Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Long trailing low being drawn up over the country. Don't have accurate readings here near Tralee atm but around 20mm

DQEDHvb.png?1

Let's play .... Spot the peninsula's

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Timistry

The rain today in Kerry has been biblical.

Flooding on local roads and in Kenmare

• Registered Users Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Torrential in Cork City and very strong winds. If it keeps up the place will be flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Torrential in Cork City and very strong winds. If it keeps up the place will be flooded.

Spot on there. Cork Airport reporting gusts of 42 Knots in moderate rain. horrible night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely lashing rain here in North Cork all evening long - just back in from driving and there is significant lodging of water and flooding around Mallow already - the N72 is carrying surface water at this stage.

Just seen on Twitter that the flood prevention gates have been ordered up in Mallow town tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Just checked out my window again after an hour and a half of netflix binging, and its still raining here, heavily too. Definitely flooding in places. Been non stop since about 12PM at this point

EDIT: Good page here to look for flooding and other damage in Cork etc https://www.facebook.com/corksafetyalerts/?hc_ref=ARRsFtS_1_o7hw91bVbDUjfCGJrP3564a7jRrL3-Mt0lBqne9EwKZqL-ShbrWOAbjZI&fref=nf

Just read that Bandon has released a flooding warning. Lots of other flood reports too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Still bone dry in my area of meath, rainfall radar suggested it was raining here most of the evening but not a drop has fallen, fairly breezy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Non stop bucketing down in Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I went to my local for a few pints at ten pm and I just walked the ten minutes home. I'd have been dryer if I stood in a carwash for that ten minutes. It is horrible in Cork City with driving rain. I opened the back door to let the dog out and even he looked at me as if to say "how stupid do you think i am ? "

If there isn't flooding in Cork I'll be shocked. As has been said it started about midday and hasn't stopped in over twelve hours.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I went to my local for a few pints at ten pm and I just walked the ten minutes home. I'd have been dryer if I stood in a carwash for that ten minutes. It is horrible in Cork City with driving rain. I opened the back door to let the dog out and even he looked at me as if to say "how stupid do you think i am ? "

If there isn't flooding in Cork I'll be shocked. As has been said it started about midday and hasn't stopped in over twelve hours.

I dont think I have seen this level of heavy rain for this long of a period in years really.

• Advertisement

I dont think I have seen this level of heavy rain for this long of a period in years really.

I've never seen the intensity of rain in Cork. I mean normally it lets up at some point but it hasn't. It's as bad now as it was at 6pm if not worse.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've never seen the intensity of rain in Cork. I mean normally it lets up at some point but it hasn't. It's as bad now as it was at 6pm if not worse.

I wonder what the chances of the Lee overflowing are, I doubt it as CCC haven't released any reports that it may happen, Clonakilty, Bandon, Skibbeereen have a high chance of flooding though I am guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

North cork too and absolutely lashing all day since at least lunchtime. To make it worse I've now got a leak in my ceiling from obviously a blocked gutter outside but no way to get at it till tomorrow. It's getting worse by the hour and so signs of the rain letting up. Am fit to be tied here :-(

North cork too and absolutely lashing all day since at least lunchtime. To make it worse I've now got a leak in my ceiling from obviously a blocked gutter outside but no way to get at it till tomorrow. It's getting worse by the hour and so signs of the rain letting up. Am fit to be tied here :-(

Yeah I've never seen rain like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cork airport reported 13mm up to 18.00 and a further 16mm up to 0.00
    Valentia 28mm at 18.00 and a further 11mm at 0.00
    Sherkin 28mm in the same period.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I wonder what the chances of the Lee overflowing are, I doubt it as CCC haven't released any reports that it may happen, Clonakilty, Bandon, Skibbeereen have a high chance of flooding though I am guessing.

Not sure, is that more a tidal event? The river looked low when I passed it earlier on tonight, but with all the rainfall upland maybe next high tide might pose a threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

irishfeen wrote: »
    Absolutely lashing rain here in North Cork all evening long - just back in from driving and there is significant lodging of water and flooding around Mallow already - the N72 is carrying surface water at this stage.

Just seen on Twitter that the flood prevention gates have been ordered up in Mallow town tonight.

The river was already very high thursday morning on my way to work.. I take the back road by the old beet factory and workers were monitoring it thursday morning. They also did some kind of clearance work at the bridge on that road too. It's going to be a monster of a flood I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Bandon River at 1.53 m and rising.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not sure, is that more a tidal event? The river looked low when I passed it earlier on tonight, but with all the rainfall upland maybe next high tide might pose a threat?

thats what I thought, the Lee is controlled by the ESB with inniscarra if I remember (and that event where they let out too much water and flooded the city :pac::pac: ) so depending on the amount of water building up behind that dam, and the time of high tide.. who knows. However the other towns in west cork would be more based on rain from the fields etc such as the Bandon River and Clonakilty

Bandon River at 1.53 m and rising.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/

its been upped to an orange flood warning! Not good for them! Disgraceful that the flood relief scheme is taking so long for there. drive past there every week or so and its just the same for the last few weeks, building site.

• Advertisement

thats what I thought, the Lee is controlled by the ESB with inniscarra if I remember (and that event where they let out too much water and flooded the city :pac::pac: ) so depending on the amount of water building up behind that dam, and the time of high tide.. who knows. However the other towns in west cork would be more based on rain from the fields etc such as the Bandon River and Clonakilty

yeah the quay wall by the Mercy hospital didn't enjoy that day. I remember walking home from work on the north side of the city and I used to walk through Fitzgerald's park to get home not realising the flood waters. I walked across the shaky bridge and fitzgerald's park was like a lake. I've never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

8.6mm here in West Clare, I note Shannon got even less tallying in at just over 5mm.
    Surprising considering the yellow warning.

The last yellow I got just over 14mm here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Quite a downpour here now outside Arklow from the dregs of this system
    I thought it was hail but it’s actually big drops of heavy rain hitting the window

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

its been upped to an orange flood warning! Not good for them! Disgraceful that the flood relief scheme is taking so long for there. drive past there every week or so and its just the same for the last few weeks, building site.

Passed through Bandon around 2.30 today and Gardai diverting traffic. Fire brigade at the bridge and an engine driven pump as well. Water level rose to just short of red alert status. The town centre wasn't flooded but I'd say it wasn't far away.
    All the digging in the river in the last 2 yrs doesn't seem to be very successful. The flood plain west at Baxters Bridge/the black sticks was under several feet of water.

Passed through Bandon around 2.30 today and Gardai diverting traffic. Fire brigade at the bridge and an engine driven pump as well. Water level rose to just short of red alert status. The town centre wasn't flooded but I'd say it wasn't far away.
    All the digging in the river in the last 2 yrs doesn't seem to be very successful. The flood plain west at Baxters Bridge/the black sticks was under several feet of water.

And there was a lot of digging there, the amount of soil and rock they took out and moved across to the fields across the road, even totally diverting the river to do it is crazy. The fact guards had to divert and extra pumps put in just shows the plan has failed and rather then continuing to let it fail they need to re plan and just get it done once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There seems to be some glitches in the online reporting of these warnings. No warnings were showing on ME's website from 9am this morning, yet they had issued them for up to 6pm today for some areas. And yet the eu meteoalarm map on the site is still showing Ireland in yellow even now, though when you click through the end time given is 3pm/6pm.

Did they cancel these warnings early or something given they dropped them from their own site?

• Advertisement
Advertisement