Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is housemate trying to avoid paying bills?

Options
  • 08-03-2018 11:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭

We have had a new housemate move in a few weeks ago. I've got a bill in my name. It's only €7 each, so not that much at all. I like to keep things simple and I've told housemates that the bill is the first of each month, this is to allow for any late payments from the housemates but it's actually due on the fifth if each month.

So last week, I said that the bill was due and whenever they have the money. So Tuesday, I had to remind him again but he only had a €10 note which he didn't want to leave with me. I didn't have change but that's not my fault. So I sent him another message today asking can he get change for the bill that he owes. This message went ignored or forgotten about.

So how many more times do I have to ask for €7. I don't want to seem like I'm nagging. It's not a whole lot but I can't let him away because it'll just keep piling up.

Where do I go from here?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Clickbait wrote: »
    We have had a new housemate move in a few weeks ago. I've got a bill in my name. It's only €7 each, so not that much at all. I like to keep things simple and I've told housemates that the bill is the first of each month, this is to allow for any late payments from the housemates but it's actually due on the fifth if each month.

So last week, I said that the bill was due and whenever they have the money. So Tuesday, I had to remind him again but he only had a €10 note which he didn't want to leave with me. I didn't have change but that's not my fault. So I sent him another message today asking can he get change for the bill that he owes. This message went ignored or forgotten about.

So how many more times do I have to ask for €7. I don't want to seem like I'm nagging. It's not a whole lot but I can't let him away because it'll just keep piling up.

Where do I go from here?

Just keep asking, and be more stern about when bills are paid for in future. ie. If money is due on the 1st of each month (or the 1st working day of each month) tell them it needs to be in your hand on that day. ATM, bank transfer, revolut transfer. There's lots of options if someone wants to pay someone, and only excuses if they don't.

It might be a small amount to be asking for, but it's also a small amount to pay. Ignoring bills when they're not in your name is just lousy, and sets a bad precedent for when there's a proper bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Clickbait wrote:
    Where do I go from here?

Whats the bill? Internet?. Cancel and let someone else worry about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Whats the bill? Internet?. Cancel and let someone else worry about it.

It's the bins. I was thinking of cancelling but it would probably mean it would be lumped onto the other housemate who sorts out the rest of the bills. He has about three or four bills already, and not fair to get another one on top just because one person isn't paying. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt but I've already asked three times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't mess around with €7 every month - it's not that much, ask for 20 to pay the bins for the next 3 months.
    No reason for excuses like "do you have change"
    But don't let it carry on else it will just become a regular thing and probably with all the bills

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Maybe chat with the other housemate who collects bills and just get him to add it on to what he is asking for the other bills and then give it to you, its easier to just have to collect one amount from everyone once a month rather than a bit here and there, can still leave in your name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't mess around with €7 every month - it's not that much, ask for 20 to pay the bins for the next 3 months.
    No reason for excuses like "do you have change"
    But don't let it carry on else it will just become a regular thing and probably with all the bills

This, Id hand over a score no problem but 7 quid is just way more of a hastle than it should really be, but it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Uboat

OP you could take 10 euro and next month ask for 4 euro.
    Contact landlord, he might kick housemate out or take money from his deposit.
    P.S. Hard to believe it is a real story. To have an issue over 7 euro a month in Ireland - it's a madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Uboat wrote: »
    OP you could take 10 euro and next month ask for 4 euro.
    Contact landlord, he might kick housemate out or take money from his deposit.
    P.S. Hard to believe it is a real story. To have an issue over 7 euro a month in Ireland - it's a madness.

Student house I'd imagine.

I have to give my neighbour back 4 quid.Its been wrecking my head for a week. I owed her 9 and gave her two fivers but she doesnt want to give me a quid back, she wants 4 quid in change.
    I even said, sure I dont care about a quid, take a tenner and she was all, I'd not want to be owning anything...blah blah. So 1st world problem annoying.
    Do I ever have 4 quid in change when I see her? inconveniently, no. I dont. Ever. I keep 4 quid in change when I get it to give to her but then it gets spent on something for the kids or whatever.
    Right now it'd be easier to just kill her than return her fcuking 4 fcuking quid. God I hate her and her stupid odd amounts of coinage requirements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I have to give my neighbour back 4 quid.Its been wrecking my head for a week. I owed her 9 and gave her two fivers but she doesnt want to give me a quid back, she wants 4 quid in change.
    I even said, sure I dont care about a quid, take a tenner and she was all, I'd not want to be owning anything...blah blah. So 1st world problem annoying.
    Do I ever have 4 quid in change when I see her? inconveniently, no. I dont. Ever. I keep 4 quid in change when I get it to give to her but then it gets spent on something for the kids or whatever.
    Right now it'd be easier to just kill her than return her fcuking 4 fcuking quid. God I hate her and her stupid odd amounts of coinage requirements.

"Neither a lender nor a borrower be!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Empty the bin in his bed. He will pay the nice bin man to take it the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

You guys slipped up, you should have at least one bill in his name, then he will know all about collecting and dismissing other tenants. You need to get the others together and set out some rules regarding payment.

4ensic15 wrote:
    "Neither a lender nor a borrower be!"

True. But she went to the chipper during the snowstorm and asked it I wanted to get some curry chips. A moment of weakness as it were..

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Sorry to hear OP. Don't take any bs from that person.... It starts with low amounts and it will soon become a royal pita. It sounds like your house mate is making excuses and is probably broke.

Set the rules straight and if he doesn't play ball then it's time to say goodbye.
    When I was house sharing there was one person who was looking after the bills and we were greatful for this. The monies were always on the kitchen table a couple of days before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Set up splitwise, it takes account of everything and then summaries it into one payment between two people if possible. So instead of paying you 7 he will pay the other guy 7 more and it will take 7 off your payment to the other guy. It’s awkward to explain but trust me it’s super handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

GarIT wrote: »
    Set up splitwise, super handy.

Can you explain more?

And what does "super handy" mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 84 ✭✭Clickbait

MSVforever wrote: »
    Sorry to hear OP. Don't take any bs from that person.... It starts with low amounts and it will soon become a royal pita. It sounds like your house mate is making excuses and is probably broke.

It's funny you say that, I have seen betting pages lying around the place. I think he's into gambling. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and ask again and not take any excuse as it's a week late.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

jim salter wrote: »
    Can you explain more?

And what does "super handy" mean?

Not today. It means very easy. Just google it and it will explain itself.

Advertisement