Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epsom Derby & Oaks, Sat 04th July

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

The pack never even caught the second which is even more telling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Tom Marquand on the 2nd. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Aidan's phone going mental on ITV,

They were never going to catch that horse.

Great day for the O'Brien's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

aidankkk wrote: »
    For anyone who likes a less risky bet 365 are offering full cash out for the 4 places and the best of the extra place bets looks to be 70/1 6 places . I’ve gone with that .

I left it as is and got the 100s. Be brave or go home! Lol

The Derby time was 0.37s slower than the Oaks.
    The Derby winner would have been about a length behind Love in the Oaks, the closing pack about six lengths behind Love in the Oaks.
    The jocks in the Derby misjudged the pace. The Derby winning jockey didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

The pack never even caught the second which is even more telling.

or the third. First three stayed where they were.

English King was beaten by his draw in stall 1. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Love wins the Arc in October. Hopefully Enable wins handy enough tomorrow to setup an O'Brien v Gosden match at Longchamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Pity I didn't read this thread beforehand.

Serious tipping with Amhrán na bhFiann at 100/1 and plenty sweet on Serpentine.

Also funny to see the the comments on the Navan race the other day. Foreshadowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

I was waiting for Aidan to say Emmet Mac is a world class jockey and it was obvious :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

madmoose wrote: »
    I guess Serpantine will lead here and try and slip the field the way he won from the front the last day but be caught by a couple of stronger finishers.

The first part was right! Didn’t have a penny on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Love wins the Arc in October. Hopefully Enable wins handy enough tomorrow to setup an O'Brien v Gosden match at Longchamp.

Yeah. Should put her away now and come back in September with a view to The Arc on 04/10. Very hard to see her beaten with the 3yo and filly allowances!!

Galileo runners 1,3,6,7,8

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Coolmore might have an eye on the fillies' triple crown with her. Hasn't been done since Oh So Sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

That art power is an absolute weapon. He will win the 6f sprint on champions day.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Does Billeston Brook look big at 11/10 at Chelmsford?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Morleystreet

aidankkk wrote: »
    Amhran Na Bhfiann, was the greenest of the runners in that top-class maiden that had its form franked in the Irish Derby. He travelled well and got worried out of it in the closing stages. 100/1 is madness considering his possible improvement. He doesn’t look the type to be a pacemaker, as he is too inexperienced. I don’t normally put up a price when its only 1 bookie, but 365 are the strongest book out there.

1 Point EW 100/1 4 places Bet365

Well done Aidan and slattsy on that call!

This stuff from Oisín Murphy is great.

https://twitter.com/oismurphy/status/1279479271984070656?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Agreed. Thought he spoke very well about it.
    IMO no one wanted to make the move to close the gap mid race and when Emmet mac went for home the were done by a horse with a lot of stamina

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Pissing and moaning about Jamie Codd a few nights ago and silence here. Just as fcuking rancid that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Oisin is a class act, contrast that with the utterly miserable interview that Ryan Moore gave after winning on Love.

Regarding the Derby, Emmet McNamara's comments were interesting.
    "Aidan O'Brien filled me with a huge amount of confidence, so it's not a complete surprise," he said. "He told me if we got things right he was one horse who actually could win the Derby. I actually did believe him. If he tells you the sky is green, you believe him.

"During the race I thought I was getting quite an easy lead. I never looked behind but all I could hear was the horse breathing. I knew I wasn’t going a million miles an hour, so I was imagining they might be ignoring me. I was hoping the clock in my head was working a little bit because I thought I’d saved enough through the first half of the race."
    It's clear Serpentine needed the strong gallop, and that is exactly the ride that Emmet gave him. As Emmet himself said, he was riding to sectional timing, and I am sure the tactics he used today were rehearsed many times over on the Ballydoyle primary gallop which was specifically designed to mimic Epsom. This is the most important day of the year for Ballydoyle and you can be sure all the bases are covered.

It's a fantastic training performance from Aidan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

The race went very much like Sovereign's Irish Derby win last year, although Serpentine was unexposed so we're in the dark as to how talented he is.

There were 2 races in the one race today. Take the frontrunners out and concentrate on the fancied horses who finished on the heels of the 3rd placed frontrunner, then we have something very close to last year's pretty moderate Derby. A bunch finish of the fancied horses with the talented Kameko winning by a nose from a group of 110-112 rated horses headed by the Camelot colt English King who is probably flattered by his proximity to Kameko. While Kameko did stay the 12f, he was inconvenienced by it and that allowed English King to close on him at the line.

To my eye Mogul who was 1L behind Kameko was the most promising of this bunch, he was given a very calm clear race. Basically like his brother Japan he is getting fitter with his racing and he looked anything but the finished article today. He is being given every chance to blossom later on. He may follow his brother's route of going for the G1 Grand Prix De Paris and then on to the Juddmonte.

Not far behind Mogul were the two other fancied O'Brien horses, Russian Emperor and Vatican City. There is no real reference point to figure where these two go from here. Both stayed on well and were only 2 1/4L behind Kameko. Whether they'd prefer shorter or not isn't too clear. Neither looked to be busting a gut in the finish so it would be no surprise if one of them improved significantly from today's race.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Agreed. Thought he spoke very well about it.
    IMO no one wanted to make the move to close the gap mid race and when Emmet mac went for home the were done by a horse with a lot of stamina

Yep I backed Kameko and was quite happy with the ride he got. It went exactly how I expected apart from the winner slipping them and he just didn't stay as he said. Couldn't fault the ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

The Mig wrote: »
    Pissing and moaning about Jamie Codd a few nights ago and silence here. Just as fcuking rancid that

Or neither were 'rancid'

English King to one to take out of the race, if Marquand was riding him people would be slating the ride. He finished full of running under hands and heels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

It will be interesting to see how the horses from this race perform next. It certainly looks like form to treat with a lot of caution.
    Also the next logical race for the winner is already run this year. He doesn’t strike me as an Arc type. I’d say they’ll be looking at the St Leger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Slattsy wrote: »
    English King to one to take out of the race, if Marquand was riding him people would be slating the ride. He finished full of running under hands and heels.

Looked slow to be and if Kameko didn't stay English King couldnt get past him having been a length down with a furlong to run.

The question is would Love have won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,774 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Morgans wrote: »
    Looked slow to be and if Kameko didn't stay English King couldnt get past him having been a length down with a furlong to run.

The question is would Love have won.
    Love would have won, especially when you consider the 3lb fillies allowance she would have got. Serpentine was flat to the boards to get up. Love ran quicker and may even have had a little extra left in the tank based on the way she finished. This was all before you even consider the allowance.

She clearly looks the best three year old out there and when you consider she will get a fillies and three year old allowance, she absolutely should be running in the Arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Love would have won, especially when you consider the 3lb fillies allowance she would have got. Serpentine was flat to the boards to get up. Love ran quicker and may even have had a little extra left in the tank based on the way she finished. This was all before you even consider the allowance.

She clearly looks the best three year old out there and when you consider she will get a fillies and three year old allowance, she absolutely should be running in the Arc.
    Flat to the board yet still won by 5 and a half lengths.

It really is too early to say how good Serpentine is but I can't stand the kind of spoof talk you see every time an upset is pulled off about how this and that would of won had they run. Some people really do sound just as bitter as the commentators on ITV were yesterday.

All credit to the horse that actually won and the jockey that got his tactics spot on. Hopefully the ceiling is sky high for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Did anyone else get the feeling that the horses in behind were just not very good and/or didn't stay?

Not saying the jockeys did a great job but you'd expect a good horse to at least get very close to the leader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

BoldReason wrote: »
    He won the race last year. :)

Was a good effort from him yesterday wasn't it. Didn't half set it up for love in the oaks did he :)

akelly02 wrote: »
    Was a good effort from him yesterday wasn't it. Didn't half set it up for love in the oaks did he :)

Easy there Kelly. I don't really rate Heffernan myself. Was just commenting on what you said that he might win a Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Enable has a fair bit of weight put on

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Enable has a fair bit of weight put on

A lot of us in the same boat Andrew, we were all guilty of over indulging during lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

That was a great win that proves Ghayyaith is the real deal and he looked comfortable in the end. Wouldn't touch him for the Arc.

