Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often to check property.

• 12-12-2018 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭

So the family renting our house have moved out.
    Things had gotten rough for them going through a family breakup

I had been in viewing the property 9-10 months ago and it was “acceptable”, not spotless but ok.

No cleaning whatsoever seems to have been done since, not a surface wiped, nothing. We came to an agreement regarding the removal of the last of their goods which should be gone this weekend. We’re holding 25% of the deposit towards cleaning, now I realise it wasn’t enough.

We had expected to paint, but walls are so dirty they can’t be painted until they grime and dirt is washed off.

My question is how often do landlords check properties??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

_Brian wrote: »
    So the family renting our house have moved out.
    Things had gotten rough for them going through a family breakup

I had been in viewing the property 9-10 months ago and it was “acceptable”, not spotless but ok.

No cleaning whatsoever seems to have been done since, not a surface wiped, nothing. We came to an agreement regarding the removal of the last of their goods which should be gone this weekend. We’re holding 25% of the deposit towards cleaning, now I realise it wasn’t enough.

We had expected to paint, but walls are so dirty they can’t be painted until they grime and dirt is washed off.

My question is how often do landlords check properties??
    Where I rent the agents come and take pictures every 6 months or so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

The RTB expect landlords to check properties every 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yea.
    Everything went well for first three years, then marriage hit the rocks, last time I was in I thought maybe it was just a bad time, at last contract renewal I included a note that I would be reviewing the rent (first in four years), it really seems there was a concerted effort to do nothing after that.
    Four kids seemed to be let loose to live wild for last few months which took its toll.

Onwards and upwards.

The deep clean is ongoing and painting after that, no real repairs which is great. Outside is messy and grass wasn’t cut but a few days should right that.

Have two families already interested without advertising, both of which I know very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm not a landlord or a renter, so no axe to grind either way.

I did rent a house privately about 30 years ago for a while and the landlord (who lived very near) mowed the grass every week (there was a very large lawn out the back). This arrangement suited both of us, as we got the grass cut and he'd get chance to see that his house was OK.

Maybe you could suggest mowing the grass each week when your new renters move in? It wouldn't give you opportunity to view the inside of course, but it could give you a general impression of the house and whether it's being kept in a good condition. As you say you're friendly with the potential renters already, they'd probably ask you in for a cup of coffee at the same time, giving you chance to see the inside at the same time.

I do think you should thank your lucky stars that the previous tenants "only" left the house needing a good clean. Some of the horror stories I've read in this forum would make you weep!

As for your original question, I think an official check up every six months would be perfectly acceptable.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm not a landlord, and I've never rented in Ireland, but from speaking to friends who are landlords or tenants, a quarterly inspection seems to be quite common. One friend said her landlord did quarterly inspections for the first 2 years and then after that he comes once a year. That particular friend is nearly obsessive about cleanliness though, you could eat a meal off her floor.

I may be going down the reluctant landlord route in the future and I'll be doing quarterly inspections if that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The RTB expect landlords to check properties every 3 months.

If I remember right they found that a landlord that didn't check a property often enough was partially responsible for a tenant leaving it in a kip. You are expected to check the property regularly to mitigate any issues.

Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 months they expect but 6-9 months is too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Live on a farm in the farmhouse for 6 years
    See the landlord daily on the farm but never seen him inside the house
    Other houses I have rented never have seen then also exept on house
    Landlady wanted to check every two months
    Moved out after 8 months want privacy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Typically for a new tenant, I check after the first month, then 2 visits spaced at 3 months each. then 6 months later, then once a year.

If there's an issue at any of those, I revert back to once a month until I have the confidence rebuilt that they won't wreck the place.

If it's really bad, I'll come back a week later or a couple of days to check. I've only done that once. Let's just say when I came back, they got their notice to leave. And as a note, that was also a relationship breakdown.

Advertisement