Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking stove

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Update.

I phoned the original Plumber and he has agreed to come over this week.
    I will keep this thread updated.
    Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Looking forward to updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

The only update I have is that the original Plumber has disappeared.
    I got talking to him two weeks ago and he assured me he would call to me the next day.
    Now he is not answering my phone calls or texts ....
    What do the good folk on here make of that ?
    Looks like I am going to have to find another plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Unless the stove has a boiler I don't know why you would be looking for a plumber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Unless the stove has a boiler I don't know why you would be looking for a plumber.

I'd ask in the local builders merchants who they know that installs stoves or if there is anyone they recommend?

• Advertisement

There has been enough talk about solving the problem so here is what you must do.

Rip out the stonework above the stove (its not very well built) and put it to one side,it looks a bit like leitrim stone.

Properly connect the stove to the flue making certain it is airtight.Re-build the stone and if for any reason you are short stone because it was not built back exactly as before,get your hands on a Leitrim stone or 2 ,there is plenty of it being thrown out as ppl change fireplaces.

The whole job should only take a few hours but with the stonework taken down all will be revealed and the remedy should be obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 TaSeThat

Any chance of an update to this as I have the same problem - stove has always smoked into the room when opening the door. Don't want to highjack the thread but if anyone can help as same problem. To highlight:

1. Moved in a few weeks ago and stove has always smoked into the room when door open.
    2. Got chimney cleaned a couple of weeks ago - no fix
    3. Have tried open vents, closing vents, open doors, etc but same problem
    4. The glass on the doors has to be cleaned every day after lighting the stove as they are caked in smoke.
    5 Even ordered smokeless Ovids from EasiGlow in case it was the fuel (previous owner left a bit of coal in the bunker) - same issue.

It's a Waterford Shamrock Stove - same as this one if that helps:

https://www.adverts.ie/stoves/waterford-stanley-shamrock-stove-back-boiler-model/7714219

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Woodie.ie

Assuming that your chimney is clean and there are no broken flues then some chimneys do have a poor draught. Make sure your first fire is always bright with a good blaze to heat the flue quickly [more sticks or small logs] and help create a good draught. High trees close to the house can also cause problems. It might be necessary to put a camera up the chimney to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Does the flue pipe exit horizontally at rear of stove?
    If so, it should not then take a direct 90deg angle up after this.
    It should be a curved bend or two 45deg bends.

It goes out behind the stove and not from the top. Followed a couple of YouTube videos on how to start fires in a stove (yep I went that basic) and it lights fine but just smokes everytime/anytime I open the door to stoke or top it up.
    Dr Google mentioned having a full fire going in order to burn the smoke but still no joy. Will have to get someone in to take a look at it as it's a pain to have the smoke alarm going off and having to open the front door whenever the stove door is opened to top up the fire.

cheers for the responses.

• Advertisement

Light the stove in the usual way (you say it lights fine) before you open the door open a window in the room and you may find it does not smoke or with the window closed open the door of the lighted stove and as it smokes open the window and see if it no longer smokes.

This test will determine if the room is starved for air. If there are high trees or buildings causing a downdraft you may have to increase chimney height by inserting a pipe on top of chimney.

You should make sure the flu is not clogged at the back of the stove put you hand in or a large spoon and root around.

Let me know how you get on i have cured a number of smoke problems over the years and have my own installation method which has stood the test of time.

Where the 6 inch ( usually)pipe from the stove goes into the main flu it is vital that a flu reducer is used if the flu is an 8 inch flu (usual)

A metal flu reducer is available the bigger end is shoved into the existing flu until it is in tight,the narrow section of the reducer connects to metal pipecoming out or up from the stove.

It is vital that the pipe leaving the stove and connecting to the flu is airtight,if the 6 inch pipe from the stove is going into the 8 inch main flu is not made airtight it will smoke.

Cheers Zimmermania - I'll try the exit/rear pipe with a wooden spoon to see if it hits anything/unblocks. I know when the guy was cleaning it he was saying it had great draft (you can hear the wind in the fireplace, even this evening with it not too windy). I did try the door open last night but smoke was still getting in the room. I also tried with the door and every window in the room open (the front door opens into the living room/kitchen which is where the stove is).

I'm trying to get the cousin up in the next few days as he deals in stoves and may spot something. I will try your suggestions though and thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Try opening the door gradually.
    Slowly open it about an inch at first then wait a few seconds
    before slowly opening it completely .

Advertisement