Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

procedural motions on the Oxford comma,

If only!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

boardise wrote: »
    This show has gone to pot altogether .
    Tuned in around 9.30 today -what do I hear ....speeches by Martin Luther King from 50/60 years ago ! Muted this as it must be about the 50th time I've heard them. Tuned in again shortly after only to hear some more loud clamour -pop music from over 30 years ago. I mean what the actual ....? I thought this show was focused on news and current affairs...not just another magazine of randomly chosen fluffy historical curiosities. It's just aural bilge the way it's structured now.
    Kenny ,though excellent -has become a campaigner rather than a presenter and there's also far too much attention to Trumpiana.
    Why do we not get more granular coverage of EU matters -the parliament , council and commission as well as items from the other 26/7 countries in the political bloc we are connected to ?

There was serious protests yesterday in Serbia over the introduction of a lockdown, the protesters stormed their parliament there.

Had something like that happened in some Mid Western state in America, our media would be all over it.

Certain presenters have a clear US bias in that they want to talk about America as much as possible. Pat Kenny is one and Matt Cooper is another.

This is what happened in the UK, they also spend hours every day on US matters. It was a factor in the Brexit referendum, Brits see themselves closer to Americans than they do Europeans. This is what's happening here I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

How many could name all the EU countries?

Well done. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is what happened in the UK, they also spend hours every day on US matters. It was a factor in the Brexit referendum, Brits see themselves closer to Americans than they do Europeans. This is what's happening here I'm afraid.

There is zero evidence of this.

There is zero evidence of this.

Well it's my observation. Do you require evidence for observations now in order to dismiss opinions?

As for Brits seeing themselves closer to Americans than Europeans. Do you seriously require evidence to back this statement up?

It's obvious.

• Advertisement

Well it's my observation. Do you require evidence for observations now in order to dismiss opinions?

As for Brits seeing themselves closer to Americans than Europeans. Do you seriously require evidence to back this statement up?

It's obvious.

Yes. Please.

Yes. Please.

I could but I suspect you won't agree and you probably haven't given it much thought, particularly if your answer is to ask for evidence on an observation rather than debate the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I could but I suspect you won't agree and you probably haven't given it much thought, particularly if your answer is to ask for evidence on an observation rather than debate the point.

Is it not just our insularity we (and the Brit) are interested in US because they speak English ... well, a version of it anyway :rolleyes:

I've lived in the UK and am currently living in the US. More than happy to debate the point if you want to do so beyond just making a statement, hence asking for evidence.

I've lived in the UK and am currently living in the US. More than happy to debate the point if you want to do so beyond just making a statement, hence asking for evidence.

But most boards comments are like. We don't all reply demanding evidence.

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Is it not just our insularity we (and the Brit) are interested in US because they speak English ... well, a version of it anyway :rolleyes:

Oh yes the same language is definitely a big factor. Lots of American corporations here, Starbucks everywhere etc. Netflix and other US shows being shown here another factor. It's a trend that's going on for decades now.

Where it will lead us? I'm not so sure.

One effect for sure is that some people are motivated by whats going on in America than what's going on here. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

But most boards comments are like. We don't all reply demanding evidence.

I'm not sure why my post annoyed you so much. I simply said there was no evidence that Brits seeing themselves more American was a factor in Brexit. You suggested you could offer evidence and I said please do. That is hardly 'demanding evidence'.

For what it's worth, most in the UK who are in support of Brexit don't, in my view, see themselves in any way being close to or similar to being American above European.

The see themselves as British, formerly 'rulers of the waves' and are very reminiscent of a time when they were the dominant force in the world and no one could influence their rules and laws. For them, the idea of the EU influencing farming quotas, or whatever in Yorkshire versus when the Empire used to rule much of the world is just too much, even though few of them were alive at that time.

Many of them are still much more interested in European cultural experiences than they would be of American.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

This is a very good point it is definitely a blind spot in coverage with Irish media overall. People are never told what is going on in EU matters
    That's not just a problem with Irish media, though. If you watch the European Parliament coverage on RTE on the "Anoraks and Insomniacs" slot (to quote Pat Rabbitte), you will see MEPs from other countries complaining about the same thing.
    Cole wrote: »
    I presume those who would like to hear more EU news (me too) mean more coverage of stories in EU countries, rather than the intricate workings of the EU Commission or Parliament
    Indeed. I always go to the BBC's Europe feed - very handy.

I'm not sure why my post annoyed you so much. I simply said there was no evidence that Brits seeing themselves more American was a factor in Brexit. You suggested you could offer evidence and I said please do. That is hardly 'demanding evidence'.

For what it's worth, most in the UK who are in support of Brexit don't, in my view, see themselves in any way being close to or similar to being American above European.

The see themselves as British, formerly 'rulers of the waves' and are very reminiscent of a time when they were the dominant force in the world and no one could influence their rules and laws. For them, the idea of the EU influencing farming quotas, or whatever in Yorkshire versus when the Empire used to rule much of the world is just too much, even though few of them were alive at that time.

Many of them are still much more interested in European cultural experiences than they would be of American.

This is the point. America is a former member of the Empire. She speaks English and uses common law and other similar cultural practices.

Brits are much more emotionally attached to it's former colonies than it is to the EU, which doesn't speak English, doesn't use common law or other British practices.

Brits refer to Americans as their "cousins" where they have a "special relationship". European countries are viewed as rivals and competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Pat back today. Only two mentions of Donald trump in the introduction

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Pat back today. Only two mentions of Donald trump in the introduction

He just said he has John Bolton on shortly, so a whole lot of Trump coming up !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Bolton must be stuck for a few quid. I could understand him doing 1 Irish radio show but this is the 3rd one I've heard him on in the past week

jay0109 wrote: »
    Bolton must be stuck for a few quid. I could understand him doing 1 Irish radio show but this is the 3rd one I've heard him on in the past week

Just on now, the first one I heard on Irish radio. Ya he is doing the rounds !!

LOL , Bolton just said to Pat , from what I have read about you, you don't like Trump too !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pat living on the edge there.

Used the "n" word!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Lucky that twat Healy has gone back to his shed the last interview about offence and the right to be offended would have made his vertue signalling self righteous head explode, it's been a vacuum on irish radio for the last few days 9am -12pm....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The guest just on now - the retired barrister who wrote a book. Henry something.

Says he had a son a government minister and another son was in Love/Hate.

Who was the government minister?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Lucky that twat Healy has gone back to his shed the last interview about offence and the right to be offended would have made his vertue signalling self righteous head explode, it's been a vacuum on irish radio for the last few days 9am -12pm....

Had a meeting so missed that......must listen back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,703 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

BPKS wrote: »
    The guest just on now - the retired barrister who wrote a book. Henry something.

Did Henry mention his famous father?

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/sex-politics-drama-law-all-in-the-family-30638849.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

BPKS wrote: »

I presume it's Eoghan Murphy's father

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The old golden circle just keeps giving & giving :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Why are yanks allowed here or anyone else? Airports should be closed to everyone unless travel is completely essential ie not for holidays or meeting your partner!! New Zealands approach is what we all should have followed.

Why are yanks allowed here or anyone else? Airports should be closed to everyone unless travel is completely essential ie not for holidays or meeting your partner!! New Zealands approach is what we all should have followed.

We couldn't possibly do anything to annoy our American masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Catherine Martin doing herself absolutely no favours here. Her deflection/unwillingness to answer the question about American tourists entering the country was embarrassing. Minister for Tourism leaves a lot to be desired

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Serious dudes.

If there are any Pat Kenny “sound boards” out there that has to go on it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement