Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU Racing guidelines Covid19

Options
  • 07-05-2020 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

What do people thing of the ITU race guidelines for a socially distancing world? Among other points for AG races:
    -Online race brief
    -Rolling starts
    -Shower at swim exit
    -no changing tents (and no nudity!:D)
    -2m distance bike racking (alternating racking permitted)
    -run should avoid doglegs and short laps
    -avoid running under 4m behind another runner
    -no expo, no pasta party

...and the usual 2m social distance/gloves/etc for volunteers. Ok this document is aimed at ITU races, but it seems to provide decent guidelines to allow smaller tris in Ireland go ahead soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

2m racking will be a limiting factor for entries I believe but probably necessary. It will also feel like a luxury given it’s normally like sardines in most cases

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Could change Irish racing alot - a 2 metre gap on the bike leg would be a game changer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Showers at swim exit are always welcome when getting out of salt water but not sure what they would achieve in terms of Covid concerns? Interesting to see how this all pans out and any initiatives are welcome obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

EC1000 wrote: »
    Showers at swim exit are always welcome when getting out of salt water but not sure what they would achieve in terms of Covid concerns? Interesting to see how this all pans out and any initiatives are welcome obviously.

Likely it would achieve a bunching up ... exactly what we dont want .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

What do people thing of the ITU race guidelines for a socially distancing world? Among other points for AG races:
    -Online race brief
    -Rolling starts
    -Shower at swim exit
    -no expo, no pasta party

...and the usual 2m social distance/gloves/etc for volunteers. Ok this document is aimed at ITU races, but it seems to provide decent guidelines to allow smaller tris in Ireland go ahead soon.

It's good that this stuff is Considert , my problem is whenever I read it I first think how drafting in tri rules work out
    and then how my local Tesco fixed their plexiglass at a total useless place stuff wearing no masks and when I pick up groceries I have to be wirh in 1 ,eternal of the cashier ...
    so their mission statement obviously must have passed the guidlines, but I think most people would agree that this likely is a transition Hotspot espcially if you say thanks without a mask words increase transmition
    At aldi you at least believe they are trying.
    Mission statements are great execution matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

-Online race brief
    -Rolling starts
    -Shower at swim exit
    -no expo, no pasta party

My thoughts

-Online race brief = easy*
    -Rolling starts = relatively easy for bigger events, but would cause problems for smaller club events which are limited in terms of time and space
    -Shower at swim exit = as said above, likely to cause more issues than it solves due to crowding. Also, unlikely to be feasible for many smaller events
    -no changing tents (and no nudity!:D) = inconvenient, but could be done
    -2m distance bike racking (alternating racking permitted) = lovely, bring it on :)
    -run should avoid doglegs and short laps = should be easy enough
    -avoid running under 4m behind another runner = should be easy enough
    -no expo, no pasta party = easy*

*i might be an outlier here, but one of the main draws of triathlons for me is the social aspect. From the standing around beforehand listening to the brief and crapping yourself about how you’ll perform, to the chatting about the race while feeding on pasta afterwards, the camaraderie is perhaps the best aspect IMO. Take that away, and the sport looses a lot of the appeal for me. Of course, the hope would be that these measures are only temporary though.

Advertisement