Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel off-centre after truing, does it matter?

Options
  • 06-10-2014 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭

I got a rear wheel trued recently and while it's laterally and radially consistent the rim is off centre by maybe 3mm. I only noticed this because the tyre now rubs against the mudguards and I can visually see the different distances from the rim to the seat-stays.

It looks off by a fair bit to my eye when compared to the seat-stays but as you'd have to half the difference in the two gaps to get how much it's actually off by, it's probably only 3 or 4mm.

Does that matter, I'm hoping no? Apart from the slight annoyance that if I put on one of my worn back-wheels with its turbo tyre I'll have to adjust my mud-guards to stop them rubbing :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

AIUI, it will affect tracking. Have you tried riding no-hands on it?

Just to confirm, put the wheel in backwards and see do the distances reverse. Then bring it back and ask for it to be correctly dished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    AIUI, it will affect tracking. Have you tried riding no-hands on it?

I can't ride no-hands anyway, so that wouldn't be a great test for me ;)

I'll try reversing it tonight and I'm pretty sure it'll move the rim over to the other side as you expect.

Pain though as it's the only back wheel I have at the moment that I can go out on. The other two are turbo only - their rims are so worn down.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭theautophile

Bring it back to where you got it trued, they should be able to re dish it in under 30mins.

Advertisement