Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best way to fix ?

• 12-07-2020 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Got front door replaced a few months ago and just painted over where the guys patched up but its annoying me everytime i look at it

Whats the best way to smoothen this out before i paint again ? There are a few of these marks that i need to fix

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A glib answer is to get them back to do a proper job of plastering it. I had windows done recently and you could not tell where the windows had been replaced, even though they had had to smash out the old wooden windows. Otherwise the obvious answer is to touch up the plastering, but I am sure someone who knows more about plastering than me will be along to advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hi All

Got front door replaced a few months ago and just painted over where the guys patched up but its annoying me everytime i look at it

Whats the best way to smoothen this out before i paint again ? There are a few of these marks that i need to fix

Thanks for any help

But if a hatchet job done on that, they should have fixed properly....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

my question was "Whats the best way to smoothen this out before i paint again ? There are a few of these marks that i need to fix"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

my question was "Whats the best way to smoothen this out before i paint again ? There are a few of these marks that i need to fix"

I would think you would have to chip it back and redo a section, then paint it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 br8

Hi All

Thanks for any help

Easiest way out that I see:
    a) get some of this filler : Toutpret exterior masonry filler fillerhttps://www.screwfix.ie/p/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler-1-5kg/7626h
    b) mix 50/50 with plastering sand, i.e., handful of filler, handful of plastering sand, then add your water and mix
    c) fill your spots and leave smooth
    d) after 30mins-1hr (depending how wet you mixed it and how deep hole is), check filled area to touch to see that it's nearly set, i.e., that if you gently touch it, it won't leave an indentation (gently touch! not ram a thumb into it)
    e) use a damp sponge and just rub it over the filled area to bring the sand to the fore , helps blend it in .

Maybe practice on one hole first and mix small amount as you might have to add more sand.
    I find it works for me for filling small areas that would usually require you to chisel it bigger and plaster with sand/cement. it has really good adhesion so don't be afraid to add more plastering sand to the mix.

hope this helps , everyone has their own way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 br8

br8 wrote: »
    Easiest way out that I see:
    a) get some of this filler : Toutpret exterior masonry filler fillerhttps://www.screwfix.ie/p/toupret-touprelith-f-exterior-masonry-repair-filler-1-5kg/7626h
    b) mix 50/50 with plastering sand, i.e., handful of filler, handful of plastering sand, then add your water and mix
    c) fill your spots and leave smooth
    d) after 30mins-1hr (depending how wet you mixed it and how deep hole is), check filled area to touch to see that it's nearly set, i.e., that if you gently touch it, it won't leave an indentation (gently touch! not ram a thumb into it)
    e) use a damp sponge and just rub it over the filled area to bring the sand to the fore , helps blend it in .

Maybe practice on one hole first and mix small amount as you might have to add more sand.
    I find it works for me for filling small areas that would usually require you to chisel it bigger and plaster with sand/cement. it has really good adhesion so don't be afraid to add more plastering sand to the mix.

hope this helps , everyone has their own way of doing things.

P.S. You can leave out the plastering sand and it will leave a perfectly smooth finish

Advertisement