Don't think many can crab Ghaiyyath much anymore. That was a proper proper performance.

BoldReason wrote: »
    Easy there Kelly. I don't really rate Heffernan myself. Was just commenting on what you said that he might win a Derby.

Maybe I didn't word it right , I meant he might try in a race like the derby compared to the likes of dundalk , bellewstown etc .

Did Heffernan stop riding on Peaceful??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 11117

Flat to the board yet still won by 5 and a half lengths.

It really is too early to say how good Serpentine is but I can't stand the kind of spoof talk you see every time an upset is pulled off about how this and that would of won had they run. Some people really do sound just as bitter as the commentators on ITV were yesterday.

All credit to the horse that actually won and the jockey that got his tactics spot on. Hopefully the ceiling is sky high for him.

This exactly.

There’s no point judging the horse until he races again. He may or may not be a world beater, let’s just wait and see after his next run. He blew away the competition on the day and did what was asked of him.

I wonder if he wasn’t a Ballydoyle horse would the reactions be the same? Would there be praise all around for the tactics and jockey??

Slattsy wrote: »
    Did Heffernan stop riding on Peaceful??

Not that I seen .

His ride on ennistymon was clearly to tow love to the 2f marker.

Heffernan made a mid race move from last to 3rd when he realised the 2 pacemakers had gone off way too fast , and ended up hitting the front for a bit before being brushed aside by love.

• Advertisement

akelly02 wrote: »
    Not that I seen .

His ride on ennistymon was clearly to tow love to the 2f marker.

Heffernan made a mid race move from last to 3rd when he realised the 2 pacemakers had gone off way too fast , and ended up hitting the front for a bit before being brushed aside by love.

In fairness it was all a matter love is just a beeter horse than Ennistymon.

Thought it was a poor enough ride on Peaceful myself and the ride on Alpine Star was absolutely chronic. She has taken a lead on every run and Pasquier decided to set a pretty good pace on a horse trying 10f for the first time after showing loads of speed on her last run. Bonkers.

Heffernan also picked up a 22day ban for his ride on Order of Australia. Using the whip 11 times in the straight. He will be quartinijg for 14 of those anyway i guess.

The Racing Post Weekender has a one letter Running Style in front of each horse:
    L = Leads; P = Prominent; M = Midfield; H = Held Up

The English Derby field

L: (2) Khalifa Sat; Serpentine
    P: (3) Amhran Na Bhfiann; Emissary; Gold Maze
    M: (1) Kameko;
    H: (10) English King; Highland Chief; Max Vega; Mogul; Mohican Heights; Mythical; Plyedriver; Russian Emperor; Vatican City; Worthily

That is a lot of hold up horses, and almost no midfield horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

11117 wrote: »
    This exactly.

There’s no point judging the horse until he races again. He may or may not be a world beater, let’s just wait and see after his next run. He blew away the competition on the day and did what was asked of him.

I wonder if he wasn’t a Ballydoyle horse would the reactions be the same? Would there be praise all around for the tactics and jockey??

Ah they’d be singing . ITV main presenter would be choking with tears blathering out some superlative and Cumani playing captain hindsight (nice to look at but is becoming a bit of a spoofer , love looking at the reaction of Jason Weaver n Johnny Murtagh towards her when they are on )

The English are sickening , be it flat or jumps , and especially if the trainer is chums with their media . Sure they couldn’t shut up whinging at last years Arc when Enable went down fighting in a gallant defence of her title , the better horse had won but ......

Great thing is , one day Aidan will obliterate the Royal Wscot record set by Stoute and Cecil

Any decent Dante or Lingfield winner the English based mob score they start to lose their minds (especially if Aidan had a few in the race )

The other social media comment sections aren’t too kind to the result either. Usual whinging

Advertisement