Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor didnt pay Property Tax

Options
  • 13-12-2018 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Apologies if this is not in the correct forum.
    So i just paid the property tax on my house which i completed the purchase of last February 2018 and as i was speaking to the operator i asked them to check what was paid last year but he said for whatever reason the property was not liable for tax under the previous owner.
    The property tax was not paid for 2018 which was not flagged as an issue by him but last year when i got my final bill from my solicitor the invoice clearly states that there is a LPT of €497 due for 2018 which is much more than was due this year €283.
    I'm just wondering if i should investigate further or chalk it down to experience but its an expensive little lesson and I'm not really sure what i have learned from it :-(

What are peoples thoughts are on this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

tadhg88 wrote: »
    Apologies if this is not in the correct forum.
    So i just paid the property tax on my house which i completed the purchase of last February 2018 and as i was speaking to the operator i asked them to check what was paid last year but he said for whatever reason the property was not liable for tax under the previous owner.
    The property tax was not paid for 2018 which was not flagged as an issue by him but last year when i got my final bill from my solicitor the invoice clearly states that there is a LPT of €497 due for 2018 which is much more than was due this year €283.
    I'm just wondering if i should investigate further or chalk it down to experience but its an expensive little lesson and I'm not really sure what i have learned from it :-(

What are peoples thoughts are on this??

Was there lpt due on property? Did your solicitor pay it? Did vendors solicitor pay it? Are you liable for payment?
    If your solicitor paid it get a lpt reciept fro solicitor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tadhg88

lalababa wrote: »
    Was there lpt due on property? Did your solicitor pay it? Did vendors solicitor pay it? Are you liable for payment?
    If your solicitor paid it get a lpt reciept fro solicitor!!

I presume when i became the owner in Feb 2018 it was liable for LPT but I'm not 100% on this as the LPT person on the phone said, looking at the records he could see that the property was not liable before 2019(which is what i just paid).
    No LPT was paid before 2019 so no the solicitor did not pay it or else there is no record on the LPT system, which is surely unlikely.
    Next step i think is to try go through whatever letters and emails i got from solicitor to make sure there no receipt provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Absolutely do not just chalk it down to experience, chase it up and insist on a refund if they have charged you for something that wasn't paid and/or didnt need to be paid. If you cant find it, ask for a copy of the receipt, even if it's not a separate receipt for LPT, your invoice itemises this charge and if you have a receipt showing that you paid the invoice in full, that's proof that you were charged for this. I would also get onto Revenue again and seek written confirmation that there was no property tax paid for 2018 and that the property wasn't liable for any. That way you are armed with your proof when you challenge the solicitor on this, and it's not just your word against theirs. They earn a living by finding ways around the truth if necessary (e.g. defending guilty clients), so have your evidence ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DaymanNightman

Definitely follow up on it with your solicitor. If there was no liability for 2018 the previous owner may of had an exemption of some sort.

When you purchased the property in February a Property ID and PIN would have been allocated to your PPS Number. You probably got a letter recently with these details for LPT 2019. If you log in online at www.revenue.ie using these details you can view the payment history on the property. This will show you if any payments at all were made on the property going back to when it came in in 2013. If you see that no payments were ever made then it could be the case that the previous owner was always exempt from LPT.

Also, since you purchased the property in February 2018 you really shouldn't even be liable for 2018. Whoever owns a property on 1st November is liable for the LPT for the following year.. e.g whoever owned the property on 1st November 2016 was liable for LPT 2017 and whoever owned the property on 1st November 2017 was liable for LPT 2018, etc.

I'd definitely check up on it with your solicitor. In fairness it's €497 you've been billed, which for a lot of people could really come in handy, especially this time of year with Christmas coming up. All the best with it

Advertisement