Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoes repeatedly squeaking on crankshaft - solution?

• 09-08-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Hey folks. With my keo pedals, my big ol' 13.5-size shoes squeak against the crankshaft, both sides, every rotation. I've moved the cleats on the shoes as close to the inside as I can, so the shoes are as far away from the crank as possible, but the inside of the foot still just touches off the crank arm, enough to make it squeak repeatedly which is really annoying/off-putting/OCD-aggravating/whatever!

If I concentrate and push my feet out while pedalling, my ears can take a break and listen to the blissful sound of rubber rolling on tarmac... but under normal pedalling, the damn squeak returns!

Can anyone tell me how I might fix this? Can I move the pedals out a bit somehow? Are there different types of cleats which will have a wider range of fitting options? (wider holes where you tighten them)?

Gaining just a couple of mm somehow should do it, but how?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Remove the pedals and refit with a washer on the pedal spindle.
    (thats what i'd do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Will give that a go, sounds logical enough :) Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

davenewt wrote: »
    Will give that a go, sounds logical enough :) Thanks!

Don't forget to put some grease on the pedal treads so the pedals don't "weld" to the cranks over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

There are pedal axle spacers out there too,they are like a pedal axle extension, they would give you an extra few mil to work with regarding cleat placement, I cant remember who makes them and I am too lazy to look at this hour but I am sure a search would bring them up! A lot of companies that make chainsets advise against using axle washers so maybe keep that in mind.

Like these? http://www.bikefit.com/p-25-1-pair-20-mm-pedal-spacers.aspx

Can only see 20mm ones though... hmm... I'll ask my friendly neighbourhood bike shop who fitted the pedals (and got me the bike) :)

• Advertisement

I asked Darren in CycleBike about this when I was in last week having a look around, and he suggested I drop in to him with the bike so he could take a look.

He warned me against adding any spacers/washers/extension thingumabobs to move the pedals out because that could result in misalignment of the legs/knees etc. which I hadn't really considered but I'm sure is a good thing to be wary of!

Anyway, I popped down today, and he put me on a turbo and took a look at how I was sitting on the bike and pedaling. He raised the seat about an inch and a half and also adjusted the cleats on the shoes (which I thought I'd already adjusted as much as possible - shows how much I know!)

Result = blissful silence when pedaling :)

On riding home I noticed a small occasional squeak from the right shoe but if I consciously turn my foot a little when pedalling it goes completely, so it might be more my fault now :) The left foot seems fine so it might just take another small adjustment of the right cleat. But either way it's 99.9% better than it was!

Raising the saddle helped because, with it being too low, I was coming down on the pedal with too much pressure and spreading the shoe out more than necessary at the bottom of the rotation, causing it to rub off the crank arm. I'd never have thought about that!

Hope this helps anyone else who might experience similar 'shoes squeaking on the crank arm' issues in future :)

I also hope it's OK to give a +1 for the excellent service received in cyclebike in Dublin. Genuinely nice people :)

Final note - although I'm 6'6" and I knew about having to have the saddle at the right height so my leg was near straight when fully down on the pedal, I hadn't really spent any time adjusting the seat height myself. With Darren's correction today, the seat is now so high I'll probably have to dismount when going into any multi-storey car parks or under any low bridges. Also, if any mobile operators want to rent space on the back of my saddle for a 3G mast, I'm open to offers :D

Advertisement