Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 Toll Bridge

• 17-09-2009 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question on it. Couldn't find the answer anywhere here so apologies if it's been answered before.

Who gets the money from the tolls? I know the NRA bought the bridge off NTR but didn't they pass the operation off to BetEire or some place like that?

And how do all the different tag companies make money? Do they take a slice of the fare?

This has been wrecking my head for a while trying to find out :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tag companies charge a fee to have a tag, and most get cash off you up front - meaning they can bank it and get the interest. I've no idea if there is a commission for them though.

The money from the toll is used to pay (directly or indirectly I don't know) M50 Concession Ltd who are building the northern/southern reaches of the M50 upgrade (the NRA paid for the Westlink section) and maintain the entire lot for 30 or so years. Bet Eire Flow collect it for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The NRA get the money and pay beteireflow about 28% or so of it.

Pretty much each tag co. is a toll co. too. So they get money from all tag users transferred electronically when any tag user uses their own toll. This saves them on the hassle of moving the bulk cash.

Most of the tag co.s get a monthly fee from each tag user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It`s a kind of NAMA-on-Wheels.....:)

You pay for something in your general taxation plus your motor taxation then it`s divided up amongst the "right" people who devise a scheme to make you pay again.....I think it`s Cool :cool: :cool: :cool:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It`s a kind of NAMA-on-Wheels.....:)

You pay for something in your general taxation plus your motor taxation then it`s divided up amongst the "right" people who devise a scheme to make you pay again.....I think it`s Cool :cool: :cool: :cool:

If we cant afford to build it and cant pay any one to built it do we just magic it up?

I would love to live in your fairly land but economic realties mean this will never happen.

The implemtnation of how it is done maybe flawed but the principles arent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pretty much each tag co. is a toll co. too.

The largest one (easytrip) isn't - but then again, it has the sheer volume of tags that I suspect it copes quite handily off fees and interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement