetable on this route will continue to operate as at present however departure times from certain stops have been revised to reflect actual journey times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

devnull wrote: »
    It's long been rumoured that it will happen, but seems that Cork has pipped Dublin to be the first route to operate 24 hours from 13th January.

http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=3267&month=Dec
    Route 220: Ballincollig – City Centre – Carragaline - Crosshaven
    The timetable on this route will be significantly enhanced with core frequency being doubled throughout the day. The main service enhancements are as follows:

- The route will now operate 24hrs per day.
    - Core weekday frequency will be doubled from every 30mins to every 15mins from 6am until midnight.
    - 30min/60min frequency will operate between midnight and 6am
    - Core weekend frequency will increase to every 15mins from 9am until midnight
    - All services will now operate to Grange Manor (Ballincollig)
    - All services will now serve the Carragaline Primary Care Centre
    - Every second service will now operate to Crosshaven

Route 220x: Fountainstown – Crosshaven - Carragaline – City Centre – Ballincollig
    The timetable on this route will continue to operate as at present however departure times from certain stops have been revised to reflect actual journey times.
    Haandy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Any particular reason why Cork was chosen ahead of Dublin? Surely it makes far more sense in Dublin as it's a far bigger city? Although Cork doesn't have any nitelinks but they hardly count as proper 24h transport.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cork is about the size of Brighton that has multiple 7 day night buses. Smaller city to contain the mess if it's not used basically

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is that stopping in ballincolig or keeping going to ovens...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Any particular reason why Cork was chosen ahead of Dublin? Surely it makes far more sense in Dublin as it's a far bigger city? Although Cork doesn't have any nitelinks but they hardly count as proper 24h transport.

The difference is probably the driving force, if I'm not mistaken I read a while back a Parliamentary Question where it was mentioned that it was BE who approached the NTA about running 24 hours, whereas in Dublin it is the NTA who are pushing DB for the 24 hour service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... and severe union backlash as well as an old agreement I've seen on here means it is much more difficult for DB to do it in Dublin.

I predict myself that this will be rowed back quite quickly.... but I hope not. I fear there may not be a ridership to be worth buses at 3am or 4am. But I really hope I'm wrong. In any case a precedent has been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Fairly rubbish they haven't made any improvements to the 216 or 223.

The 223 has 2hour gaps between buses in the evenings, which is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

... and severe union backlash as well as an old agreement I've seen on here means it is much more difficult for DB to do it in Dublin.

Realy? Nights are not for everyone but some drivers might welcome it. Suits them better. Across all the drivers in DB I'm sure you could find enough volunteers to run it. No need to push unwilling drivers onto a night schedule if you can find volunteers instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I would assume that they would be waiting until the Go-ahead stuff is over and done with before they think of introducing any 24hr routes in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Exactly. The NTA are waiting until the route transfers are complete and bedded in for Go Ahead before the introduction of 24-hour services in Dublin city.

Unions in Dublin Bus have already agreed to it. It will just be a matter for Dublin Bus to propose and implement the relevant operational procedures.

• Advertisement

I don't see what Go-Ahead really has to do with 24h services. I could only see such services being introduced on main corridors none of which Go-Ahead operate on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

I don't see what Go-Ahead really has to do with 24h services. I could only see such services being introduced on main corridors none of which Go-Ahead operate on.

I think what streetlight is saying is that the NTA have the 24 hour services plans on the backburner until the go-ahead services have been fully implemented.

The NTA have to give the go-ahead (pardon the pun) and I'd say they're prioritising the go-ahead services and additional Dublin bus capacity over anything else at the moment.

thomasj wrote: »
    I think what streetlight is saying is that the NTA have the 24 hour services plans on the backburner until the go-ahead services have been fully implemented.

The NTA have to give the go-ahead (pardon the pun) and I'd say they're prioritising the go-ahead services and additional Dublin bus capacity over anything else at the moment.

I get what you mean now but I think they missed an oppurtunity not running 24h or at least late night services on regular routes over the Christmas/New Year period alongside Nitelinks, late night Darts and Luas. I could see the new route 155 potentially being the first ever 24h route due to it's cross city nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

GM228 wrote: »
    The difference is probably the driving force, if I'm not mistaken I read a while back a Parliamentary Question where it was mentioned that it was BE who approached the NTA about running 24 hours, whereas in Dublin it is the NTA who are pushing DB for the 24 hour service.

