Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverse Possession (Squatters Rights/12 Year Rule)

Options
  • 12-07-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone has any insights into how long a case for adverse possession can take? My solicitor indicated years as there is only a few individuals in the land registry who deal with this for the entire country.

The case is in relation to a property boundary in Dublin.

If anyone has been through the process recently would appreciate any insight.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

From what I understand. Someone needs to use the property for 12 consecutive years without the owner claiming it, asking for rent or using it. If the original person uses it on the last day in 12 years. Then you have to reset the clock again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Fol20 wrote: »
    From what I understand. Someone needs to use the property for 12 consecutive years without the owner claiming it, asking for rent or using it. If the original person uses it on the last day in 12 years. Then you have to reset the clock again.

Thanks for that, my query was more related to how long the process takes once the application is lodged or if it can be accelerated.

Boundary has been in possession for >12 years with a fence in place and the ground used for gardening, parking, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

What you are talking about is not really a case for adverse possession. What you're talking about is along the process of registering title to land on a possessory basis will take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

What you are talking about is not really a case for adverse possession. What you're talking about is along the process of registering title to land on a possessory basis will take.

Can you clarify your 2nd sentence please not sure I am fully getting it. My solicitor referred to the situation as adverse possession. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Can you clarify your 2nd sentence please not sure I am fully getting it. My solicitor referred to the situation as adverse possession. Thanks.

I meant to say how long rather than along.

• Advertisement
Advertisement