Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance??? Scared new mum

Options
  • 12-10-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Im just looking for some advice, Iv just found out im pregnant and expecting my first baby next year, I live with my parents as i couldn't afford to move out previously i am 31 and in a long term relationship but he also lives with a relative that he looks after so moving in with a baby is not an option.This relative is a big smoker and drinker i dont feel comfortable there so cannot imagine it with a baby. Iv just been let go from work a month ago,so the timing is not ideal at all,but my family home has no room for a baby i am staying in the spare room which is very small it just fits a single bed and a chest of drawers no wardrobe or lockers,its not meant to be a bedroom let alone a bedroom with all the babies things. I am looking to move out but my question is can i look for rent allowance? Do i need to be living in a place for 6 months?What will they need to see from me , a friend suggested the housing department as my parents house will be classed as over crowded? I have no idea what i can or cannot claim and with no job im stressing on how to afford the rent and babys things. Any suggestion would be fantastic ,Im trying not to let all this put a downer on a happy time for me. but it is scary to think i have no room for this baby.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

MEME, You need to talk all this over with a community welfare officer.

You can find your closest one here...

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/otheroffice/community-welfare-office-contact.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, go and talk to your council's housing office. They may not be able to help you until the baby is actually born, but it's good to start the discussion now.

Organisations like CURA might also have some help for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Try and get back into the job market as soon as possible. Lots of Christmas retail jobs are up at the moment.
    Does your partner work?
    You have a substantial window before the birth to build up savings.
    Focus on being self sufficient and rent a property on your own terms before you have to go to the Social.
    Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Move in with your partner into a new place. He should be taking responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Move in with your partner into a new place. He should be taking responsibility.

She already lives with her parents,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Gatling wrote: »
    She already lives with her parents,

Partner and parents are different people (I hope!).

But seriously now is the time to be proactive as others have said

Having thought some more about this - and conscious that this is A&P, not PI: Your partner will soon enough have some new responsibilities, and needs to start investigating and implementing other ways for his relative to be cared for. No matter what excuses he gives, there are other options, ranging from nursing homes to part-time cleaners, and various in between. How he handles this choice will tell you a lot about his real long term relationship potential (or otherwise).

Other places that may help you with household "stuff" if/when you get a house include VdP, and local charity shops.

Also, consider what other family members you have who may be able to help: even if they don't have space for you, they may know someone who has a suitable property to let. At age 31, it's not really suitable for you to be living with your parents unless you're looking after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Op I suggest you ask on the state benefits forum for advice .

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/861

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MEME2985

Zamboni wrote: »
    Try and get back into the job market as soon as possible. Lots of Christmas retail jobs are up at the moment.
    Does your partner work?
    You have a substantial window before the birth to build up savings.
    Focus on being self sufficient and rent a property on your own terms before you have to go to the Social.
    Good luck.

Thanks for your reply ,this was what i am hoping to do id rather rent my own and not have to ask for help , My partner is not in full time employment he works on and off. Do you know if i need to be living in a place for 6 months before i can get rent allowance? This would mean moving out at the end of December to give me 6 months before baby comes for me this is ideal i would be settled in a new place and i know paying my own way will make me feel better about myself but encase i do not have work before then and haven't saved a lot i just like to know all my options. Also would you tell the employer that you are pregnant during the interview or at any stage? Thank you so much agin

Hi thank you for your reply iv taken your advice and posted there to.

• Advertisement

Hi Gatling thank you for your reply iv taken your advice and posted there to.

Having thought some more about this - and conscious that this is A&P, not PI: Your partner will soon enough have some new responsibilities, and needs to start investigating and implementing other ways for his relative to be cared for. No matter what excuses he gives, there are other options, ranging from nursing homes to part-time cleaners, and various in between. How he handles this choice will tell you a lot about his real long term relationship potential (or otherwise).

Other places that may help you with household "stuff" if/when you get a house include VdP, and local charity shops.

Also, consider what other family members you have who may be able to help: even if they don't have space for you, they may know someone who has a suitable property to let. At age 31, it's not really suitable for you to be living with your parents unless you're looking after them.[/QUO
    Hi I totally agree it makes me nervous to think maybe hes not the type iv person i taught he was all these years a scary taught really. And its true i cant stay at my parents forever i normally dont tell people i live at home i try to avoid this in conversations at all cost. So i guess even though its not the best situation it will make me have to face some harsh realities. Thank you so much for this

Good luck OP, you could be in for a rough few months while you get things sorted.

Keep your chin up, and remember that it's all going to work out in the end. I know a few people who have faced things like this - it's hard at the time, but later on, lots of them say that they're glad things came to a head. Best case, your partner will step up to the plate and together you will find somewhere good to live an raise your family. Worst case, you'll know where you stand with him while you're still relatively young.

The Personal Issues forum is a good place for chatting about relationship issues. Work and Jobs can give you advice about getting a new job, State Benefits for info about your welfare rights - and here for rental advice.

Advertisement