Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Best Dog Treats For A Walk

• 28-06-2020 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

My particular dog breed has a hard time keeping focus outdoors on a walk. The treats I use are coachies and while they are fine for in the house and backyard they're quite bland for the walks. They literally will not turn my dog. Although chicken does a better job it's still not great. I tried hot dogs and that was worse than the chicken. Any recommendations for something really enticing to get her focus on me during walks?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

My particular dog breed has a hard time keeping focus outdoors on a walk. The treats I use are coachies and while they are fine for in the house and backyard they're quite bland for the walks. They literally will not turn my dog. Although chicken does a better job it's still not great. I tried hot dogs and that was worse than the chicken. Any recommendations for something really enticing to get her focus on me during walks?

Thank you.

When training our springer who isn’t really food orientated while out waking and on recall we used .. frankfurters.. now I know they aren’t great but most dogs adore them.. boil them, cut them up into tic / tac size bits .. don’t feed ur dog directly before walking- worked wonders for us!

They are cheap too .. only needed during training phase

We did this for 2/3 months worked amazingly and our guy loved them - we no longer need them at all now.

Oops just saw ur post your e tried hot dogs And they didn’t work..

Don’t feed ur dog close walking times / make sure they are hungry ..

Try cheese?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Dried liver works a treat. If you can’t get it then try cooking your own and cutting it into treat sized bites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I use Bounce and Bella poultry treats. They smell a bit like Bovril and my dog loves them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I have used the polish sausage from Aldi ot lidl, the thin one that's kind of hard and chewy, there's a beef one, air dried, it's human food not in the pet section. It breaks nicely and is very smelly and mine go mad for it.
    Mine also love chorizo, but that's even more smelly, every dog I meet loves me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maybe treats aren't high value enough in this situation? Is the dog into squeaky toys at all? If so you could have a special squeaky toy that you only use on walks... or even just carry the squeaker in your pocket and when you get the dogs attention with it then you treat and praise. I tend to mix up what I have with me - atm Bailey is loving chicken stomachs so he gets at least one with his other treats to keep him interested. Lidl actually have them (it says chicken chips on the bag) as well as dried meat training treats which might be worth a try. The Alpha Sprit ones are smelly enough too - Pet Stop sell them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement