Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlord selling house, year left on lease.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

BanjoKelly wrote: »
    This is not true.

If you are paying directly to a landlord who is resident outside of the state then yes you do have to keep 20% back and pay the revenue. This does not apply if you are paying an agent in the state.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

Read the section titled Landlords living abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

If you are paying directly to a landlord who is resident outside of the state then yes you do have to keep 20% back and pay the revenue. This does not apply if you are paying an agent in the state.

Read the section titled Landlords living abroad

Who will the revenue chase then if you are not keeping 20% to give to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

ffactj wrote: »

It is the tenants responsibility to pay the tax so it will be the tenant who will be chased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BanjoKelly

I was wrong above. And thanks for setting me straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

pooch90 wrote: »
    Shame! We're very handy for the motorway here which is another plus point for staying :(

Don't accommodate any more viewing op. If you find the agent is calling unannounced set up an I.P. camera and report them for criminal trespass.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ffactj

ffactj wrote: »

So the OP could be in trouble then and on the hook for another 20% of the rent?

That doesnt seem fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Great news on the Revenue side there! :(
    GreenMachine, we won't have any more viewings until we have everything in black and white from the landlord.
    There will be no agents calling unannounced or they will find themselves faced with zero viewings. Think the angry mutts would do more good than calling the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

pooch90 wrote: »
    Great news on the Revenue side there! :(
    GreenMachine, we won't have any more viewings until we have everything in black and white from the landlord.
    There will be no agents calling unannounced or they will find themselves faced with zero viewings. Think the angry mutts would do more good than calling the Gardai.

I Had a look there as I'm in a similar situation. I down loaded a doc off revenue that says you as tenant may not be aware of this rule and if that is the case all you will have to do is supply the LL details to revenue whom will then chase the LL for the tax due. I'll try and find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Here is the doc, http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/income-tax-capital-gains-tax-corporation-tax/part-45/45-01-04.pdf?download=true

So at least that is one worry off your head.

From this doc it looks to me that the onus is on you but you are not the chargeable person and need only do so after being notified by revenue to do so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement