Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epsom Derby & Oaks, Sat 04th July

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

I guess Serpantine will lead here and try and slip the field the way he won from the front the last day but be caught by a couple of stronger finishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Going with Vatican city in the Derby. Also fancy Frankly darling to beat Love in the Oaks. Great days racing to look forward to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

Going for the Seamie Heff each way double, 59/1 yesterday, hopefully get the place part up anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

3:40 Oaks

Passion ran well last time after only 6 days break and i wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lot closer here of a more normal break. 40/1 looks value. Love looks a top class horse but it possible the 1000 was a poor renewal.

1 Point EW 40/1 sky BetVC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

When I'm looking through a tricky jumps race in England, my default position is:If in doubt, Paul Nicholls!
    He'll always get them trained to the minute for the big races and you'll get bang for your buck. I think the same applies for John Gosden on the flat. I think he's the best trainer in the world at the moment and I reckon Worthily is a shot to nothing at 40/1 each way, despite limited experience and Dettori not on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

aidankkk wrote: »
    3:40 Oaks

Passion ran well last time after only 6 days break and i wouldn't be surprised if she gets a lot closer here of a more normal break. 40/1 looks value. Love looks a top class horse but it possible the 1000 was a poor renewal.

1 Point EW 40/1 sky BetVC

I'm with you here also. We're both ****ed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Ennistymon and Vatican City for the double, both to come fast and late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

What is wrong with Pyledriver that he is 18/1 and drifting? He won lto fair and square. And that was no fluke if you look back to his first run back from the break, 1.5l behind Berlin Tango closing all the time over 10f. That translates well compared to Russian emporers 1.5l win over the same horse.

I don’t look much at pedigree but is there something wrong with his? He looks to have some of the best form in the race and looks proven to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I think Coolmore/Ballydoyle have extra incentive to win today.
    They are all about winning the English Derby and promoting the winner as a stallion.
    They have five runners sired by Galileo.

I may be wrong but I think three stallions in Derby history have sired four English Derby winners:
    Blandford (b 1919) sired Trigo (b 1926); Blenheim (b 1927); Windsor Lad (b 1931); Bahram (b 1932).
    Montjeu (b 1996) sired Motivator (b 2002); Authorized (b 2004); Pour Moi (b 2008); Camelot (b 2009).
    Galileo (b 1998) sired New Approach (b 2005); Ruler Of The World (b 2010); Australia (b 2011); Anthony Van Dyck (b 2016).

Galileo is 22 years old and can not have too many years left at stud.

Afaik another record is no Epsom Derby winner has sired an Epsom Derby winner that sired an Epsom Derby winner.
    Galileo sired Camelot - who has English King and Mythical running today.
    Galileo sired Australia - who has Mohican heights running today.

Based on the "stats" :rolleyes: a win by any of eight runners by Galileo (5); Camelot (2); Australia (1) will create a new Derby record.

• Advertisement

FatRat wrote: »
    What is wrong with Pyledriver that he is 18/1 and drifting? He won lto fair and square. And that was no fluke if you look back to his first run back from the break, 1.5l behind Berlin Tango closing all the time over 10f. That translates well compared to Russian emporers 1.5l win over the same horse.

I don’t look much at pedigree but is there something wrong with his? He looks to have some of the best form in the race and looks proven to stay.

He had a huge fitness advantage lto so I'd say that has a lot to do with it. O'briens improve a stone from first run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Slattsy wrote: »
    He had a huge fitness advantage lto so I'd say that has a lot to do with it. O'briens improve a stone from first run.

I’d be staying away from the Russian Emporer in that case, given his last race was his 2nd run and likely up near his best form. Just looking now, I hadn’t realised Arthur’s Kingdom (2nd to pyledriver) ran so poorly subsequently in the Irish Derby. I think this might be a more obvious derby than we are suggesting and English King will be the winner.

Definitely interesting to see Kameko being backed but now at 4/1, that really is just gambling on his talents at 12f with no obvious proof. Too short of a price for that carry on for me.

The Derby is the 6th race. Will the ground be churned up on the inner by then?
    In previous years they moved out the rail on Friday to keep fresh ground for the Derby, and ran the Dash before the Derby and that kept horses away from the inner rail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Mogul and Max Vega both rated 110. The former at 15/2 and the latter at 40/1.
    Either the handicapper or the bookies have got it wrong big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Singles on Pyledriver and Frankly Darling. Plus done a Frankly Darling/Ennistymon straight f/c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I'm with you here also. We're both ****ed.

