Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Ships in with Wind Turbines

Options
  • 19-12-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

With all the talk about storms two ships have arrived in Galway Docks with a cargo of wind turbines, I have never seen blades as big as these, take a look at some great pictures of them in the docks on this link, wonder where they are heading for would not like these near my home

http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Chicken1 wrote: »
    With all the talk about storms two ships have arrived in Galway Docks with a cargo of wind turbines, I have never seen blades as big as these, take a look at some great pictures of them in the docks on this link, wonder where they are heading for would not like these near my home

http://galwayships.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2

Probably for the big windfarm under construction west of Moycullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The ones I've seen constructed came on the back of an artic,albeit with an extended trailer.Those things look colossal.
    Heard a radio article the other day about some Irish company who have designed turbines with circular blades which are much smaller but three times as efficient,so even in more sheltered areas or less windy countries turbines could be an option.
    I'd plant them all upside down in the mid Atlantic but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kneemos wrote: »
    There's sea snakes for the water...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

kneemos wrote: »
    The ones I've seen constructed came on the back of an artic,albeit with an extended trailer.Those things look colossal.
    Heard a radio article the other day about some Irish company who have designed turbines with circular blades which are much smaller but three times as efficient,so even in more sheltered areas or less windy countries turbines could be an option.

They could be describing vertical axis wind turbines. Many different variants of those, and they are supposed to be good in areas with low wind and turbulence.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

I'm not sure what the opposition is about, though.

My home-place is down near Bunclody, in Co. Wexford, and there've been wind turbines put up all over the place there - you can see about 50 of them from the front yard. There's one about a kilometre up the hill behind the house.

They're not intrusive - indeed, I really like the look of them; it's like an image out of the utopian life-in-the-year-2000 books we had as kids in the 80s. And they're making a definite difference to the economy in the area; the famers whose land they're on (and it's pretty marginal land otherwise) are benefiting directly, and that extends to plenty of other local businesses.

Indeed, given a choice between futuristic wind turbines and the plague of white bungalows that's littering the country since the 80s, I'll take the wind turbines like a shot. I'd like to see some in Kildare, too, though I'm told it's much less likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭nilhg

gothwalk wrote: »

My home-place is down near Bunclody, in Co. Wexford, and there've been wind turbines put up all over the place there - you can see about 50 of them from the front yard. There's one about a kilometre up the hill behind the house.

They're not intrusive - indeed, I really like the look of them; it's like an image out of the utopian life-in-the-year-2000 books we had as kids in the 80s. And they're making a definite difference to the economy in the area; the famers whose land they're on (and it's pretty marginal land otherwise) are benefiting directly, and that extends to plenty of other local businesses.

Indeed, given a choice between futuristic wind turbines and the plague of white bungalows that's littering the country since the 80s, I'll take the wind turbines like a shot. I'd like to see some in Kildare, too, though I'm told it's much less likely.

Come to the west of the county and you'll see plenty of no turbine posters and car stickers, there are plenty of developments in the planning stages in East Offaly/West Kildare/Laois and Bord Na Mona are planning a huge wind development on their cutaway bogs in the same area.

There is a possibility that these turbines are for the BNM wind farm at Mt Lucas, the plan was to have the turbines delivered before Christmas and erected in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

How did they get them off the ships?? Id say you'd be struggling to fit a crane big enough for that job on the docks in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

gothwalk wrote: »

Not everyone is thrilled with them in North Wexford.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/news/wind-turbine-noise-drives-you-insane-29168133.html

Similiar issues around the country.

Advertisement