Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spark vs mavic air beginner

• 08-05-2020 10:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hi i was thinking of getting my first drone. There is quite a few advertised locally with the mavic air approx 200_250 euro dearer depending on package. I don't want to buy spark and maybe be sorry and have to try sell it to get the air in few months.. Seems to some people saying that the range on the spark with controller is only about 100 meters. Any suggestions welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Have you looked at the Mavic Mini, it might be a better option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭huntsman77

I actually looked at that after I put up the post and looked at the forum on it does seem to tick a lot of box's. Seems to have better range and camera then the spark

huntsman77 wrote: »
    I actually looked at that after I put up the post and looked at the forum on it does seem to tick a lot of box's. Seems to have better range and camera then the spark

It does and it's over 2.5 years newer.

Given it's your first drone, I'd ignore any reviews saying it doesn't have 'feature x' compared to the Spark as you don't end up using lots of the features anyway - you just want it to stay in the air for a long time and take good pics and video :)

Yea that's all exactly do you know what range to expect from the mini advertised for 4km seems mad would you get 1km in Ireland

Going on the specs page, there are two frequencies you can transmit at...

2.4GHz - 2km
    5.8Ghz - 500m

So, where possible, choose 2.4GHz :)

• Advertisement

That's great thanks very much for your help. more I think about it be ideal to see how much use I get out of it could always upgrade in 12 months if I wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

I'd go for Air, Mini is an overpriced toy with loads of issues. The only advantage is slightly longer flight time with half of functionality of Air.
    Also, Mini haven't got any obstruction avoidance sensors so if you're new to drones, pick Air and you wont regret it.
    Forgot to add, Mini doesn't like wind so choice should be obvious - Air :)

Thanks staff yea there couple of airs on adverts for 650ish maybe get for 6 hundred which seems alright value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

Id avoid the Spark in Ireland - too much wifi and wind.

Definitely recommend the Air or Pro - Mavic Air 2 is just out now this week of course, so either look for a bargain Air on sale or buy Air 2.

Usually you would be looking for the full kit with the 3 batteries - but the MA 2 flys for so long - one battery might be ok for a starter?

“Roll it back”

This thing kinda snowballed for me lol started looking at spark 400e then mini for 500e then air and set budget of 600e for myself nothing really local only spark and phantom 3&4 and awkward with travel restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

This thing kinda snowballed for me lol started looking at spark 400e then mini for 500e then air and set budget of 600e for myself nothing really local only spark and phantom 3&4 and awkward with travel restrictions

It really depends on what you want to use it for, photography, video or just the buzz from flying around.

I was like you last year, was about to pull the trigger on a spark and then the AIR but in the end i bought a GPS drone for 130e and in the interim period i ended up buying a much better drone (Xiaomi Fimi x8SE ) for about 360e and sold the 130e one for the same amount i paid for it on donedeal.

I wanted to take good photos (or at least i wanted to take pics on par with what i saw online) and maybe shoot some video (again on par with what i saw online).
    The reality with the drone i bought, the photos are video are very good, 4k etc but its what you edit them with and how you set them up.

The DJI brands are very good at what they do, and i would get one but there are other brands out there for less amounts of money. The thing is you might not end up flying it as often as you think due to the weather.

I would go with portability and ease of use, that way you will take it with you to places and not worry too much about setting up etc. take it out and have it fly within a minute, otherwise the drones they tend to attract the world and their mother when you have them up in the air or taking off.

Yea portability is paramount really. it's really for bit of fun and to try something new not big in to photography but live in countryside and some places I think would look really cool with drone footage. Iv only really looked at dji as you say other brands out there worth looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

phantom 3&4 and awkward with travel restrictions

Phantom 4 is still an awesome drone - no focus hassle (fixed focus), great photos and 4K video and rock solid signal - especially if you can get one with extra batteries - the prices tend to be still a little high for them.

Also easy to take anywhere in a car or backpack - not something you would bring on holiday with you (when we have those again).

Id skip the Phantom 3 at this stage though.

“Roll it back”

Yea phantom 4 is pretty much mavic air money 2nd hand and air probably hold its money better. Phantom 3 advanced in around 400 prob do all u wanted to do but just bearing in mind batterys it comes with 3 or 4 year old and resale value not great if I didn't use it much.

Thanks staff yea there couple of airs on adverts for 650ish maybe get for 6 hundred which seems alright value

got Air combo still under warranty and dji care refresh for sale :) if so, give me a buzz

got Air combo still under warranty and dji care refresh for sale :) if so, give me a buzz

Lovely set up I'm sure we'll looked after ot of my budget best of luck with it

Lovely set up I'm sure we'll looked after ot of my budget best of luck with it

isnt as expensive as you think considering all extras, still roughly 500 loss :)

isnt as expensive as you think considering all extras, still roughly 500 loss :)

Ah yea know all them extras do be expensive great set up. Il stick to my 600 be divorced otherwiseðŸ˜

Ah yea know all them extras do be expensive great set up. Il stick to my 600 be divorced otherwiseðŸ˜

LOL
    my wifey is still convinced that I've paid 300 for flymore combo and I've heard alot from her for spending '300' for a toy anyways :D:D

Hi guys just to get back to ye on this. I ended up goin with the mavic mini as my first drone. I'm seriously impressed with it for its size I know its my first drone so not comparing it to anything else but lot more than I expected. Seeing as its dji starter drone the the next models up must be very impressive.

• Advertisement

Glad you're getting on well with your new drone!

Remember to check https://www.uavforecast.com/ (they have a free app as well) before flying and be cautious with distance + height until you get used to things.

Yea downloaded that app alright seems good fairly accurate aswell. Range seems different on different days some days better than others even in exact same place.

Hi guys just to get back to ye on this. I ended up goin with the mavic mini as my first drone. I'm seriously impressed with it for its size I know its my first drone so not comparing it to anything else but lot more than I expected. Seeing as its dji starter drone the the next models up must be very impressive.

did you get Care Refresh as well?

No just got the standard pack one battery no care refresh

No just got the standard pack one battery no care refresh

Care Refresh always need to be purchased as separate within 24hours off drone activation and its insurance-like, you'll get replacement even drone crash was caused by you

Yea was offered it alright think 40 euro or something said il see within the 24h and sure never did then.

Yea was offered it alright think 40 euro or something said il see within the 24h and sure never did then.

personally I wouldnt fly without it :)

Yea i know what ya mean there lot of money to be flying through the air. If I was upgrading I would. Be getting in to bigger money and all.

Advertisement