Desperate measures to hold onto regional contracts, what other incentive could they have? Don't get me wrong its great though surprising a CIE company is thinking about the customers needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,711 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Desperate measures to hold onto regional contracts, what other incentive could they have? Don't get me wrong its great though surprising a CIE company is thinking about the customers needs.

Is this the route that is part funded by Apple?

Could it be that BE have simply been kicked into action by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just to let you know,

BÉ have agreed to this a while ago for an implementation date of early December with no union objections

It was the NTA that decided it should be pulled back and delayed until January.

Now cork has a hape of spare drivers sitting around scratching

Is this the route that is part funded by Apple?

Could it be that BE have simply been kicked into action by them?

No, the 202 is the Apple route.

Just to let you know,

BÉ have agreed to this a while ago for an implementation date of early December with no union objections

It was the NTA that decided it should be pulled back and delayed until January.

Now cork has a hape of spare drivers sitting around scratching

Did the NTA provide a reason for that?

They really do have many questions to answer, including why Cork's Metropolitan Transport Strategy has been delayed multiple times. Its beyond a joke at this stage, all these delays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

They really do have many questions to answer, including why Cork's Metropolitan Transport Strategy has been delayed multiple times. Its beyond a joke at this stage, all these delays.

The NTA said a few months ago that projects being delayed was unavoidable because of the fact that the Department for Transport, Tourism and Sport has not given them permission to hire enough staff to work on all of the projects that are open and ongoing at the moment.

devnull wrote: »
    The NTA said a few months ago that projects being delayed was unavoidable because of the fact that the Department for Transport, Tourism and Sport has not given them permission to hire enough staff to work on all of the projects that are open and ongoing at the moment.

But it's been delayed 3+ times now over the past year.

If that's the case regarding funding and hiring, then the Dept for TTS and Shane Ross should be held responsible and should be making statements regarding these delays.

Anyone else sick of the way these people, who are supposed to be helping our public transport system improve, are currently running things? It just sickens me how we're always pushed to the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On the contrary, Dublin Bus have applied for 24/7 routes in the past only for the powers that be to refuse permission.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On the contrary, Dublin Bus have applied for 24/7 routes in the past only for the powers that be to refuse permission.

If we're talking about the 746 over a decade ago that was under a completely different and poorly run regulatory regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Buses are barely running during the daytime let alone the middle of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Buses are barely running during the daytime let alone the middle of the night.

In fairness it's going to be much easier to run services at night as there will be no traffic . During the day the likely reason the bus is not running is because it's stuck in traffic which won't happen at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness it's going to be much easier to run services at night as there will be no traffic . During the day the likely reason the bus is not running is because it's stuck in traffic which won't happen at night.

Complete and utter rubbish, have a look at this thread.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057939743/5/#post108992808

One problem I see with this is that Cork buses still carry cash. Would there not be a potential for hold ups on buses late at night. Also why do Cork buses and all BE city services carry cash why don't they adopt the same exact fare policy as DB. Do Cork buses not get robbed and drivers attacked like what used to happen before they introduced auto fare in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One problem I see with this is that Cork buses still carry cash. Would there not be a potential for hold ups on buses late at night. Also why do Cork buses and all BE city services carry cash why don't they adopt the same exact fare policy as DB. Do Cork buses not get robbed and drivers attacked like what used to happen before they introduced auto fare in Dublin.

Imagine the 64-year old lady getting on an intercity BÉ service in Ballygobackwards being asked for a printed ticket / smartphone ticket or exact change of €10 plus.

Now imagine she complains and you have the entire village on the March.

No one in the NTA wants to deal with that ****, no matter how sensible it might be.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Imagine the 64-year old lady getting on an intercity BÉ service in Ballygobackwards being asked for a printed ticket / smartphone ticket or exact change of €10 plus.

No one in the NTA wants to deal with that ****, no matter how sensible it might be.

I was talking about BE city services in Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Galway etc. which operate in a similar manner to DB with similar fare structures but give change. There's difference between them and BE intercity services.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

But it's been delayed 3+ times now over the past year.

If that's the case regarding funding and hiring, then the Dept for TTS and Shane Ross should be held responsible and should be making statements regarding these delays.

Anyone else sick of the way these people, who are supposed to be helping our public transport system improve, are currently running things? It just sickens me how we're always pushed to the side.

You won't find anyone disagreeing with that here. Shane Ross simply doesn't care. There is universal delays to transport projects, policies and everything else due to lack of interest and political incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭snotboogie

sdanseo wrote: »

Jaysus have you ever been outside of Dublin? Entire village on the march ffs

Advertisement