Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student Leap Card & 30 Day Rambler

• 05-09-2017 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I have just got a student leap card today and registered it online.

I will need to make on average 2 bus trips per day probably five days per week.

I have been reading online and I think that I might get the most value from using it if I load it with a 30 day student rambler card.

I assumed that this could be something that I could do online once I registered the card but I can not see any option or information on how exactly to do this.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You have to physically load the card onto the ticket - in other words you need to touch a "live" terminal.

The easiest way of doing this is just going into any payzone agent with your LEAP card and buying the ticket there. It will then be on your card immediately.

Buying online does not put the ticket onto the card - you'd still need to go to a payzone agent to load it onto the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Lazy Bhoy wrote: »
    I have just got a student leap card today and registered it online.

I will need to make on average 2 bus trips per day probably five days per week.

I have been reading online and I think that I might get the most value from using it if I load it with a 30 day student rambler card.

A 30 day student rambler is €114.50 and you get 30days.

If you load the card with cash the most you can spend is €5 per day and €20 per week.

With the cash on the card and capping, you will be able to use it 7days a week which is greater value than the 30 day rambler.

An extra 5.50 over the 6 week period of the 30 rambler gives you unlimited travel without worrying about wasting a days travel on one trip if you need to go somewhere unexpectedly.

Also if you have an android phone the leap app is the easiest way for you to top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Lazy Bhoy

liger wrote: »
    A 30 day student rambler is €114.50 and you get 30days.

If you load the card with cash the most you can spend is €5 per day and €20 per week.

With the cash on the card and capping, you will be able to use it 7days a week which is greater value than the 30 day rambler.

An extra 5.50 over the 6 week period of the 30 rambler gives you unlimited travel without worrying about wasting a days travel on one trip if you need to go somewhere unexpectedly.

Also if you have an android phone the leap app is the easiest way for you to top up.

Does it not make more sense to buy the 30 day Rambler at €114.50 and having 30 days which do not have to be consecutive?

That would work out at €3.82 per day for unlimited bus travel as opposed to €5.00. Or have I got something wrong.

I am not really used to these Leap cards as I have just started using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭adam240610

Does it not make more sense to buy the 30 day Rambler at €114.50 and having 30 days which do not have to be consecutive?

That would work out at €3.82 per day for unlimited bus travel as opposed to €5.00. Or have I got something wrong.

I am not really used to these Leap cards as I have just started using them.

Weekly cap is 20 euro though. What if you want a bus at the weekend? If you only get one in a day? Then it's cheaper to just top up.

adam240610 wrote: »
    Weekly cap is 20 euro though. What if you want a bus at the weekend? If you only get one in a day? Then it's cheaper to just top up.

OK, I think I see what you mean.

So the student leap cards are not valid on weekends? Only Monday to Friday?

If that is the case then I suppose that I will just top it up.

• Advertisement

OK, I think I see what you mean.

So the student leap cards are not valid on weekends? Only Monday to Friday?

If that is the case then I suppose that I will just top it up.

The weekly cap on the epurse runs from Monday to Sunday. Therefore the more you use the bus during the week the more likely your weekend travel will be free as you'll have reached the cap.

Rambler tickets really are for people who make more occasional use of the bus but who would make several trips on the days when they use it. That's when it's more value than the capping.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    The weekly cap on the epurse runs from Monday to Sunday. Therefore the more you use the bus during the week the more likely your weekend travel will be free as you'll have reached the cap.

Rambler tickets really are for people who make more occasional use of the bus but who would make several trips on the days when they use it. That's when it's more value than the capping.

Great, thanks.

I will just top it up by €20 per week so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Speaking as a student who has used leap both with a rambler loaded and with the weekly capping, I can say that the 30 day rambler is a better option if you're mainly using the bus to get to college. My rambler would last up to a month and a half since you might not have lectures every day (most semesters for me have been 4 days per week), or thanks to bank holidays, study weeks and midterms etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Does this capping apply to Bus Eireann Cork services also?

Does this capping apply to Bus Eireann Cork services also?

No - only Dublin Bus, LUAS and Iarnrod Eireann within the Dublin Short Hop Zone.

24 hour and 7 day tickets can be purchased from the driver on Bus EireannCork city and suburban services.

See:
    https://about.leapcard.ie/cork

• Advertisement
Advertisement