Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a tube with reliable valves

Options
  • 06-10-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Have been using the Panaracer tubes for the last while. I think their valves might be dodgy, or less reliable than what I was hoping for.

I commute 60km a day and pump up my tyres every evening. This morning the valve wouldn't close properly and was leaking a full CO2 cartridge within a minute. They have done this a few times recently, but usually I managed to close it after a few minutes.

So, I need a tube with a reliable valve that will withstand being pumped up daily. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Tubes!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have been using the Panaracer tubes for the last while. I think their valves might be dodgy, or less reliable than what I was hoping for.

I commute 60km a day and pump up my tyres every evening. This morning the valve wouldn't close properly and was leaking a full CO2 cartridge within a minute. They have done this a few times recently, but usually I managed to close it after a few minutes.

So, I need a tyre with a reliable valve that will withstand being pumped up daily. Any recommendations?
    I presume you mean a tube with reliable valve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I presume you mean a tube with reliable valve?

Yes. Also if you could recommend me a stronger coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

So, I need a tube with a reliable valve that will withstand being pumped up daily. Any recommendations?

Schwalbe are very good, either the standard tube or the light version.
    Another one recently tried and tested by me is Vittoria Ultralite - failed after 12k km, but only as a result of a puncture, the valves are OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Did you try using an air pump. The CO2 might be icing up the valve, preventing it from sealing properly until it defrosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I don't think you need to pump every day. I commute 40km a day and pump once a week. I find I only lose about 5psi over a week. (Schwalbe tubes) The more you pump the more likely you are to damage the valve. Are you saying you use a CO2 cartridge to pump every day:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I don't think you need to pump every day. I commute 40km a day and pump once a week. I find I only lose about 5psi over a week. (Schwalbe tubes) The more you pump the more likely you are to damage the valve. Are you saying you use a CO2 cartridge to pump every day:eek:

Haha, that would be pretty expensive! I use a track pump - I only used the CO2 cartridges this morning because I got a lift halfway and only saw the flat then.

I like to have the pressure at max to avoid punctures and for less rolling resistance, so that's why I was pumping every day.

Another issue I had was that I couldn't just "top up" the air every evening. I had to let nearly all the air out before the track pump would pump air in. Maybe this is the same issue?

Looks like Schwalbe are the biz. Hopefully as good a quality as their tyres!

Advertisement