Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mallorca 312....

Options
  • 18-03-2018 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing it this year?
    I'd booked it, also booked a rental bike and hotel (both of which I can cancel with no charge) but with the weather we've had and the fact I've not done anything longer than 65km this year so far, I'm gonna give it a miss this time.
    I only wanted to have a go at the full 312km distance, so anything else doesnt interest me.
    This poxy long winter is really starting to annoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

I wouldn’t rule it out even if you haven’t many miles in your legs, you’ve all day to do it.

Why not just do the 167 it’s a great route as is the 225 if you’re feeling good on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭cats pyjamas

20 something from our club going over. Haven't done as much as I'd hoped over the winter due to weather and life in general but I'll still go over and enjoy it.

I'm aiming for the 225 but if I end up doing the 167 then its not the end of the world either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I wouldn’t rule it out even if you haven’t many miles in your legs, you’ve all day to do it.

Why not just do the 167 it’s a great route as is the 225 if you’re feeling good on the day.

Only booked it for the challenge of the 312k to be honest mate, just for something to really test myself beyond what I've done in the past. Other distances wouldn't give me that, and also I'd want to have a right good go at it rather than flogging my way round with no training.
    It would have been a logistical pain regardless as I've a wedding to go to two days before, so gonna give it a miss. All the best to you if you're heading over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I think you have 14hrs to do it; if you only stop in total for an hour you'd need a moving speed of 24km/h to complete in time.

With 5000m elevation, a lot of riders might struggle to complete in time, especially as benefit of group riding won't be useful as it was on old route; which had some flat/rolling sections.

Even the fastest guys will take 11hrs.

It is a brilliant route though

I did the Maratona last year, its 4300 metres over less than half the distance, and managed just a tad over 20kmph, I reckon 5000m over that distance I could do 24kmph especially if I got some group benefit. But only with serious traning behind me. It was always gonna be a struggling given the time of year it occurs at, but the weather this year has totally blown it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

There is a good sized group from The Reservoir Cogs CC doing it this year. Ten lads I think? I was booked to do it but a health issue put paid to my plans this year. I already had booked the event, hotel and flights so I'm still heading over with the group for some warm weather spins and to give the lads a cheer and a bit of support along the way. Or maybe I'll stay at the bar and pool ;-) . I completed the Mallorca 312 in 2016 (new route with clubmates) and 2014 (old route unaccompanied ) and had an almost identical finishing and moving time with an average speed of 27.2kmh. I took generous stops too. One of best Sportives ever. Definitely one to aim for. But being so early in the year it is hard to get the winter training done. And as for the crap weather here this Winter and 'Spring' I don't envy anyone trying to get the miles in the legs. Hope you get to do it another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

Hi Corker 1 - you don't happen to have a spare entry, if you are not competing. I have an entry, but now have a friend travelling with me and if i could get one it would be great. i know you need the ID at sign on etc- so if you were in town and had a spare entry - would be great thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Had originally booked the 312 but will do the 225 instead I think. Not enough kms in the legs this winter and I can use that plus some spins during the week leading up to it to prepare for some summer events.

I’m doing the 225. Absolutely 100% underprepared thanks to this bizarre winter that just wont end, but feck it, as long as I don’t die I will be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

barryf42 wrote: »
    Hi Corker 1 - you don't happen to have a spare entry, if you are not competing. I have an entry, but now have a friend travelling with me and if i could get one it would be great. i know you need the ID at sign on etc- so if you were in town and had a spare entry - would be great thanks

Hey Barryf42. I still have the entry so if you PM me I'm sure we can sort something for your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

terrydel wrote: »
    Only booked it for the challenge of the 312k to be honest mate, just for something to really test myself beyond what I've done in the past. Other distances wouldn't give me that, and also I'd want to have a right good go at it rather than flogging my way round with no training.
    It would have been a logistical pain regardless as I've a wedding to go to two days before, so gonna give it a miss. All the best to you if you're heading over.

