Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric induction hob for camper conversion

Options
  • 27-06-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Has anyone fitted one of these in a conversion? It would save having to get a gas cert etc? Ideal for powered campsites, save space with no gas tank, less fire risk. Downside is its useless for remote camping unless you have a generator.
    Interested to hear if anyone has one fitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

nophd08 wrote: »
    Has anyone fitted one of these in a conversion? It would save having to get a gas cert etc? Ideal for powered campsites, save space with no gas tank, less fire risk. Downside is its useless for remote camping unless you have a generator.
    Interested to hear if anyone has one fitted.

We carry a portable one for the odd time we are on hookup. Its nice being able to set it to simmer and forget about it, my friend had a domino commercial one fitted to his van cost around £80 in the uk but all its ever done is make coffee.

Yurp.
    Downside is its useless for remote camping unless you have a generator.

> 400Ah battery, a genuine 1.5kVA sine inverter and ~600W solar is all you need....not including the 40A solar controller, switchgear, cabling and putting it all together.

Campites....€25 for €0.16 of lecky....:rolleyes:
    Generators...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

By the way you have to have gas hobs to register as a camper because this country is antiquated.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

By the way you have to have gas hobs to register as a camper because this country is antiquated.

Really? This is nuts. I presumed it was just a means of cooking, gas or electricity? Maybe now with Ryan as minister for transport gas will be outlawed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Really? This is nuts. I presumed it was just a means of cooking, gas or electricity? Maybe now with Ryan as minister for transport gas will be outlawed...

Ha ha, bring on the pedal-powered fridge! I can't wait!

• Advertisement

A lecky fridge is 10X more efficient than gas and a hellova lot more reliable. You can power it from an alternator geared off the rear wheel of a bicycle if you'd like but 100W of solar will do the job if you insulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

.....You can power it from an alternator geared off the rear wheel of a bicycle .....

Is this really so? I'd LOVE to know more - can you possibly quote a link or citation? I'd love to explore these kinds of options, being a very minimalist sort of survival-type hippie.

I was half-joking about pedal-powered fridge but could it be a realistic possibility ?? !!

Advertisement