Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen Roche and drugs

• 26-03-2004 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

From todays Indo. There's been a fair number of rumours about this over the years, he associated with the wrong doctors (in hindsight) from time to time, but he has consistently maintained his innocence and can claim negative results from every drug test he ever did.

IRELAND'S Tour de France hero Stephen Roche hit out angrily last night at suggestions by an Italian judge that he had taken performance enhancing drugs during his career.

Roche, who admitted feeling "burnt" by the judge's assertions, responded to the controversy by insisting: "I have never taken performance enhancing drugs whether banned or unbanned, on or off the list, at any time."

"In fact, I underwent hundreds of tests during my career and all were negative," continued Roche, who also won the Giro d'Italia and World Championship in a glittering pro' career.

The issue of drug taking during Roche's career raised its head after the publication this week of an Italian judge's report claiming that Dr Giovanni Grazzi, the doctor for Roche's Carrera team in 1993, had administered EPO to the star members of his team, including Roche.

EPO, a performance enhancing drug which thickens the blood, was not banned until after 1993 but any proof that Roche used the drug even before it was banned would severely damage his reputation.

The report of Judge Franca Oliva added: "One cannot but arrive at the conclusion that Dr Grazzi was effectively involved in the direct dispensing of EPO to (Guido) Bontempi, (Claudio) Chiapucci, (Mario) Chiesa, Roche and (Rolf) Sorenson."

She had also criticised the silence of the athletes involved. "The court was faced with total omerta on the part of the athletes, even in the face of the most obvious and incontrovertible evidence."

Responding to the claims of silence, an indignant Roche stated he "never had a phonecall from anyone asking me was I administered with performance enhancing drugs by Grazzi. I can promise you this." Controversy has also centered on the use of codenames in Grazzi's research which many claim has added a suspicious air of secrecy to the whole affair. In response, Roche said: "I first heard about the issue of codenames on blood samples in 2000."

"The journalist David Walsh raised the issue and when I asked Grazzi about it he told me that there was no point in putting people's real names to the samples because they were being used for experimentation at Ferrara University."

"After my blood was taken from my by Grazzi it was then sent to Ferrara University for tests. After the results came back to me, the university then used the samples for, what I heard was, plasma testing so I have no control over what doctors do to my blood once they have it in a university," explained Roche.

Roche also pointed out that there would have been no question of him using performance enhancing drugs in 1993 as his career was winding down and he had only ridden that year's Tour de France, in which he finished a creditable 13th overall, for "fun".

The judge's summing up followed the trial for doping offences of Profesor Francesco Conconi and his two assistants, Dr Grazzi and Dr Casoni. The trial was the result of a five-year investigation.

Despite the judge's damning conclusion all three defendants were acquitted on what amounted to a technicality because, as a result of the Statute of Limitations, their offences were deemed to have taken place too long ago to attract prosecution.

Among the 33 sport stars named in the court indictment were Maurizio Fondriest, Gianni Bugno, the late Marco Pantani, as well as Olympic skiing champions Silvio Fauner and Manuela De Centa.

Colm O'Donovan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Originally posted by cableguy
    The only thing Stephen Roche was strung out on was cheese.:D :D
    Not on any banned list i know of(yet).

probably his coaches :D the man was partial to chocoalte cake as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Its such a pity that all this is going on.

Its a shame that when a cyclist wins a few races that there is uncertainty over their integrity and how 'clean' they are.
    Im in 2 minds over this issue. I would nearly prefer if the past was left alone and the investigations were concentrating on todays stars. Leave the memories of heroes alone. But then maybe its better to have the truth known to help make the sport clean now.
    What is the opinion of everyone else?
    And what do people think of Manzano's allegations against Kelme? Is it the truth or just lies made up by a bitter man to gain some revenge for being sacked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

my take on this is the smoke and fire vareity. Why is with the likes of Boardman they're known to be on l'eau. If this known what does it imply about the others, are the ones not on l'eau on drugs?
    This has always confused me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

It's sad really, At the end he was getting through 2 tubes of Preparation H every day.

Advertisement