Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Management Company issues

Options
  • 12-03-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Bought an apartment last year as an investment. Ongoing issues however with the management company.

There are 2 problems.

1 - The intercom doesn't work. Technically it will allow people in, the door release button is functional. But the intercom box at the front door is badly rusted and clearly there is water inside. When you ring the bell or lift the receiver inside the apartment you get a loud high pitched noise which basically drowns out anyone talking.

2 - It's a block of 6 apartments, 4 occupied. Some of the other residents/tenants have a habit of leaving the main block door on the snib meaning anybody could walk in. Aside from the obvious security risk, this would probably invalidate insurance claims if it could be shown that the property is being left like that.

I have spoken to the receptionist at the property management company a few times. First off she didn't return my call. Second time I called she claimed that an electrician had checked out the intercom and it was fine, meaning that the issue was in my apartment only. I didn't really believe her, but I went ahead and got my own electrician to check out the handset in the apartment, which was fine. He confirmed that the issue is due to water getting into the rusty unit at the door.

Regarding the snibbed door, she claimed that it was due to a set of problem tenants who would be moving out shortly.

2 months later, the problem tenants are gone and still the door keeps being left unlocked. Same girl told me that she will get a sign put on the door asking tenants to keep it locked for security reasons. That was 3 weeks ago and the sign isn't up.

I'm about to call them back and insist on speaking to the boss as the receptionist is basically taking the mick at this point.

I'm just wondering what my rights are? At the end of the day the company can't be held responsible for each and every resident and their refusal to close the door properly but they don't seem to be trying very hard either. And as for the intercom, do they need all residents to complain or can I force them to take action myself? When I spoke to them before about an issue on the roof (shared space) that needed to be resolved they basically said that the cost of the repair would be divided up and added to the next year's fees.

Surely that should come out of the funds they have already? First time dealing with a management company so I'm a bit green. PS this property is in the North if that makes a difference to advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

First port of call should be to refer to the management company agreement which will be in place, you should have received a copy when you purchased the property. This should contain details of how repairs ilke you mention are to be funded.

Ordinarily the management company is in the form of a trust, the trustees are the owners of the apartments, check your contract to see if this is the case.

A management company will be statutorily required to hold an annual general meeting, if you're a trustee you will have the right to vote at the AGM on any motions presented. In addition motions will have to be formally documented in minutes and made available to all trustees.

If you don't receive a satisfactory response in the mean time from escalating the issue above the secretary, raise the issues you've noted at the next AGM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I do remember receiving a share in the management company when I purchased the apartment.

I'll investigate. Thanks.

Advertisement