Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance Calculation

Options
  • 23-10-2018 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi. I have 2 children (8 and 9). My Ex wife and I have been separated for over a year now. She lives in rented accommodation and I have stayed in the family home. The house/mortgage is in my name only. We drafted our own agreement and agreed equity split, custody etc. She dragged her heels in getting the agreement drafted by her solicitor and now is looking to renegotiate everything again.

I currently have the kids 3 days one week and then 4 days the next.
    I take home €3800 per month and have nothing left over when mortgage, bills etc are paid
    I pay €600 a month in Child Maintenance as well as half school costs, activities etc. I am fully self sufficient when it comes to clothes and anything the kids need when they are with me.
    My ex refuses to work and gets various social welfare payments.

I am tired of non committal solicitor jargon and would like to hear real peoples experiences.

My question is:
    Am I paying too much?
    If I go to court am I likely to get a reduction/increase?
    Will the fact that she refuses to get any type of work (weekend/part time) be considered in the court proceedings.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi singledad1979, welcome to Boards. You may get better insight in the Separation & Divorce forum. The Personal Issues / Relationship Issues can also provide some valuable insights, but it may be in relation to your own situation rather than what people have gone through themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Sounds like she is caught in the welfare trap.

192 weekly base payment
    30 for each child weekly
    Possible few hundred a month towards rent
    About 300 monthly children's allowance
    Plus your 600 and half of the school bills. That's over 2,000 quid a month.

I know fellas paying a hell of a lot less and only seeing the kids once every two weeks. The fact your taking them half of the time should mean you pay less.

Does she give you any money to cover costs when there with you half of the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 singledad1979

Thanks piplip87. I pay for half the costs of the kids gymnastics and any other activity they do when in her care but she refuses to pay for swimming lessons when they are with me. I appreciate that she is short on funds so I don't chase her for the money.

I am completely self sufficient so I receive nothing for them when I am looking after them. I buy all their shoes, coats, sports gear etc also.

My concern is that when we go to court that I could come out worse off. I also am being taxed as a married man at the moment which will change following separation further reducing my income.

She is looking for €1200-1400 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

Thanks piplip87. I pay for half the costs of the kids gymnastics and any other activity they do when in her care but she refuses to pay for swimming lessons when they are with me. I appreciate that she is short on funds so I don't chase her for the money.

I am completely self sufficient so I receive nothing for them when I am looking after them. I buy all their shoes, coats, sports gear etc also.

My concern is that when we go to court that I could come out worse off. I also am being taxed as a married man at the moment which will change following separation further reducing my income.

She is looking for €1200-1400 a month.

Speak to a solicitor, you taking them half of time, paying half school bills etc O cannot see how any judge would have you paying anymore.

Advertisement