Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Dundalk

Options
  • 11-07-2020 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Here is some information for thinking

House for sale in Dundalk 70 km from Dublin

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/36-ladywell-terrace-dundalk-louth-2588443/

95 K price,lets say this house will cost 100K
    Noisy main road,only 5 minutes to exit 16 on M1
    No problems with surrounding area,Garda station in about 3 min drive

The rent in Dublin 2K or 24K per year
    Same noise in city jungle

Advantages buying in Dundalk
    Low cost of life,no problems with play schools / schools/many forest /mountain parks around /great coast line
    Possibility for travel with train ( train station only 15 min walk from this house )

Disadvantages
    Travel to work to Dublin ,traffics but I could always listen great audio books trough the net during the journey time

Investment to Dacia Logan lets say 14K with 5 years warranty

So,all invested lets say 120K,this house will pay back in about 5 years time

Saving money which I will have spend for rent in Dublin I will get 125K in savings plus house in 5 years

OK,lets keep 25K for petrol and tols,so we have 100K ,house and car in 5 years time

So then I could move to Dublin buy house for 450K and keep house in Dundalk for renting what will pay part of my mortgage in Dublin.

Or I could buy brand new house in Dundalk for 250K on very good location having about 50 per cent deposit and house which will pay my mortgage.

If I would have 100K in cash and choice buy 450K house in Dublin I would definetelly move to Dundalk

I think prices in Dublin are slightly too big and have enough space for falling down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Here is some information for thinking

House for sale in Dundalk 70 km from Dublin

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/dundalk/36-ladywell-terrace-dundalk-louth-2588443/

95 K price,lets say this house will cost 100K
    Noisy main road,only 5 minutes to exit 16 on M1
    No problems with surrounding area,Garda station in about 3 min drive

The rent in Dublin 2K or 24K per year
    Same noise in city jungle

Advantages buying in Dundalk
    Low cost of life,no problems with play schools / schools/many forest /mountain parks around /great coast line
    Possibility for travel with train ( train station only 15 min walk from this house )

Disadvantages
    Travel to work to Dublin ,traffics but I could always listen great audio books trough the net during the journey time

Investment to Dacia Logan lets say 14K with 5 years warranty

So,all invested lets say 120K,this house will pay back in about 5 years time

Saving money which I will have spend for rent in Dublin I will get 125K in savings plus house in 5 years

OK,lets keep 25K for petrol and tols,so we have 100K ,house and car in 5 years time

So then I could move to Dublin buy house for 450K and keep house in Dundalk for renting what will pay part of my mortgage in Dublin.

Or I could buy brand new house in Dundalk for 250K on very good location having about 50 per cent deposit and house which will pay my mortgage.

If I would have 100K in cash and choice buy 450K house in Dublin I would definetelly move to Dundalk

I think prices in Dublin are slightly too big and have enough space for falling down.

You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Dundalk. In my opinion, it is a kip. And yes I am making a sweeping generalisation!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Hubertj wrote: »
    You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Dundalk. In my opinion, it is a kip. And yes I am making a sweeping generalisation!

My mate carpenter self employed work in Dublin,renting 4 beds house for 2800 euros per month.His wife sister family also live in same house.He wake up at 5 on morning and go to bed at around 1.His kids does not see him because he work 7 days per week.When I was talking with him he did not look great and said he has problems with heart.I dont think he will wake up one morning.

Yes,I see many of people like you at weekends in Carlingford on weekend run from Dublin.

Also I drive in Dublin often enough,sad see people living healthy life running beside busy streets and breeding smoke from exhausts.

I spent half day today with my son in Slive Gulion forest park beside Newry.Only 20min drive without any traffic.Could I get to same area beside Dublin ? Not a chance !

You see sometimes live better quality life you dont need earn more you just need live on right place with less expences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

BER Rating G (aka- its pretty much the same as sitting outdoors- only without the ventillation)
    End of terrace
    Next door to a school
    Only photo is a cropped photo of the front outside of the house - zero of the interior- is it that bad that they wouldn't photograph it?

and also- in the description:

This property will be appealing to builders or those looking to invest.

Aka- you're buying a site- the current dwelling is very likely either condemned, or within days of it.

BER Rating G (aka- its pretty much the same as sitting outdoors- only without the ventillation)
    End of terrace
    Next door to a school
    Only photo is a cropped photo of the front outside of the house - zero of the interior- is it that bad that they wouldn't photograph it?

Aka- you're buying a site- the current dwelling is very likely either condemned, or within days of it.

The BER is not a problem on North,the oil prices on boarder is 35 cents per ltr when in Dublin is 70.

I am not gonna live there all my life ,the main target get roof and money back

Yes,it is,nearly next door to many schools when in Dublin people have traveling bringing kidz to school / the prices for play school is more affordable than in Dublin

There is no need to invest with property shortage on renting market,there is only 30 houses for rent at the moment with average 1200 euros per month rent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

"Is is need of some renovation" read, needs gutting to the point you won't get a mortgage on it.

"Is is need of some renovation" read, needs gutting to the point you won't get a mortgage on it.

I was talking about cash sale without mortgage.The 20 per cent need for deposit buying property ,so buying property in Dublin for 450K I will have get 114K deposit.What is exactly price for investment in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I was talking about cash sale without mortgage.

I doubt it's livable but who knows. Best of luck with it.

I doubt it's livable but who knows. Best of luck with it.
    I talking only about 5 years live in this house.Per 5 years you getting own house with 100K and car on top.What will you get in Dublin with 100K cash per 5 years ?

OP, I can see the point you're trying to make, but this would make more sense for your argument:

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/castlebellingham/50-st-olivers-park-kilsaran-castlebellingham-castlebellingham-louth-2206871/

140 asking, say you got it for 150. Easy access to the M1 and a bit closer than Dundalk to Dublin. Ready to move into, and the commute isn't that bad (less than an hour to City Centre I'd say).

And for me, personally, yes, I'd rather live in Dundalk or Castlebellingham than Dublin itself. But then I despise dublin and its general busy-ness, so I'd much prefer smaller town/village living.

• Advertisement

OP, I can see the point you're trying to make, but this would make more sense for your argument:

https://www.daft.ie/louth/houses-for-sale/castlebellingham/50-st-olivers-park-kilsaran-castlebellingham-castlebellingham-louth-2206871/

140 asking, say you got it for 150. Easy access to the M1 and a bit closer than Dundalk to Dublin. Ready to move into, and the commute isn't that bad (less than an hour to City Centre I'd say).

And for me, personally, yes, I'd rather live in Dundalk or Castlebellingham than Dublin itself. But then I despise dublin and its general busy-ness, so I'd much prefer smaller town/village living.
    But you see,Castlebelingham does not have much schools and play schools,also does not have DKIT.The house in Dundalk is better for renting to students of DKIT because its only 15 min walk.Also it is cheaper than Castlebelingham.

Also it is cheaper than Castlebelingham.

Because it's derelict. When an estate agent doesn't take a single interior photo, it's for good reason.

But assuming you spent the same money on it, and got it wrapped up for 150k and in a livable standard, you have to keep in mind it's a 2 bed house.

So although a student living with you sounds like a handy way to recoup some money in theory, it's unlikely you'd actually do it in real life as the place would be in bits in no time. Whist you're commuting to and from work, the student would be living it up in your house.

Because it's derelict. When an estate agent doesn't take a single interior photo, it's for good reason.

But assuming you spent the same money on it, and got it wrapped up for 150k and in a livable standard, you have to keep in mind it's a 2 bed house.

So although a student living with you sounds like a handy way to recoup some money in theory, it's unlikely you'd actually do it in real life as the place would be in bits in no time. Whist you're commuting to and from work, the student would be living it up in your house.

I will drop couple cans of paint and laminat floor for 1K and couple weekends just for making nice.As I said before I am not gonna spend there more than 5 years.After that house will go for rent .There was 290 houses for rent in 2009 and only 30 today.There is big names as PayPal and Ebay in Dundalk already,not sure for how long but they employing plenty people from abroad.

I will drop couple cans of paint and laminat floor for 1K and couple weekends just for making nice.As I said before I am not gonna spend there more than 5 years.After that house will go for rent .There was 290 houses for rent in 2009 and only 30 today.There is big names as PayPal and Ebay in Dundalk already,not sure for how long but they employing plenty people from abroad.

Have you done this before? Buy a derelict house, I mean? There may well be a bit more to it than a bit of flooring and a tin of paint.

Of course, it's a mystery at the moment, so it could well be immaculate inside, but I'd be expecting to have to deal with dampness, possibly replacing windows, removing and replacing plasterboard (ceilings tend to sag when the house has been empty a while or if dampness gets into them), you might be looking at a new boiler (most of them are stolen almost immediately when the house becomes empty), potentially a re-wire of certain areas if any was damaged (oftentimes by the people who steal the boiler), radiators may need replacing (if they're still there) or you'll possibly have to get them power-flushed if they are still there, often dampness in a house that hasn't been lived in in a while may cause the internal doors to swell or buckle (although this is rare, I will admit, but no harm mentioning it).

If you're working a full time Dublin job, and relying on tradesmen to do the work, you could be looking at spending 50-70k easily. Maybe more. If you're doing it yourself you'd save a fortune, but the house would be lying as a project for a long time while you try to get the motivation to install radiators and skirting on your only days off work.

Now I'm not trying to be a scare-mongerer, but I'm in empty/for sale houses fairly regularly, and although a lot of them are grand, almost all of them have some cocktail of problems that explain why they'd be cheap.

Being a 2 bed works against it. If you were willing to detach from it completely, and hire tradesmen, and just use it solely as a rental property (2 student rooms, perhaps try get a 3rd room in a cheap extension etc) it might be a good investment over a long period of time (students don't rent year-round, and keep in mind there's a large apartment block across the road from the house that's aimed at students too, and although I'm open to correction, it's usually got vacancies).

You'd need to be aiming to rent to people who work in the area rather than students. But no working couple will want to share a 2 bed with the owner for a prolonged length of time, meaning you'd be best to not be in the house yourself, but use the income from it to get yourself something more suitable.

Have you done this before? Buy a derelict house, I mean? There may well be a bit more to it than a bit of flooring and a tin of paint.

Of course, it's a mystery at the moment, so it could well be immaculate inside, but I'd be expecting to have to deal with dampness, possibly replacing windows, removing and replacing plasterboard (ceilings tend to sag when the house has been empty a while or if dampness gets into them), you might be looking at a new boiler (most of them are stolen almost immediately when the house becomes empty), potentially a re-wire of certain areas if any was damaged (oftentimes by the people who steal the boiler), radiators may need replacing (if they're still there) or you'll possibly have to get them power-flushed if they are still there, often dampness in a house that hasn't been lived in in a while may cause the internal doors to swell or buckle (although this is rare, I will admit, but no harm mentioning it).

If you're working a full time Dublin job, and relying on tradesmen to do the work, you could be looking at spending 50-70k easily. Maybe more. If you're doing it yourself you'd save a fortune, but the house would be lying as a project for a long time while you try to get the motivation to install radiators and skirting on your only days off work.

Now I'm not trying to be a scare-mongerer, but I'm in empty/for sale houses fairly regularly, and although a lot of them are grand, almost all of them have some cocktail of problems that explain why they'd be cheap.

Being a 2 bed works against it. If you were willing to detach from it completely, and hire tradesmen, and just use it solely as a rental property (2 student rooms, perhaps try get a 3rd room in a cheap extension etc) it might be a good investment over a long period of time (students don't rent year-round, and keep in mind there's a large apartment block across the road from the house that's aimed at students too, and although I'm open to correction, it's usually got vacancies).

You'd need to be aiming to rent to people who work in the area rather than students. But no working couple will want to share a 2 bed with the owner for a prolonged length of time, meaning you'd be best to not be in the house yourself, but use the income from it to get yourself something more suitable.

There is 2 groups of investors

1 group who does not have money for microwave and take mortgage overpaying thousands for property trying get 100 euros worth microwave on shelf

2 Group who buy property as milking cow ( me ) and who does not want spend any money of it because the main target is

a) Get invested money back asap
    b) Use property as milking cow for cover mortgage/pension/kidz education

I dont care about condition of the property,I am not gonna spend there my days until end of my life
    The renters who will renting this property does not care about condition of the walls,they care about price because the less the pay the more they save for own property or education

We are not talking about property for life we are talking about cow for milking and way save money as much as possible for second project.

There is 2 groups of investors

1 group who does not have money for microwave and take mortgage overpaying thousands for property trying get 100 euros worth microwave on shelf

2 Group who buy property as milking cow ( me ) and who does not want spend any money of it because the main target is

a) Get invested money back asap
    b) Use property as milking cow for cover mortgage/pension/kidz education

I dont care about condition of the property,I am not gonna spend there my days until end of my life
    The renters who will renting this property does not care about condition of the walls,they care about price because the less the pay the more they save for own property or education

We are not talking about property for life we are talking about cow for milking and way save money as much as possible for second project.

I understand what you're saying, but my post above was written with the assumption that you'd want to rent it and recoup money as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, you still have to fix the sagging ceilings, mouldy walls, missing boiler, etc. along the way. Or nobody will rent it. They'll go to the apartment block across the road.

I get your basic premise, but there are often unavoidable costs (depending on the condition of the house).

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I’m reading this trying to work out if you’re a troll or just not very bright.

I’d could easily take 30k or 40k just to make this habitable. A tin of paint is not going to fix black mould on the wall or make you warm in winter if there’s no working central heating. And who in their right mind will rent somewhere that’s fit to be condemned when you’re done with it in 5 years. There’s legal requirements when renting out property or do you think you can fill the bedrooms and sitting room with bunk beds and fit about 15 low income migrant workers in there as that’s about all you’d attract if it’s left looking like a slum.

Red flags should be going up that’s there’s no internal pictures and is classed as a builders project.

I understand what you're saying, but my post above was written with the assumption that you'd want to rent it and recoup money as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, you still have to fix the sagging ceilings, mouldy walls, missing boiler, etc. along the way. Or nobody will rent it. They'll go to the apartment block across the road.

I get your basic premise, but there are often unavoidable costs (depending on the condition of the house).

I am from country abroad and I know many people who pay rents.Some of them was complaining about condition of the property and many of them got pay higher rents after or leave the house because land lord did not want them.

One my mate when his cooker broke did not say anything to landlord,he simply bought new.The next time lawn mover broke,he bought new.His wife asked for dishwasher and my firend bought new.Finally washing machine broke down and he bought new.When he left the house land lord asked him why you did not tell me that cooker/washing machine/lawn mover broke ? My mate said Because it was cheaper buy new then pay higher rent.

Finally my mate bought own house and his land lord got spend 800 buying new stuff.If my mate on those days ( before rents new legislation ) would complain about property his rent would go up from 900 to 1300 per month ( same as for those my mates who was complaining ).One family who was asked land lord clean the gutters was given 30 days to get out.

Duvetdays wrote: »
    I’m reading this trying to work out if you’re a troll or just not very bright.

I’d could easily take 30k or 40k just to make this habitable. A tin of paint is not going to fix black mould on the wall or make you warm in winter if there’s no working central heating. And who in their right mind will rent somewhere that’s fit to be condemned when you’re done with it in 5 years. There’s legal requirements when renting out property or do you think you can fill the bedrooms and sitting room with bunk beds and fit about 15 low income migrant workers in there as that’s about all you’d attract if it’s left looking like a slum.

Red flags should be going up that’s there’s no internal pictures and is classed as a builders project.

Did you call me a troll ? Then get answers to your questions your self.

Dundalk's grand for the most part but there's houses for not much more that are ready to move into. As well as that, the market isn't particularly buoyant but asking prices have continued to increase. From checking the property price register over the last couple of years and daft pretty much the only houses I've seen go over asking were bought by the council. In some areas asking prices have gone up 15-20% since the start of last year despite houses sitting on the market even longer.
    If you want to move to Dundalk find somewhere handy to move into. For commuting there's good public transport options and if you're driving you're only 5 minutes from the motorway first thing in the morning pretty much anywhere in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Did you call me a troll ? Then get answers to your questions your self.

People are trying to help you by telling you how much it could potentially cost just to make the place liveable and your answer is you don’t care that you’ll be only there 5 years. You might not care but it can’t be rented out with no central heating or dangerous electrics. So after 5 years it’ll go back on the market at a similar price as there’s nothing done to it or you spend a considerable amount of money to bring it up to a legal rentable condition. There’s also tax implications of being a landlord, others will advise of the percentage. So if you rent it out for say €800 a month that 800 doesn’t go into your pocket or pay off your Dublin mortgage it’ll be a lot less then that after the tax man has his cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

End of terrace
    Next door to a school

That's not a school next door, it's a residential property. I live not too far away. But I'd agree, this house will not much more than a mere shell inside.

I know a couple who bought a similar property at a similar price about 10 minutes from this house. They've spent every spare minute and penny the last 6 weeks to get the house up to scratch and it's still not liveable just yet.

OP, in all likelihood you are going to have to increase your budget in order to have something ready to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

1st off, the house in the photo and the address are two different addresses. Not sure if this may change your mind on anything.

36 Ladywell Terrace is here; https://goo.gl/maps/b6C1WnvjJVJ8i1BM8

The address of the house in the picture with the forsale sign is down the road at https://goo.gl/maps/kNU5jjMchCpqisRn9

Google maps may be off, but this is odd.

=-=
    I talking only about 5 years live in this house.Per 5 years you getting own house with 100K and car on top.What will you get in Dublin with 100K cash per 5 years ?
    150k. 100k for the house, at least 50k to make it liveable, maybe more to fix other issues.
    I will drop couple cans of paint and laminat floor for 1K and couple weekends just for making nice.
    It may look nice, but it won't be liveable.
    The BER is not a problem on North,the oil prices on boarder is 35 cents per ltr when in Dublin is 70.
    So your plan is to rent a freezing cold sh|tbox to the tenant? You are worse than the landlords you say your friends rented from.
    I am not gonna live there all my life ,the main target get roof and money back
    Ah, so you're going to be one of those landlords who will furnish their house with crap?
    Do you know anyone in Dundalk, and have you asked them should you move there? What did they say?

.One family who was asked land lord clean the gutters was given 30 days to get out.

Again, I can understand the kind of situation you're trying to create, but it doesn't work like that in real life, too well. Certainly not in Ireland. I mean, you might possibly get away with being a slum landlord if you've an attractive location in Dublin city. In Dundalk, with student apartments across the road, you've no hope.

Also, a single complaint about you to the authorities and all of a sudden you'll have a load of hassle and grief that could take years to sort out, mean while the kind of person you're trying to attract is the exact kind of person that will overhold and not pay rent.

I honestly do get where you're coming from, but you've over-simplified it far too much, and it simply wouldn't work in real life, especially not in Dundalk which, although it does have a fair few students and workers hanging around, they also have a lot of choice for renting.

If you're working in dundalk then you're also looking at Castlebellingham, Ardee, Drogheda, Clogherhead, Carrickmacross, etc. to rent in. Dundalk is not a million miles away from surrounding towns with plenty of rental options. People will take a glance at your house, and walk. In the mean time if someone that viewed it doesn't think it's up to standard and complains, you're back to having to spend money to do it up properly.

If you could get that house livable for the cost of a few tins of paint and a bit of laminate flooring, the asking price would be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

This could be far better value for your money and the town is logistically well placed.

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-1-ash-walk-ardee-co-louth/1465746

This could be far better value for your money and the town is logistically well placed.

https://touch.daft.ie/for-sale/apartment-apartment-1-ash-walk-ardee-co-louth/1465746

Not great for future investment as renting :

1) Too far from Dundalk PayPal/Ebay/DKIT
    2) Extra expenses for renter as car insurance because it will be sky high for people from abroad.
    3) Car motor tax which is high for cars up to 2008
    4) No railway station
    5) Too far from sea cost line / not suitable for walks/cycling

If you could get that house livable for the cost of a few tins of paint and a bit of laminate flooring, the asking price would be higher.

I was putting floor on attic creating extra storage room in house.20 square mtrs cost me 3 hours work and 40 euros for materials.The most common problem that many people does not know how much jobs cost and agree overpay thousands for couple extra shelves and microwave on it which will cost 100 euros just because does not want get eyes off from chatting on Iphone.

More likely seller getting ready for recession and try get rid of this house asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Not great for future investment as renting :

1) Too far from Dundalk PayPal/Ebay/DKIT
    2) Extra expenses for renter as car insurance because it will be sky high for people from abroad.
    3) Car motor tax which is high for cars up to 2008
    4) No railway station
    5) Too far from sea cost line / not suitable for walks/cycling

if your plan is for student rentals, factor in it being empty 3 months of the year, and believe me , nobody is coming to Dundalk for the summer to take it from you. after the tax is paid it won't be any sort of fruitful income

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I was putting floor on attic creating extra storage room in house.20 square mtrs cost me 3 hours work and 40 euros for materials.The most common problem that many people does not know how much jobs cost and agree overpay thousands for couple extra shelves and microwave on it which will cost 100 euros just because does not want get eyes off from chatting on Iphone.

More likely seller getting ready for recession and try get rid of this house asap.

can you tell me where I can get 20 square meters of flooring for 40 euro. cheapest 18mm osb (standard loft board) I can find is about 10 per square meter.

• Advertisement

if your plan is for student rentals, factor in it being empty 3 months of the year, and believe me , nobody is coming to Dundalk for the summer to take it from you. after the tax is paid it won't be any sort of fruitful income
    I am not looking for fruitful income,I looking for house in one hand and money in another in 5 years time not paying 2K rent in Dublin.If I will not rent this house I can sell it for same money and get another 100K when In Dublin I will lose 124K in another 5 years.

The main idea is convert money from losing to rent in Dublin to own house and money to Dundalk

The option 2 use this house as financial support for next project.

The fact is Saved 100K and lost 124 K in Dublin in 5 years
    Or invest saved 100 K in Dundalk and get another 100K saved and get house ! in 5 years time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement