Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeping cats out of gardens

Options
  • 23-06-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for some reasonable suggestions to keep neighbours 2 cats out of my front and back gardens.
    The 2 cats (I've caught them) had been fouling/pooing in my side passage. I tried cayenne pepper, stay away spray, eventually found that spiked pieces of wood did the trick but they look unsightly and this to me is only a temporary solution. I put decorative bark down in my front garden - guess what after about 2 days I catch one of the cats did a massive poo which I had to clean up. I called down to the owners to say I was really getting browned off with this. I've cleaned up almost an entire freezer bag of their cats poo. I have young kids too and it's a risk if they were to handle this. To top it all off tonight I just caught one of them in my back garden peeing up against a new bbq cover I have just recently bought which was expensive. Enough is enough. How did I rid these cats from my garden?

My next door neighbour tells me also the had been fouling on his new garden furniture and broke a decorative piece in his garden.

I don't want putting down netting/spikes. I've just re-done the front and back garden and don't want anything unsightly. I read those sonar things just don't work.

Would really appreciate any good suggestions.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have a large water gun that I fire in the general direction of any cats I see in the garden. They vanish pretty quickly when I do that, and if I did actually hit them at least a drop of water won't hurt them. As much as I hate them in the garden, I wouldn't be putting down spikes or anything else that could actually cause physical harm to them. It won't stop them coming into the garden when I'm not around to see them, but I'm hoping that it will modify their behaviour enough to keep away just in case they might be sprayed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking for some reasonable suggestions to keep neighbours 2 cats out of my front and back gardens.
    The 2 cats (I've caught them) had been fouling/pooing in my side passage. I tried cayenne pepper, stay away spray, eventually found that spiked pieces of wood did the trick but they look unsightly and this to me is only a temporary solution. I put decorative bark down in my front garden - guess what after about 2 days I catch one of the cats did a massive poo which I had to clean up. I called down to the owners to say I was really getting browned off with this. I've cleaned up almost an entire freezer bag of their cats poo. I have young kids too and it's a risk if they were to handle this. To top it all off tonight I just caught one of them in my back garden peeing up against a new bbq cover I have just recently bought which was expensive. Enough is enough. How did I rid these cats from my garden?

My next door neighbour tells me also the had been fouling on his new garden furniture and broke a decorative piece in his garden.

I don't want putting down netting/spikes. I've just re-done the front and back garden and don't want anything unsightly. I read those sonar things just don't work.

Would really appreciate any good suggestions.

Thank You

Keep a loaded fully pumped super soaker close by. Might take a few weeks but a couple of moderately high pressure hits will make them think twice

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

No cats pooing in our garden since I got two of these. Also no more surprises when gardening and no more dug up flowerbed or no bins sprayed with wee. There’s solar/rechargeable options but I went for the battery ones out of laziness and the batteries lasted 4-5 months.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00FXSU2WK?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

There are also sensor operated water sprayers that you attach to a garden hose. I bought one of these a few years ago for a specific purpose with my own cat and it was very effective. I unfortunately left it out in frost though and it bit the dust but I actually saw them only a few days ago in Mr. Price. Not that practical I suppose if you have a few areas to cover but at least it means it catches them with a spray rather than having to do it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

You can research some plants that cats dislike and plant those in your garden? My neighbour had a problem with a stealth pooper and he's planted some lavender plants which seem to have deterred the cat.
    https://upgardener.co.uk/cat-deterrent-plants/

Obviously don't plant anything that's poisonous to cats/humans but I think a lavender plant would be worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

Zaph wrote: »
    I have a large water gun that I fire in the general direction of any cats I see in the garden. They vanish pretty quickly when I do that, and if I did actually hit them at least a drop of water won't hurt them. As much as I hate them in the garden, I wouldn't be putting down spikes or anything else that could actually cause physical harm to them. It won't stop them coming into the garden when I'm not around to see them, but I'm hoping that it will modify their behaviour enough to keep away just in case they might be sprayed.

I agree as well, its better than spikes, thats for sure. After a while, the cat will understand and won't go to the garden anymore. It worked with my cats!

Advertisement