I’m doubly f****d as I went fir a bit extra in the W/o the 2 favs at 7/1 on 365. Seems value when ennistymon is 4/6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Have gone for Ennistymon in the Oaks and Vatican City in the Derby. Both each-way.

I did a Tote Trifecta on the Derby for a couple of Euro.
    You can do Tote bets through Betfair.

Emissary & Worthily e/w for me.

Kameko a poor fav

Ground on soft side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Kameko is the fastest horse in the race but not sure he stays. I went with Russian Emperor - liked his ascot run only getting going late on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Ground on soft side.

Safe Voyage broke the course record in winning the 14.25!!

Supposedly a record time for that 7f race just gone Epsom: 1m 19.88s. Also John Quinn's 1,000th winner as a trainer.
    Previous best time 1m 20.10 from 1972 I think. Stiff breeze must help. Ground good at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Corazon Espinado aims to repeat last years win in the 5.35 Epsom off 3lb higher. Handles the ground no problem with any rain falling 9/1 4 Places about hopefully he can repeat the feat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

Unsurprisingly Kameko gone favorite.

That was Savage.

WOW!! That was impressive by Love

Jesus. State of the pacemakers.

Fair play to anyone who took them cramped odds - demolition job that!

Aidan O'Brien must be under a gagging order. Wouldn't give Cumani his pick of the six for the Derby :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

A lesson in how not to do pacemaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Make no mistake, that was a cracking race despite the opposition being nothing special. The time was very quick, reminiscent of Enable. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see this make an attempt at the Arc.

I fear for my bet on Mohican Heights after seeing the Oaks.
    Mogul looks like he could be the Aidan O'Brien chosen one.

Mogul now out to 8s. If you fancy it you'd like to see him stronger in betting than that.

A lesson in how not to do pacemaking.
    Perhaps, but Ballydoyle got the result they wanted, 1st and 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Perhaps, but Ballydoyle got the result they wanted, 1st and 2nd.

They'd still have got the result they wanted if the pacemakers stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 11117

I fear for my bet on Mohican Heights after seeing the Oaks.
    Mogul looks like he could be the Aidan O'Brien chosen one.

Paul Smith only mentioned Mogul and Vatican City after the Oaks when interviewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,437 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Pyledriver for me

Well that was a joke, give him a mile head start why don't you .

Jaysus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Don't know what to make of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Must be one of the strangest derbies ever ran. Finished in a bunch bar the winner and all huge odds the front three

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Some day for Emmet McNamara. Good for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

tryfix wrote: »
    It's getting harder to figure out the Derby by the day. English King is too short for what he has achieved. The stable confidence is very reassuring but he's not a betting prospect.

Kameko has an X Factor and an X-Factor jockey. Although he's bred to be a 10f horse rather than a 12f one he's not exactly facing a stellar field. He's backable.

Mogul is basically the same horse as his full brother Japan with less speed. Like Japan he is being brought along steadily so he's more likely to place in the Derby than win it.

Russian Emperor is an unknown quantity, the booking of Seamie is a big plus for his chances. I'd rate his win chance above that of Mogul.

Vatican City's fast finishing 2nd in the Irish 2,000 Guineas has shown that he has the speed and class to compete at this level. There are questions about his stamina, but he has a solid Dosage Index of 0.73 and there's an endless list of Galileos out of speedy dams who stayed 12f at Epsom.

Vatican City is my Derby bet. Granted that P Beggy is an unusual booking for him but Padraig has proven that he has what it takes to win these big races.

I'll also have a bet on Serpentine. He was being lined up for this race before he won his maiden by 9L, so their faith in him beforehand and his group performing full siblings make him one that I don't want to ignore.

Woohoo..... 🤑

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

aidankkk wrote: »
    Amhran Na Bhfiann, was the greenest of the runners in that top-class maiden that had its form franked in the Irish Derby. He travelled well and got worried out of it in the closing stages. 100/1 is madness considering his possible improvement. He doesn’t look the type to be a pacemaker, as he is too inexperienced. I don’t normally put up a price when its only 1 bookie, but 365 are the strongest book out there.

1 Point EW 100/1 4 places Bet365

Lovely stuff.

He went for home 5f out, rest just watched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Well done Aidan again and thank you.

Whatever about the rest of them it was a great ride by Emmet MC. Fair play. Nice to see it.

First three: 25/1; 50/1; 66/1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The lads on ITV are fuming. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

First three: 25/1; 50/1; 66/1.

Tricast pays 56,000.....ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
Advertisement