I'm looking for an entry for this. Would you sell yours if you are not going to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭WMP

I am going and am doing the 312 but haven't enough training done. I'm hoping to get another 500km+ in the coming 3 weeks so hopefully that will be enough to get me through it. Longest to date is LBL (279km) but I had more training done that year.

Second half looks 'easy' enough with no big climbs so it should be ok in a group. Hope to see some of you out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Getting close now. Resting up for tomorrow. Beautiful weather. Great buzz around registration area.
    Doing the 167 but criminally under-prepared.

I was planning on doing the 225, but received an email yesterday saying that riders who haven’t made the 167/225 break point by 11:30 have to do the 167 route.

I heard that last year some people took nearly 30 minutes to cross the start line, so four hours to do 93k seems a little tight, considering what those 93k involve.

Still, if I have to do the 167, it won’t be the end of the world. Really looking forward to it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

What time does it start tomorrow? Not doing it but planning to hit the lighthouse again tomorrow so don't want to get in the way of this cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

jamesd wrote: »
    What time does it start tomorrow? Not doing it but planning to hit the lighthouse again tomorrow so don't want to get in the way of this cycle.

Kicking off at 7am tomorrow morning.
    167 for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 irlgw

Yeah I'm doing the 312 but majorly disappointed in the hire bike from BMC store rad-salon. Being German owned I would have thought the service would be excellent. Booked a BMC Gran Fondo 2 with disc brakes and got a repainted frame with rim brakes and two odd wheels! Spent most of yesterday getting it rideable for the distance but its taken the shine off things a bit. Anyway if anyone is going again would recommend the hassle of bringing your own wheels. Got a late entry only from sportive breaks in the UK and their service was excellent..must remember to load up on paracetamol for breakfast

irlgw wrote: »
    Yeah I'm doing the 312 but majorly disappointed in the hire bike from BMC store rad-salon. Being German owned I would have thought the service would be excellent. Booked a BMC Gran Fondo 2 with disc brakes and got a repainted frame with rim brakes and two odd wheels! Spent most of yesterday getting it rideable for the distance but its taken the shine off things a bit. Anyway if anyone is going again would recommend the hassle of bringing your own wheels. Got a late entry only from sportive breaks in the UK and their service was excellent..must remember to load up on paracetamol for breakfast

I’ll be on this stead I hired from Liberty sport. Never heard of Denti, but I’ve done over 100k trouble free so far

Bad luck with the BMC store bike irlgw. I'm really surprised at that and might have refused to take it.

I can definitely recommend Max Huerzeler bikes. His shops are everywhere and you must have seen them I guess. Top quality bikes and good prices. I got an ALU Centurion, it wasn't the lightest but was in top condition.

Managed to do the 312. Tough day! Was struggling mid way through but lots of coke and ham sandwiches got me back on track again. Great day out all considered.

WMP wrote: »
    Bad luck with the BMC store bike irlgw. I'm really surprised at that and might have refused to take it.

I can definitely recommend Max Huerzeler bikes. His shops are everywhere and you must have seen them I guess. Top quality bikes and good prices. I got an ALU Centurion, it wasn't the lightest but was in top condition.

Managed to do the 312. Tough day! Was struggling mid way through but lots of coke and ham sandwiches got me back on track again. Great day out all considered.

Coke?! Thats an awful brave admission you cheating fecker!!

On a serious note, well done. I had entered but decided a while back I wouldnt bother, given the cost of flights, the fact I'd sod all training done etc.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Coke?! Thats an awful brave admission you cheating fecker!!

On a serious note, well done. I had entered but decided a while back I wouldnt bother, given the cost of flights, the fact I'd sod all training done etc.

