Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet with integrated front directional light

Options
  • 20-11-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    now we're well into that time of year I'm having to up my illumination to full xmas tree mode. After a few harum scarums with left merging motorists, I'm really missing my head mounted light.
    Since I need to get a new helmet, and the head mounting is a bit of faff, I was wondering if anyone knew of a helment with an good integrated light.
    I've seen a few with diffuse array of leds, but I really like having a fairly tight beam that I point at cars looking like they may be cutting me up. For years I've

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I've used a lockblock velcro and rubber mount and a small torch for this purpose in the past. These days, I use a decent light on the bike and good road positioning.

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/twofish-lockblock-bike-mount

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

It is suspected that Michael Schumacher's helmet broke in two on impact due to a camera mounted on it. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/michael-schumacher/10640839/Michael-Schumacher-skiing-crash-did-helmet-camera-cause-head-injuries.html

I'd rather avoid having anything hard mounted on the helmet; in case of a crash it can theoretically break through it and damage your head further.

Note I carry a very small rear USB light strapped to the back of my helmet, but I would not dare to install any substantial front light, considering their size and weight. Or a camera for that matter.

Maybe that's why we do not see big integrated lights - anything serious would be a/heavy and b/requiring to overbuild the protective structure of the helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

thanks, I guess there might be reason for it.
    yes, I have decent lights already on bike, with backups (and a laser). Helmet mounting is a secondary source - it may be largely psychological, but if there is a car tootling down a side entrance I just feel a bit more reassured if I can play the head beam on them and see their looking at me.

I have the mounts + decent penlight already, guess I'll dig them out.

I'll probably settle for a helment with rear LEDs, they seem to be fairly prevalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

Alek wrote: »

This got me worried, however I cannot find any conclusive finding. Indeed an objective study, albeit small scale, found that helmet mounting may actually reduce transferred impact trauma. https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/safetynews/whatsnew/helmet-cams

Thought noticeably this is external mounts as opposed to my now much less desired integrated bit of hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭jamesd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

souter wrote: »
    it may be largely psychological, but if there is a car tootling down a side entrance I just feel a bit more reassured if I can play the head beam on them and see their looking at me.

I plough the lonely furrow of using wrist lights. They're handy in numerous ways, in my humble and isolated opinion.

369839.JPG

Those are homemade, based on Moon Crescent lights with the belt clip, and old iPod shuffle wristbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just because gopro decided to threaten legal action, does not count as evidence either way.

just because gopro decided to threaten legal action, does not count as evidence either way.
    Is there any evidence to indicate that the helmetcam was a problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know if there is. but gopro threatening to sue hardly counts as evidence to the contrary.

• Advertisement

i don't know if there is. but gopro threatening to sue hardly counts as evidence to the contrary.

You can't be accepting rumour as evidence for the positive, but get picky about the negative.

i'm not accepting rumour as evidence for the positive. i've not seen any evidence at all which i regard as indicative of anything, so i have no position on whether the camera was a factor or not.

for example - if i hear about a trial of which i've no other knowledge except that the accused has entered a plea of not guilty, i'm not going to take that as evidence of lack of guilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The risk of helmet appendages increasing angular rotation or even just acting like a spike has been discussed for quite a while, as far as I recall, but I don't think it's been investigated seriously. Not that I've heard of anyway, but I could easily have missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I got one simply because I was tired of the scrotes nicking them off my bike and I always bring my helmet with me

However, the only way I could get it to mount was by hanging it off a flap inside my helmet so it actually sits on my forehead.

It does concern me what that might do in an accident. But the forehead is very hard and to be honest I think if anything hit me in a way that the headlight would hurt me it'd probably do similar damage without the headlight there?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember it was gospel for a while that full face helms (MTB, Motorbike) caused a huge increase in snapped necks due to a whipping action. Turned out to be total bollox.

Far more pressing dangers to be worried about.

Advertisement