Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Floor sinking Remedial work

• 15-12-2017 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Any advise appreciated:

I bought a new build about 18 months ago, and we've discovered an issue where the floors downstairs are sinking. The issue is with a chemical in the underfloor insulation which is causing it to collapse.
    The remedial work being offered is to remove the floors and pump a 'filler' in to fill the voids.
    I'm trying to find out if anyone has been through this and what works were carried out, and also who should I contact to check if this actually will fix the issue - structural engineer??

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

iUsername wrote: »
    Any advise appreciated:

I bought a new build about 18 months ago, and we've discovered an issue where the floors downstairs are sinking. The issue is with a chemical in the underfloor insulation which is causing it to collapse.
    The remedial work being offered is to remove the floors and pump a 'filler' in to fill the voids.
    I'm trying to find out if anyone has been through this and what works were carried out, and also who should I contact to check if this actually will fix the issue - structural engineer??

TIA

Pm sent

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

iUsername wrote: »
    Any advise appreciated:

TIA

Who told you it was the insulation?
    There was/is a bad bath of -snip- Insulation that was used and it compresses while under load especially from floor slabs and sides them to sink.

The only way to fix is to remove the slab, insulation and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭somofagun

I have come across this with a new house which used Ballytherm insulation which a core test had shown the insulation had compressed.
    Ballytherm but it down to a bad batch of insulation.
    Are the floors sinking at the primeter of the room. Problem is that guys are throwning in sand/cement screeds these days without compacting them down and then you get srinkage which has happened in my own home, this shows up with gaps opening up between floor and skirtings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clairecee

sullivk wrote: »
    Pm sent
    Hi there, have u got experience of Ballytherm pumping floors? We have the same issue and would be interested to hear how successful it is before we do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭somofagun

I have heard this remedy for pumping the void under the floor slab. If you have pipes running through the floor screed it could cause problems. The 2 options i see is remove the floor screed and completely relay the insulation and screed or use a self leveling compound to level the floor on top of the screed but ur not sure if the floor as stopped moving.
    I did hear from a source that the problem is that ballytherm were not giving the insulation time to cool properly, it was being cooked in the factory and sent out within days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 macsparrow

I have the same problem.
    Does anyone have any advise how to go about it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Farney Farmer

macsparrow wrote: »
    I have the same problem.
    Does anyone have any advise how to go about it ?

Any update on this? Have the same problem here. Would like to hear what anybody else did? TIA

Any update on this? Have the same problem here. Would like to hear what anybody else did? TIA

You need to contact Ballytherm and take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Any idea of timeframe for these batches or even when the houses were built. We have 110 ml of Bally therm in the floor from 2010 . No issues .

You’re safe. Bad batches were made around 2014-2015 and problems showed about a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Hopetobuysoon

Hi folks,
    I'm having similar problems as outlined above, not all that confident in the response I'm getting from Ballytherm if I'm honest. We're the issue resolved in your own homes?

Thanks for any advice.

Stick with them, they’re actually dead on. First few emails were slowly responded to but it improved after. Good luck!
    Hi folks,
    I'm having similar problems as outlined above, not all that confident in the response I'm getting from Ballytherm if I'm honest. We're the issue resolved in your own homes?

Thanks for any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoc77

Hi. Had the same issue. Ballytherm pumped resin in to fix voids. Homebond checked the issue and confirmed proposed solution was appropriate. We now have no gaps and floors perfect. Took about 5 weeks including repaint and refloor.

Advertisement