Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiwall Polycarbonate Roofing - Thickness

Options
  • 08-04-2019 4:40pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick query on Multiwall Polycarbonate sheets for doing a garden area lean to, about 5m x 4m on a wooden frame. It comes in thicknesses of 4, 6, 10, 16, and 25mm. The suppliers suggest 4 & 6mm for greenhouse type applications, and 10mm+ for carport roofs and the like.

Assuming they are secured correctly as recommended (bars on the joints, fixing buttons on cross members and intermediate rafters, etc.), will be carrying no weight/load , why would it not be recommended to use 4 or 6mm for a lean to roof? They're a good bit cheaper, etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Too thin, weak and flexible.

I've only got experience of 10mm, and that still has a decent amount of flex it it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wind will tear thin sheets off a roof easily due to pressure differentials, hard to imagine but it is very destructive.
    There is a reason that the heavier wall stuff is specced for different applications, and that is strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have single wall corrugated poly on a small roofed deck.
    It’s taken massive winds as we live in a very exposed area. It’s 8 years up now and lost maybe 20% of its opacity.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

_Brian wrote: »
    It’s taken massive winds as we live in a very exposed area. It’s 8 years up now and lost maybe 20% of its opacity.

Interesting, what thickness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

_Brian wrote: »

I had corrugated poly on a car port and there is now about 20% of it left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I went with 25mm but my run is over 5m and very exposed

spockety wrote: »
    Interesting, what thickness?

I don’t know, it was installed when the deck was built by a contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I always assumed it would stain/go green over time... Does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

mloc123 wrote: »

I was looking into replacing glass panels on a greenhouse with multiwall polycarbonate. I was told that each panel needs to be sealed and taped to prevent water / insects / moss etc getting in.

Any natural staining on the surfaces can be washed off.

mloc123 wrote: »

It does a bit.
    Only glass will stay 100% clear.

After 8 years ours is about 80% clear.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Quick query on Multiwall Polycarbonate sheets for doing a garden area lean to, about 5m x 4m on a wooden frame. It comes in thicknesses of 4, 6, 10, 16, and 25mm. The suppliers suggest 4 & 6mm for greenhouse type applications, and 10mm+ for carport roofs and the like.

Assuming they are secured correctly as recommended (bars on the joints, fixing buttons on cross members and intermediate rafters, etc.), will be carrying no weight/load , why would it not be recommended to use 4 or 6mm for a lean to roof? They're a good bit cheaper, etc.

Your roif will have a load on it. Never forget the weight of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Did you use this ? How did you get on ? Can you cut it? Is fixing to batons handy enough thks
    Thinking of covering over side entrance with it / thanks

Advertisement