Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened the Killarney Cycle Fest

Options
  • 13-01-2019 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for my dad!!

In August 2017 my dad was supposed to do the Ring the "wrong" way round as part of the Killarney Cycle Fest however he had to withdraw due to injury. Last year there was no sign of the event and it's as if they fell off the face of the earth. There's been no posts on their Facebook or Twitter pages since August 2017.

So does anyone know what happened them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I e-mailed them a few months back but got no reply, I suspect lack of numbers put an end to it, I cycled it in 2017 and really enjoyed the day. Much friendlier than the RoK, a more enjoyable cycling experience due to lesser numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

I e-mailed them a few months back but got no reply, I suspect lack of numbers put an end to it, I cycled it in 2017 and really enjoyed the day. Much friendlier than the RoK, a more enjoyable cycling experience due to lesser numbers.

Yea I had heard it was a nice days cycling, although obviously not as big as the RoK I thought the numbers were supposed to be solid enough all the same..... Maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Not sure could be just idol gossip but heard it was just set up by a local hotel as it was snubbed as the start and finish for the ROK proper..

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Not sure could be just idol gossip but heard it was just set up by a local hotel as it was snubbed as the start and finish for the ROK proper..

Why would a charity organization support a commercial, for-profit event? I don't know what happened to it but I guess it's expensive to run an event like that, if you don't have a lot of volunteers, and it just might not have been a commercial success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

TGD wrote: »
    Why would a charity organization support a commercial, for-profit event? I don't know what happened to it but I guess it's expensive to run an event like that, if you don't have a lot of volunteers, and it just might not have been a commercial success.

They are two separate entities but the charity used the hotels car park for years as the finish line for the charity event.....
    The charity moved the finish line into the center of the town so not just that hotel group was getting all the spoils of 10'000/family members finishing the charity event.
    The hotel took exception to it and tried start their own cycling event/"cycling festival"...It wasn't a commercial success and didn't work out for several factors I would imagine costs being the deciding factor...

• Advertisement
Advertisement