Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Choosing a Bike

Options
  • 07-08-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry to put up another thread about the cycle to work scheme but I really am struggling to find the right bike. I just want to get the right one for me. I've been to all the major bike shops and I must say, I'm not greatly impressed.

For example, I used to have a Trek 7.2 fx. Loved it - great bike, solid, commuted daily. I'm looking for something similar but I want a higher spec but I don't want a road bike. I want smoother gear shifts, better tyres and I want it to look pretty good too. I'm heavy enough so I want to be able to step up and pedal.

My choices:

Trek 7.2, 7.3, 7.4 (can't afford a 7.5)
    Giant Escape (kinda)
    Giant Rapid 2, 3, 4
    Stevens 6x Disc

The guys in the bike shop say -
    "oh, you had a 7.2, well here's the 2012 model" "Do you have anything higher spec - can we upgrade the derailleur" "Oh, well - here's a 7.3"
    or
    "oh, you had a 7.2, well we don't do Trek but here's a Giant rapid 2". "ok, whats the difference between the two" "Ah, they're all pretty much the same"

Its actually been that bad. I asked a guy to send me out a quote today (I've already got one from them - just got it updated) - he said "sure, come on in for it" - I give up. So I really would appreciate everyones help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

So you want a bike like you used to have, but it's got to be different?

Either get the trek 7.3 or get the 7.2 and buy some new tyres and new shifters/derailleurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Obviously if you liked the old 7.2 then the new 7.3 has to be worth a test at least but... I'm currently on an old Focus and loving it so why not try the Arriba 2.0
    (since when did software engineers start naming bikes?)
    It's got Sora shifters which might feel like an upgrade (or maybe not), a fork full of carbon goodness and should be around the price of a 7.4. Frankly it all seems too good for a commuter ;)

Of course you could always try a Cube Hyde Pro (version 6.2.9200.16384 RTM) which is another thing altogether, Nexus 8 for low maintenance and made entirely from recycled Stella cans for extra durability. Stick on a chain guard, some fenders, a rack and you're ready to go. (Dutch accent and hemp shoes sold separately :) ).

Personally, I'd avoid the whole disc brakes thing for town. They really work, even better than rim brakes IMHO but the added price and more rigid fork required don't make much sense for normal use.
    Don't forget a Kryptonite NYC or equivalent and a good cable lock too to avoid having to post your first photo on the "stolen bikes" thread.

Anyway, best of luck with the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

So you want a bike like you used to have, but it's got to be different?

Either get the trek 7.3 or get the 7.2 and buy some new tyres and new shifters/derailleurs.

See, that kind of attitude.

Obviously if you liked the old 7.2 then the new 7.3 has to be worth a test at least but... I'm currently on an old Focus and loving it so why not try the Arriba 2.0
    (since when did software engineers start naming bikes?)
    It's got Sora shifters which might feel like an upgrade (or maybe not), a fork full of carbon goodness and should be around the price of a 7.4. Frankly it all seems too good for a commuter ;)

Of course you could always try a Cube Hyde Pro (version 6.2.9200.16384 RTM) which is another thing altogether, Nexus 8 for low maintenance and made entirely from recycled Stella cans for extra durability. Stick on a chain guard, some fenders, a rack and you're ready to go. (Dutch accent and hemp shoes sold separately :) ).

Personally, I'd avoid the whole disc brakes thing for town. They really work, even better than rim brakes IMHO but the added price and more rigid fork required don't make much sense for normal use.
    Don't forget a Kryptonite NYC or equivalent and a good cable lock too to avoid having to post your first photo on the "stolen bikes" thread.

Anyway, best of luck with the purchase.

Thanks buddy
    Thats exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

I spotted the Focus Arriba 2.0 but they didn't have one in Eurocycles when I went for a trial.
    I was told that the Giant Rapid is a road bike with a flat bar and therefore not what I'm looking for as the more aggressive road position is not good for my back and neck. The Escape RX is more appropriate I think.

Cube looks great - will take that for a ride.
    - you reckon you would avoid the Nexus 8 for about town.

Thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

karlitob wrote: »
    I was told that the Giant Rapid is a road bike with a flat bar and therefore not what I'm looking for as the more aggressive road position is not good for my back and neck. The Escape RX is more appropriate I think.
    If the bike is the correct fit, and this is where the bike shop comes in, you should be able to spend several hours in the saddle without back or neck issues.

To enjoy ccommuting, the bike should be lighter rather than heavier. Why not take one of those flat bar bikes for a short test spin. The Cubes seem to be good value for money this year.

• Advertisement

If the bike is the correct fit, and this is where the bike shop comes in, you should be able to spend several hours in the saddle without back or neck issues.

To enjoy ccommuting, the bike should be lighter rather than heavier. Why not take one of those flat bar bikes for a short test spin. The Cubes seem to be good value for money this year.

Thanks - its actually a rugby injury - burst disk in neck and back so prolonged flexion is to be avoided - I get the same prob in the car. Rather than an injury caused by my position - its an injury aggravated by position but as you say, I should give it a go.

Im having a good look at the Cubes - looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭reallyunique

Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding there. I'm all for the Nexus 8, a sealed system that should go a long way without a service. Love hub gears for town work, but that's just me.
    Remember that they're low maintenance not no maintenance so bring 'em back to the shop every so often for a checkup and don't hose them down.

Show us a photo of your new steed when you get it too. Some of us can't afford all this new kit ;)

Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding there. I'm all for the Nexus 8, a sealed system that should go a long way without a service. Love hub gears for town work, but that's just me.
    Remember that they're low maintenance not no maintenance so bring 'em back to the shop every so often for a checkup and don't hose them down.

Show us a photo of your new steed when you get it too. Some of us can't afford all this new kit ;)

Hey guys,

A pic of my new bike:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multiuse/sirrus/sirruselite#specs

Went with the Specialized Sirrus Elite. Picking it up on Tuesday.

Tried the Giant Rapid and loved - must lighter and faster bike with a nice forward position and it was then I knew I wanted the Sirrus. Pluggin in and out of the city in the misreable rain and with my back and neck problems I needed to be more upright - its a perfect suit for me.

Can't wait to pick it up.

BUT, did come across this bike and thought it looked great and fantastic value also.

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/element

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Ive had loads of bikes over the years. I got my first 'Nelly' last year and I love it. It reminds me of a Video Recorder, dead easy to use!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You will probably need mudguards and a rack (back carrier) and panniers. Get the bike shop to fit the mudguards. You could do it yourself but imo pay them to do it and avoid the struggle.
    I have a 2005 Specialized Sirrus and it is a good bike. They are well built.

• Advertisement

kincsem wrote: »
    You will probably need mudguards and a rack (back carrier) and panniers. Get the bike shop to fit the mudguards. You could do it yourself but imo pay them to do it and avoid the struggle.
    I have a 2005 Specialized Sirrus and it is a good bike. They are well built.

Got the mudguards and other bells and whistles - not a fan of panniers so just have my backpack (and reflective cover)

Advertisement