For long days in the saddle like that, you take what you can get! : )

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Well just about recovered now from last Saturday.
    I entered this with the vague idea that it would be good to do more than the shortest 167 distance, but a very curtailed winters training (about 700 km total since last October) had me heading off on the club trip to Majorca just praying for survival on said 167 route.
    The day arrived, great atmosphere, and I set out at a very conservative pace on the early hills, hoping to make the distance. Sustainability was my key word and thought. Somewhere before the routes split at 93 km, I got the notion that I was going ok and could cycle like this for a long time. I made a belated burst to reach the junction before the cutoff point of 11.30 ( or was it 11.40?). I failed in that attempt, but after stopping at the splitting point for a few minutes, I said what the hell and turned right for the longer route. I knew there were five climbs left on the 225, whereas the remainder of the 167 had no long climb I think, but I didn't mind the climbing at my own pace.
    I ended up getting lost once or twice due to poor signage on the convoluted last section, and any stewards had left the junctions before I got there.
    Nonetheless I felt good at this stage and passed a good share of fellow stragglers to finish about 11.30 rolling (12.30 total), average 20kph. Well outside the 10 hour cutoff for the distance. My longest cycle by about 40 km, and way more climbing than any other long spin I did.
    Really enjoyed the day ( all the days cycling in Majorca - my first time). Great buzz, perfect weather, lovely climbs - very little above 9%, none of the killer ramps you can get in Ireland.
    Negatives were food stops ( but hard to cater for such numbers) and convoluted back road section late on, but I guess if you want to close the roads some compromises have to happen.
    Chuffed to get the 225 done - one of my most memorable cycles ever, for all the right reasons.

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Negatives were food stops ( but hard to cater for such numbers) and convoluted back road section late on, but I guess if you want to close the roads some compromises have to happen.
    Chuffed to get the 225 done - one of my most memorable cycles ever, for all the right reasons.

The food stop you would have missed, the Esporles one, was little more than a rugby scrum. The one at Inca was very very well organised though.

In Esporles some plank thought they would forego propping their bike up somewhere and decided to bring it with them to the feeding frenzy. He had several comments in different languages, but my favourite was a distinctly Irish voice enquiring as to whether he wanted to "Feed his feckin bike too"?

it did get a chuckle from the English speakers, but may have been lost on the rider himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

Aegir wrote: »
    The food stop you would have missed, the Esporles one, was little more than a rugby scrum. The one at Inca was very very well organised though.

In Esporles some plank thought they would forego propping their bike up somewhere and decided to bring it with them to the feeding frenzy. He had several comments in different languages, but my favourite was a distinctly Irish voice enquiring as to whether he wanted to "Feed his feckin bike too"?

it did get a chuckle from the English speakers, but may have been lost on the rider himself :D

hahaha :-D. that was chaos that place. they ran out of water too but had loads of some crap that you really dont want on a got day called aquarade..or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

saw this a little earlier from an ultra endurance rider thanking unknown Irish guys ............perhaps some guys on here will recognise themselves?
    https://twitter.com/Laura_Scott/status/990309382201192454

Just registered for 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

As have I - did it this year for the first time and really enjoyed it. I'm not the fastest of climbers (but I'm certainly not the slowest either). The main points I took away from this years event was to get closer to the front of the start line (even if that means rocking up a bit earlier and standing about in the cool morning air for a bit longer) because it took us 15-20 minutes to get through the start line this year (we were probably about half-way back in the queue) and we were taking it relatively easy in the early stages before the climb, having a chat with others etc - but it came as a bit of a shock to hear the broom wagon siren just before the 167 cut-off - thankfully I was able to continue on the 225 route. I wouldn't waste time at the first water stop either (unless you really need it). Hoping that the weather over winter isn't going to be as dreadful as it was last time around - makes it hard to get the training miles in. I thought this year's jersey was really nice and next year's looks great too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Signed up last night going to aim for the 225(haven’t a hope of the 312)

Have 6 months to lose about 10kg+ :)

Was planning to go to Majorca at Easter for the long weekend but when saw this was the week after I made the full week work.

Now to tell the wife...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mallorca is being absolutely hammered by rain at the moment - 5 dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭AxleAddict

mallorca is being absolutely hammered by rain at the moment - 5 dead.
    Yeah - heard this on the news this morning - not good - in addition to the confirmed dead there are some more missing or unnaccounted for as well :(

Advertisement