Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any trackies with 1km tt experience?

Options
  • 24-08-2012 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I'd like to enter for the nationals, only problem is I havent sorted out aero bars yet and have no proper race wheels either, 32h f&r with cxp33 rims so not very aero! Im in the middle of getting some carbon wheels built up but all parts would prob arrive too late,

my question is how much slower would I be with 'traditional' wheels and drop bars? my bars are set very low with a 170mm drop and are 38cm so I can get into a fairly aero position with flat back .

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well it's touch and go as to whether aerobars make much difference over 500m. Hence its probably down to how much difference they make over the final 500m

Using the Bike Calculator, at between 500 and 600w (I would expect you to be at the top end of the range, at 110kg it would make about 2.5s difference

However you would lose a bit of power on the aerobars - maybe 20-30w, which would claw back maybe a quarter to a third of that, meaning you may lose around 1.5s or so over the kilo

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

In terms of the wheels, you're probably talking 1-2kph which would be 1-2s over a kilo, but skinsuit and aerohelmet will probably have more impact than that;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I forgot the helmet, was thinking of Casco warp comp(so I could use it for match and team sprints, Ill slim down for a skinsuit next season! ye I think the helmet makes the biggest difference, besides the legs!

wouldnt mind entering the scratch race instead on the Sunday, just for fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

it's a pity, i might have done well. in that 1km race on wednesday for the start of lap 2 I crossed the line at 52km/h,
    then accelerated to 55km/h into the bend and held that till the last bend when I looked behind one last time and then eased off, had a bit more in the legs too.

it's a pity, i might have done well. in that 1km race on wednesday for the start of lap 2 I crossed the line at 52km/h,
    then accelerated to 55km/h into the bend and held that till the last bend when I looked behind one last time and then eased off, had a bit more in the legs too.
    Yep, I was averaging 54-55kph over that last lap (and equalled the track KOM) and you were out front on your own

Casco helmets are great for the Sprint, but GB had a more elongated helmet for many of the sprint events in the Olympics

A "traditional" aero helmet is almost certainly best for the Kilo, as you don't need to look around (assumimg you're not one of those who continually look down, pushing the tail of the helmet up into the wind)

• Advertisement
Advertisement