Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buggies and Prams on LUAS - Rush Hour

Options
  • 27-09-2018 2:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭

Given that this is one of the most stupid things EVER - seeing someone try to jam a buggy or pushchair on to an already chocker LUAS at 8am; does anyone know the actual legality of it ?

I've seen people tell other passengers to get off; I've seen kids nearly squashed against the tram hull (is that the right term ??) just so the parent can get on and just today an elderly lady at Dawson nearly knocked over by someone dragging their buggy off the tram.

And don't get me started on the ones with no kid in them!!!!

It makes no sense whatsoever to me! Anyone know the score ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I presume it's parents taking their child to playschool, on the school run, creche etc.

Maybe the issue is public transport isn't adequate at peak times hence the space issue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Legally they have every right to be there. Though not to ask others to get off, well they can ask, but others have every right to be there too.

However I do think socially some people take the piss. They have massive prams, that are just silly on public transport.

Personally I take my little one on public transport all the time, but I try my best to do so in a mindful manner. Try and avoid peak times where possible and when not possible, the buggy we have is specifically designed for such use, small, light, quick and easy fold. Easy to take the child out and fold it. When I was in Milan a few weeks ago, I saw the same buggy everywhere. Some Irish people are still a little ignorant of how to use and share public transport and space.

I agree though that more investment in public transport would help. The Luas really is operating at the limits of it's capabilities and it will need to be upgraded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I don't really have a problem with people bringing a pram on but it should folded up it if your bringing it on at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Given that this is one of the most stupid things EVER - seeing someone try to jam a buggy or pushchair on to an already chocker LUAS at 8am; does anyone know the actual legality of it ?

I've seen people tell other passengers to get off; I've seen kids nearly squashed against the tram hull (is that the right term ??) just so the parent can get on and just today an elderly lady at Dawson nearly knocked over by someone dragging their buggy off the tram.

You are going to be in BIG trouble...I'm straight tellin on you :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

As much right as you or anyone else.

It not easy having to drag a pram around everywhere. Im sure they would rather be somewhere else other than a packed tram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

My issue is not them using it but wheelchairs and buggy's not using the correct area of the tram to board i.e the center double doors where the sign is) and not the double doors towards either cab end.

eviltwin wrote: »
    I presume it's parents taking their child to playschool, on the school run, creche etc.

Maybe the issue is public transport isn't adequate at peak times hence the space issue

or returning from Pennys after welfare day ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Asking people to get off to accommodate them requires some brass neck. Though that comes with the self importance that parenthood instantly brings.

Unfortunately there's nothing stopping them getting on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's public transport, people take their children to creches or to morning medical appointments. What do you expect?
    Some can carry children if small enough and some do, but if you have more items to carry, have a bad back, CC complications etc you won't be able to carry at all. Or if the child is not well.

What this points to is simply that the provision of public transport is inadequate. The Luas is bursting at the seams.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Asking people to get off to accommodate them requires some brass neck. Though that comes with the self importance that parenthood instantly brings.

Unfortunately there's nothing stopping them getting on though.

That is an interesting point,and possibly deserving of a stand alone thread in itself ?

Definitely tin-hat territory though.....:eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I'd suggest there are more deserving targets for your ire. Can I interest you in a rant about backpacks on the Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    My issue is not them using it but wheelchairs and buggy's not using the correct area of the tram to board i.e the center double doors where the sign is) and not the double doors towards either cab end.

What's the point when the priority area for buggys and wheelchairs are full of people sitting on the fold down chairs and blocking up the area? They might as well get on anywhere.

If the Luas operator wanted to ensure that most do enter what you term the correct doors 'centre', then they should make it clear on the platform.

What's the point when the priority area for buggys and wheelchairs are full of people sitting on the fold down chairs and blocking up the area? They might as well get on anywhere.

If the Luas operator wanted to ensure that most do enter what you term the correct doors 'centre', then they should make it clear on the platform.

The correct area has no fold down chairs and more space to accommodate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The correct area has no fold down chairs and more space to accommodate them.

It's not very obvious from outside the tram where the correct area is. Same goes for the pregnant women and elderly seats. Different trams have them in different locations. The signage is extremely poor. Then why bother attempting to get a pram/wheelchair in the correct area when they are full of people that should recognise the priority but choose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I had a look today and I still have no idea where this area is and how I identify it. There are stickers on the window above all the fold down seats indicating that these are priority areas for wheelcharis/buggies. The only think I noticed this morning is that these stickers are also above some areas with "bum rests" but no fold down seats. Inevitably all priority areas are usually occupied by people with no consideration or awareness of others. (Same situation on buses in my experience)

As stated before, I don't think small children/infants/babies are the most deserving of this ire, there are plenty worse examples of "poor etiquette" by Luas users. Bear in mind that many/most parents determine to drive everywhere once they have children, which is in my opinion a much worse outcome. This follows right through the young lives of those children until they finish secondary education.

I had a look today and I still have no idea where this area is and how I identify it. There are stickers on the window above all the fold down seats indicating that these are priority areas for wheelcharis/buggies. The only think I noticed this morning is that these stickers are also above some areas with "bum rests" but no fold down seats. Inevitably all priority areas are usually occupied by people with no consideration or awareness of others. (Same situation on buses in my experience)

As stated before, I don't think small children/infants/babies are the most deserving of this ire, there are plenty worse examples of "poor etiquette" by Luas users. Bear in mind that many/most parents determine to drive everywhere once they have children, which is in my opinion a much worse outcome. This follows right through the young lives of those children until they finish secondary education.

I take my comment back its was a mistake on my part. Luas should not allow more than one per tram just like the bus.

Flip Down seats are the work of the Great Beast,on ALL Public Transport.

Transport for London saw the light,and now has a policy of not specifying them on new vehicles as well as removing them on refurbishment of older ones.....now where did I leave that angle-grinder ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

I take my comment back its was a mistake on my part. Luas should not allow more than one per tram just like the bus.

Why? Luas trams are four to five times longer than DB vehicles and with more usable space.

Advertisement