Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting a TV on a weird wall

Options
  • 09-07-2020 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to mount a 40kg TV to a wall.

I searched for studs with a magnetic studfinder and found none. I then made a hole with a screwdriver. It seems to be plasterboard with stuff behind it that crumbles to dust - presumably some sort of insulation? This stuff goes back for 10cm.

The bottom half of this room is below ground (basement) and this wall is below ground level.

Any thoughts on how I could mount the 40kg TV to this wall?

Thanks a million in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

160mm long 10 or 12mm diameter express nails driven flush to the face of the plaster board and then use self tappers to thread into the hole in the express nail.
    Alternatively use express nails to fix a piece of timber on the wall and then screw the bracket to it.
    This would be my preferred option as you need less accuracy with the express nails.

This assumes that there is no damp proof lining on the wall below ground, I doubt it but....

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No solution sorry, but I am curious to know what kind of telly weighs 40kg :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Have a look at Rigfix if theres concrete within the wall
    Or GripIt fixtures the blue fixtures if theres only plasterboard

I've used them both on my bedroom walls after I sheeted with insulated plasterboard
    As saw here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=715111

But as said; 40kg must be an old plasma? Or has a built in fridge

My 43" LED only cost €460 and it weighs 16kg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

No solution sorry, but I am curious to know what kind of telly weighs 40kg :eek:
    I'm guessing an old style plasma; they are HEAVY!

And will probably take the wall off with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LenWoods wrote: »
    My 43" Sony only weighs 9.4kg!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Alun wrote: »
    My 43" Sony only weighs 9.4kg!
    Mine has Netflix and Amazon Prime built in fort of adds to the weight lol

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Frame fixers would be your best bet 140mm or 160mm long

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Or GripIt fixtures the blue fixtures if theres only plasterboard

I've used them both on my bedroom walls after I sheeted with insulated plasterboard
    As saw here: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=715111

But as said; 40kg must be an old plasma? Or has a built in fridge

Not sure I'd fancy hanging 40kg off GripIt fixings.

In fact not sure I'd fancy hanging 40kg on my wall at all. Must be a nice cast iron telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd seriously suggest that 40kg is way too much to hang off a wall that seems to be plasterboard, with something crumbly behind it.

Are you sure you're correct about the weight of the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Firstly,
    Mine has Netflix and Amazon Prime built in fort of adds to the weight lol

:D
    I'd seriously suggest that 40kg is way too much to hang off a wall that seems to be plasterboard, with something crumbly behind it.

Yeah, I'm worried about it.

We are thinking about going stone mad and getting a 77 inch OLED. It is 40.2kg.
    160mm long 10 or 12mm diameter express nails driven flush to the face of the plaster board and then use self tappers to thread into the hole in the express nail.
    Alternatively use express nails to fix a piece of timber on the wall and then screw the bracket to it.
    This would be my preferred option as you need less accuracy with the express nails.

This assumes that there is no damp proof lining on the wall below ground, I doubt it but....

I looked up express nails. Are they not for solid walls? The TV is designed to be flush to the wall so a piece of timber is out. I think that there is probably damp proof lining behind the 10cm of crumbly insulation.
    keithdub wrote: »
    Frame fixers would be your best bet 140mm or 160mm long

Are these also for solid walls?

Those do look very strong but now I think I am more worried about the strength of the wall, especially without studs to support it.

Thanks again to everybody!

• Advertisement

The express nail suggestion was to use a long express nail so that it goes through the plasterboard, through the insulation and into the blockwork. But this only works if there is in fact block work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,097 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

beaker wrote: »
    I looked up express nails. Are they not for solid walls? The TV is designed to be flush to the wall so a piece of timber is out. I think that there is probably damp proof lining behind the 10cm of crumbly insulation.

Mounting directly to plasterboard is fine if the plasterboard is secure.
    If the crumbly stuff is yellow/orange/pink - it's most likely insulated plasterboard. Which will is a huge issue. Even if you fix the TV perfectly to the plasterboard. You are then relying between the plasterboard and insulation, and the insulation and wall to hold up the TV. Could easily rip it off.

I'd be figuring out what is back there or finding a different solution.

Also need to know where the waterproofing layer is. Puncture that and you've a leak behind your TV.

awec wrote: »
    The express nail suggestion was to use a long express nail so that it goes through the plasterboard, through the insulation and into the blockwork. But this only works if there is in fact block work there.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks. As Mellor says below though, if there's a waterproofing layer there, I can't do that, right?
    Mellor wrote: »
    Mounting directly to plasterboard is fine if the plasterboard is secure.
    If the crumbly stuff is yellow/orange/pink - it's most likely insulated plasterboard. Which will is a huge issue. Even if you fix the TV perfectly to the plasterboard. You are then relying between the plasterboard and insulation, and the insulation and wall to hold up the TV. Could easily rip it off.

I'd be figuring out what is back there or finding a different solution.

Also need to know where the waterproofing layer is. Puncture that and you've a leak behind your TV.

The crumbly stuff is orange/pink. It sounds like I'm out of luck.

I might look at adding some sort of false wall that I can recess the TV in. If I used a freestanding mount (like this one that I currently have: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00B789K2I), do you think I could recess part of it into the insulated plasterboard?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

There are studs, you're just not finding them. If it is insulated plasterboard (as I suspect), then a studfinder won't locate them. Measure out 600mm from one wall and drill a very small hole into the plasterboard. If the bit goes straight through, keep moving along the wall in 20mm increments until the bit hits a stud. Now measure another 600mm until you meet the next stud, and keep going until you find the studs nearest where you TV is to go. You will know by the depth you had to drill how thick the insulation is, add 75,, to this to give you a screw with good purchase in the stud, and away you go. The worst case scenario is that you will have a few tiny test holes to fill and paint.

RandRuns wrote: »
    There are studs, you're just not finding them. If it is insulated plasterboard (as I suspect), then a studfinder won't locate them. Measure out 600mm from one wall and drill a very small hole into the plasterboard. If the bit goes straight through, keep moving along the wall in 20mm increments until the bit hits a stud. Now measure another 600mm until you meet the next stud, and keep going until you find the studs nearest where you TV is to go. You will know by the depth you had to drill how thick the insulation is, add 75,, to this to give you a screw with good purchase in the stud, and away you go. The worst case scenario is that you will have a few tiny test holes to fill and paint.

Wow!! Hope returns! :)

Thanks a million! I'll try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭chooseusername

RandRuns wrote: »

Not necessarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Osamabumdipper

Yeah, I'm worried about it.

We are thinking about going stone mad and getting a 77 inch OLED. It is 40.2kg.

Thanks again to everybody!

How about an insanely high-powered projector?

Not necessarily.

But would you still say it's worth a look / drill?
    How about an insanely high-powered projector?

That would be easier alright but we are totally sold on OLED. The blacks! The colours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Osamabumdipper

That would be easier alright but we are totally sold on OLED. The blacks! The colours!

I seen a projector done properly recently and couldn't get over how perfect it looked.

Is this a new house? If so it could be metal studs and you'll have to get even more creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How big is the room 77 inch is massive?

If it’s an external walk drill trough to the concrete.

If it’s an stud wall then get a drill with a small drill bit. Drill where you are going to hang it , keep drilling till you hit a stud then find the centre of it, measure across 16 inches and you should hit another stud, use coach screws to get a good tight fitting.

40kg is heavy. Check the load rating for a stud

Don’t buy a bracket from an Irish store they are always over priced. Amazon sell lots of brackets that are as good or better for 10-50 euro.

Would you consider a stand ? FITUEYES Table Pedestal TV Stand for 50" - 80" TV with 100° Swivel 2 Adjustable Heights Bracket 10mm Tempered Glass Base Cable Management Holds 65kgs Max. VESA 800x600 mm TT107003GB https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXL6SVZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_rIJcFb9YE4F6B

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

77” OLED. Must be in the region of €6k Surely :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,122 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just did one of those stud searches (I don't have a stud finder - well not one that works) and tapped a 1" fine panel pin through the plaster board which made only a very tiny hole without breaking up the surface. When its only going through plaster you can give it a little twist with your fingers and pull it out. Turned out in spite of measuring and estimating the first attempt was half way between studs.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

With a TV that large the room has to be big so you have space to play with, there's no need to be eating into the building fabric.

If you want it to look recessed then you could just build a box out from the wall and and recess it within that. You'll then have shallow alcoves to the side you can fill with shelving or whatever. Cables can be hidden but easily accessible.

If you're putting a 77inch TV into a small room then.... don't? :pac:

Advertisement