Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant Defy Internal Cables Query

Options
  • 25-11-2018 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi, I have a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 and I am planning to change the internal brake and gear cables myself for the first time. Would any of ye have done this on a similar Giant Defy or TCR?
    Just wondering if there is an internal sleeve the cable goes through? I can see 2 black plastic sleeves where the gear cables pass under the BB. Do they run all the way up the downtube?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

rayman1 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 1 and I am planning to change the internal brake and gear cables myself for the first time. Would any of ye have done this on a similar Giant Defy or TCR?
    Just wondering if there is an internal sleeve the cable goes through? I can see 2 black plastic sleeves where the gear cables pass under the BB. Do they run all the way up the downtube?
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

I havent recabled one of those bikes specifically but most internally routed cables are the same in that they have channels in the frame to help them run down to those sleeves in the BB, but it can get a bit fiddly after that, but once you take your time it’s quite a therapeutic job!

GCN has a really good video on this that I watched before changing my own cables, shows you how to make cable guides too, which is well worth doing (I did mine without making them and it took much longer)

I also found buying a good quality cable cutter helped too :D

https://youtu.be/8zLXiNwVwDI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Where do you get that thin plastic pipe/guide?
    Have a TCX internally routed, have changed cable before but it's a royal PITA
    That guide looks like a good idea

boomdocker wrote: »
    Where do you get that thin plastic pipe/guide?
    Have a TCX internally routed, have changed cable before but it's a royal PITA
    That guide looks like a good idea

Would probably just try some heat shrink tubing, should have a small enough OD to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

For internal cables I always assumed that the outer sheath went all the way through the frame from the shifter to the RD !. But that youtube video shows otherwise. What is to stop the cable wearing the inside of the frame?

youtheman wrote: »
    For internal cables I always assumed that the outer sheath went all the way through the frame from the shifter to the RD !. But that youtube video shows otherwise. What is to stop the cable wearing the inside of the frame?

I’m open for correction but since the cable needs to be taut for it to shift correctly, that the cable wouldn’t move all that much in the frame and the parts that would, like at the BB/RD have either plastic guides or an outer housing to protect them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

The answer to my own question is on the video below @ 2:00
    Also has a nifty trick with some thread and a hoover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dubk6yb1NCQ

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Cable Inner Liner is what you're looking for. I found it very useful reacabling my internally routed road bike a while back.

Here's an example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jagwire-Black-Housing-Liner-Cables/dp/B0029LF1XO#customerReviews

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the lads in duff cycles in santry gave me about 2m of inner liner for free a few months ago. if you've a good relationship with your LBS, can't hurt to ask if they've any.

Advertisement