Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child leap card advice

• 03-09-2017 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hello!
    So I am due to start college next week and I plan on getting a leap card due to how much travelling I will be doing. I'm 19 in November so I'm gonna get a child leap card as you're able to get one up until the age of 19, so I may aswell for the next 2 months.
    My journey is to killester college. I'm traveling from Sallins to Connolly(Irish rail) then from Connolly to Killester, (DART) then from killester to Connolly (DART) and then from Connolly to Kylemore (Luas).
    What way does this work, I'm confused about this capping thing on the leap card!
    Child single to Connolly is €4, Return to killester from Connolly is €3.50 and then the Luas is €1 for a single. (Roughly)
    So total is 8.50, child daily cap is 3.50. Does my fare for the day cost 3.50 or does it cost 5 euros? Does the cap deduct from the total cost?
    I'm very confused by this and would appreciate any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Once you hit the daily cap then the rest is free but you still tag on and off. Check out the daily capping for all operators if you are using the Luas as well as the train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you travel Sallins-Connolly-Killester via the Phoenix Park Tunnel, that is only one ticket.
    I'm 19 in November so I'm gonna get a child leap card
    Note that you can't use this beyond your birthday and that you will need to get a student or adult ticket with the appropriate Leap Card.

School child fare will probably apply to you for the moment.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/dart
    Tickets From Sallins and Naas to Killester
    Ticket Price
    Leap Card / Iarnrod Eireann Smart Card €4.69
    Adult Single €5.95
    Adult Day Return €10.80
    Adult 7 Day Rolling Rail €45.30
    Adult 3 Day Rolling Rail €26.50
    Child Single €2.45
    Child Day Return €4.60
    Schoolchild Smart Card Single* €0.77
    Scholar Smart Card Single* €1.88
    These fares are valid from 1st December 2016.

Adult 3 Day is valid from day of purchase plus 2 days

Adult 7 Day is valid from day of purchase plus 6 days

*Schoolchild and Scholar Smart Card fares are subject to time and day restrictions and are only available on smartcards, to apply for a smartcard go to our schoolchild or scholar ticket information section.

https://www.luas.ie/single-and-return-tickets.html
    Adult Single Child Single Leap Adult & Student Off Peak Leap Adult & Student Peak Leap Child Off Peak Leap Child Peak
    1 zone €2.00 €1.00 €1.39 €1.54 €0.80 €0.80
    2 zones €2.40 €1.00 €1.70 €1.85 €0.80 €0.80
    3 zones €2.90 €1.00 €2.13 €2.24 €0.80 €0.80
    4 zones €2.90 €1.20 €2.13 €2.24 €0.96 €0.96
    5-8 zones €3.30 €1.20 €2.35 €2.50 €0.96 €0.96

http://www.dublinbus.ie/Fares-and-Tickets/Child/
    Leap & Cash Fares
    Leap Card fares are best if you travel to and from school by bus. And Cash Fares are suitable if you use the bus occasionally.

Who qualifies for Child Fares?

Age 16 – 18:
    If you are between the ages of 16 and 18 years, you can travel on the bus by using your personalised Child Leap Card when paying for a Child or School Hours fare.

Leap Fare (U19yrs) Cash Fare (U16yrs)
    School Hours (All Stages)* €0.79● €1.00
    Stages 1 – 7 €0.90★ €1.15
    Over 7 stages €1.10● €1.40
    Xpresso €1.20● €1.50
    Route 90 Flat Fare €0.90● €1.15
    City Centre Fare €0.60★ €0.75

*School Hours fare apply up to 19:00hrs Monday to Friday and 13:30hrs on Saturday. Please validate your Leap Card once at the remote validator to avail of the School Hours fare of €0.79 per journey.
    ★ Please pay at the Drivers Ticket Machine.
    ● To avail of the flat fare, simply present your Leap Card to the Reader on the right hand side as you enter the bus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd be surprised if you get one when it'll expire in a couple of months. Be prepared to get the student card. They pay adult fares, but have lower cap thresholds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'd be surprised if you get one when it'll expire in a couple of months.
    OP is entitled to one and the lower child fare make it worth their while.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Victor wrote: »
    OP is entitled to one and the lower child fare make it worth their while.

There is/was a cut off before a persons 19th birthday where they can't obtain a child leap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement