Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trasna na nGlennta - 5th Oct 2014

Options
  • 01-09-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Something to add to your calendar. This is a terrific and tough 100km through Gaeltacht West Cork hills and mountains. Guaranteed to interrupt some road bowling along the way too!

320557.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Any maps - particularly the 25k.
    Hoping to do that if suitable with my eldest daughter.
    If the 100 is the same route as usual then it is a cracking cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Last year I think it went the following route:
    Kilnamartyra - Ballyvourney - N22 County Bounds - Kilgarvan - Borlin - Coomhola - Pearson Bridge - Ballingeary - Kilnamartyra
    Climbs at the county bounds, Borlin, Kemineigh, and up out of Ballingeary. None of them difficult by themselves, but the last climb (5 km) was tough because it's near the end. It absolutely p1ssed all day last year, and I nearly got hypothermia. Visibility coming down from Borlin was also zero with the fog/mist/rain. But I'll do it again this year. Stunning route if it's sunny. Surface from Borlin down to Coomhola is really gone to sh1t, so you might need to select bikes accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Sorry ROK - just reread your post. You obviously know the 100 km route.
    Afraid I dont have any maps re 25 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 turbofish

This is a great day out. Well organised , great food and all for €20!! Must be one of the cheapest sportives on the calendar. And a trip in the Borlin valley without fear of getting lost. Maps are on the Valley Wheelers website .

This is a great day out. Well organised , great food and all for €20!! Must be one of the cheapest sportives on the calendar. And a trip in the Borlin valley without fear of getting lost. Maps are on the Valley Wheelers website .

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Looking to do this. Seems to be a turn up and spin thing.

What sort of numbers do this and is it 'fast'? I am looking at the long route as I was okay doing the 85k An Post Rebel Rider a couple of weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Ffs I'm missing this again this year. Club mates running a charity spin in limerick for cancer charity

Hunterbiker, there are usually >250 at this with all levels of ability.

• Advertisement

turbofish wrote: »
    Hunterbiker, there are usually >250 at this with all levels of ability.

Sound. Will have to give this a go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

What were the food stops like last year?? Sandwiches, coffee etc???

Plenty of???

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭connie_c

Anyone know what time it starts? Going to be driving from Killarney. I see reg is at 8.30 but I don't want to be hanging around for ages when I could be in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

connie_c wrote: »
    Anyone know what time it starts? Going to be driving from Killarney. I see reg is at 8.30 but I don't want to be hanging around for ages when I could be in bed!

My Strava starts at 9:20 am last year. I guess the official time was supposed to be 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Food is great, sandwiches scones and the braic of course, roll out at 9,great event.

Looking forward to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Looking forward to this!

Fiddling with the bike in preparation as we speak!!last sportive of the season for me so going to have a good cut off it!

Really enjoyed this despite the weather. Did tge 65km route. Well organised and lovely cake.

Advertisement