Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech

Options
  • 25-08-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

If you had to choose one speech (from real life or movie, anytime or anywhere) as the best you've ever heard. Which would you choose?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I'd pay any money to hear Daniel O'Connel speak at any Repeal gathering in 1843.

Other speeches I would have loved to hear in person would be Khruschev denouncing the crimes of Stalinism in the mid 1950s, or Ronald Reagan imploring Gorbachev to 'tear down this wall'...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Fidel Castro. Any speech but particularly his first one when he seized power. I think it was about 14 hours long (I'm open to correction on this).

Imagine any of our politicians today trying to make any kind of off the cuff speech (:rolleyes:) never mind one a few hours long.

I think the art of speaking by public figures is dying today. Everything today is scripted and there are very few people who are capable of standing up and speaking intelligently about any subject. George W.Bush would be a good example of this (i.e. he is a complete idiot who can barely speak coherently)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to History & Heritage - it's more suited to there than Literature (I realise you included movies, which makes it a little more complicated but it's still far more suited there than Literature and I suspect most or all will be historical speeches).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

sceptre wrote: »
    Moving to History & Heritage - it's more suited to there than Literature (I realise you included movies, which makes it a little more complicated but it's still far more suited there than Literature and I suspect most or all will be historical speeches).

Speeches, debates and the like are very definitely literary. Work has even been done comparing speeches to poetry in style and the need to 'find your own voice'. Granted it cannot be separated from history, but no more than it can be separated from politics or drama say. Some of the best speeches may be Shakespeare's; would any of these speeches be pointed up as much away from the literature forum as here? I don't think so, hence my positioning of the thread in the literature forum. Please clarify this decision to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I hate when things are moved from where the OP put them. Obviously your opinion that it should be in the History and Heritage forum cannot be argued with but I still call BS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's off topic, leave it. Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There are loads of historic speeches I would love to have been present for, at the moment top of the list :

Pádraig Pearse's Graveside Panegyric for O'Donovan Rossa
    on 1 August 1915 at Glasnevin Cemetery in Dublin
    It has seemed right, before we turn away from this place in which we have laid the mortal remains of O'Donovan Rossa, that one among us should, in the name of all, speak the praise of that valiant man, and endeavour to formulate the thought and the hope that are in us as we stand around his grave. And if there is anything that makes it fitting that I, rather than some other, rather than one of the grey-haired men who were young with him and shared in his labour and in his suffering, should speak here, it is perhaps that I may be taken as speaking on behalf of a new generation that has been re-baptised in the Fenian faith, and that has accepted the responsibility of carrying out the Fenian programme. I propose to you then that, here by the grave of this unrepentant Fenian, we renew our baptismal vows; that, here by the grave of this unconquered and unconquerable man, we ask of God, each one for himself, such unshakable purpose, such high and gallant courage, such unbreakable strength of soul as belonged to O'Donovan Rossa.

Deliberately here we avow ourselves, as he avowed himself in the dock, Irishmen of one allegiance only. We of the Irish Volunteers, and you others who are associated with us in to-day's task and duty, are bound together and must stand together henceforth in brotherly union for the achievement of the freedom of Ireland. And we know only one definition of freedom: it is Tone's definition, it is Mitchel's definition, it is Rossa's definition. Let no man blaspheme the cause that the dead generations of Ireland served by giving it any other name and definition than their name and their definition.

We stand at Rossa's grave not in sadness but rather in exaltation of spirit that it has been given to us to come thus into so close a communion with that brave and splendid Gael. Splendid and holy causes are served by men who are themselves splendid and holy. O'Donovan Rossa was splendid in the proud manhood of him, splendid in the heroic grace of him, splendid in the Gaelic strength and clarity and truth of him. And all that splendour and pride and strength was compatible with a humility and a simplicity of devotion to Ireland, to all that was olden and beautiful and Gaelic in Ireland, the holiness and simplicity of patriotism of a Michael O'Clery or of an Eoghan O'Growney. The clear true eyes of this man almost alone in his day visioned Ireland as we of to-day would surely have her: not free merely, but Gaelic as well; not Gaelic merely, but free as well.

In a closer spiritual communion with him now than ever before or perhaps ever again, in a spiritual communion with those of his day, living and dead, who suffered with him in English prisons, in communion of spirit too with our own dear comrades who suffer in English prisons to-day, and speaking on their behalf as well as our own, we pledge to Ireland our love, and we pledge to English rule in Ireland our hate. This is a place of peace, sacred to the dead, where men should speak with all charity and with all restraint; but I hold it a Christian thing, as O'Donovan Rossa held it, to hate evil, to hate untruth, to hate oppression, and, hating them, to strive to overthrow them. Our foes are strong and wise and wary; but, strong and wise and wary as they are, they cannot undo the miracles of God who ripens in the hearts of young men the seeds sown by the young men of a former generation. And the seeds sown by the young men of '65 and '67 are coming to their miraculous ripening to-day. Rulers and Defenders of Realms had need to be wary if they would guard against such processes. Life springs from death; and from the graves of patriot men and women spring living nations. The Defenders of this Realm have worked well in secret and in the open. They think that they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think that they have foreseen everything, think that they have provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! — they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace

Also 'The Rebel' by Pádraig Pearse which is a poem but I would have loved to have heard it read at that time (there is a Ronnie Drew version on youtube)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wnqaSNygHs
    I am come of the seed of the people, the people that sorrow;
    Who have no treasure but hope,
    No riches laid up but a memory of an ancient glory
    My mother bore me in bondage, in bondage my mother was born,
    I am of the blood of serfs;
    The children with whom I have played, the men and women with whom I have eaten
    Have had masters over them, have been under the lash of masters,
    and though gentle, have served churls.
    The hands that have touched mine,
    the dear hands whose touch Is familiar to me
    Have worn shameful manacles, have been bitten at the wrist by manacles,
    have grown hard with the manacles and the task-work of strangers.
    I am flesh of the flesh of these lowly, I am bone of their bone I that have never submitted;
    I that have a soul greater than the souls of my people’s masters,
    I that have vision and prophecy, and the gift of fiery speech,
    I that have spoken with God on the top of his holy hill.
    And because I am of the people, I understand the people,
    I am sorrowful with their sorrow, I am hungry with their desire;
    My heart is heavy with the grief of mothers,
    My eyes have been wet with the tears of children,
    I have yearned with old wistful men,
    And laughed and cursed with young men;
    Their shame is my shame, and I have reddened for it
    Reddened for that they have served, they who should be free
    Reddened for that they have gone in want, while others have been full,
    Reddened for that they have walked in fear of lawyers and their jailors.
    With their Writs of Summons and their handcuffs,
    Men mean and cruel.
    I could have borne stripes on my body
    Rather than this shame of my people.
    And now I speak, being full of vision:
    I speak to my people, and I speak in my people’s name to
    The masters of my people:
    I say to my people that they are holy,
    That they are august despite their chains.
    That they are greater than those that hold them
    And stronger and purer,
    That they have but need of courage, and to call on the name of their God,
    God the unforgetting, the dear God who loves the people
    For whom he died naked, suffering shame.
    And I say to my people’s masters: Beware
    Beware of the thing that is coming, beware of the risen people
    Who shall take what ye would not give.
    Did ye think to conquer the people, or that law is stronger than life,
    And than men’s desire to be free?
    We will try it out with you ye that have harried and held,
    Ye that have bullied and bribed.
    Tyrants… hypocrites… liars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭WinstonSmith

Any sign of that clarification mods? There's only been one reply since this thread was moved. Surely it would do better business back in the literature forum...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

How about Churchill?

Some of those morale boosting speeches from early in the war when things were looking pretty bleak are very powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

"Μολὼν λαβέ" - Leonidas, King of Sparta at Thermopylae, 480 B.C.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Any sign of that clarification mods? There's only been one reply since this thread was moved. Surely it would do better business back in the literature forum...

Didn't you see my post where I said this was off topic? PM sceptre if you want to ask him to reconsider having it in Literature. No more posts on this issue in the thread or there will be infractions, it gets in the way and is annoying to readers, plus mod decisions are not supposed to be argued in thread, that's against the rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This is another very notable one I would love to have seen, this one from WW2.

Josef Goebbels 18 February 1943 speech at the Berlin Sportpalast, commonly known as the 'Wollt ihr den totalen Krieg?' speech.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-J05235%2C_Berlin%2C_Gro%C3%9Fkundgebung_im_Sportpalast.jpg
    The speech was made post-stalingrad and to a carefully selected audience. It was recorded and much of it is on youtube.
    2 selected quotes (used in almost every WW2 documentary known to man) :

Ich frage euch: Wollt ihr den totalen Krieg? Wollt ihr ihn, wenn nötig, totaler und radikaler, als wir ihn uns heute überhaupt erst vorstellen können?
    I ask you: Do you want total war? If necessary, do you want a war more total and radical than anything that we can even yet imagine?"

Nun, Volk, steh auf und Sturm brich los!
    "Now, people, rise up, and let the storm break loose!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Morlar wrote: »
    This is another very notable one I would love to have seen, this one from WW2.

Yeah right after I suggested Churchill, I was thinking about those nazi rally's.

Those people had rabble rousing down to a fine art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

The Rev Martin Luther King - standing at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on 28th August 1963.

His "I Have a Dream" speech is one of the most extraordinary and moving speeches ever made . And it wasn't a call to war - it was something far more effective.

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/mlkihaveadream.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

InTheTrees wrote: »
    How about Churchill?

Some of those morale boosting speeches from early in the war when things were looking pretty bleak are very powerful.
    several of them are available on YouTube. The finest hour speech is probably the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Yeah right after I suggested Churchill, I was thinking about those nazi rally's.

Those people had rabble rousing down to a fine art.
    So did Churchill :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

John F. Kennedy - American University Commencement Speech 1963

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG2PwhT0TDc

The iconic lines

'For, in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal.'

Also maybe the speech that got him killed

John F Kennedy Secret Society Speech

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZk8ronces&feature=related

How it seems to relate to today is uncanny

Advertisement